I rate on value for money and getting it right in its price range (which avoids comparing a Travelodge with the Savoy). This hotel deserves 5 stars. It was very reasonably priced with spacious clean rooms and very comfortable beds and ample parking outside the door.
There are facts of life that I would not rate with stars. True it would not win prizes for scenic views with its views across a large flat roof to industrial Coventry (think the village in the title is just a name). I would avoid for a romantic weekend but this was business. But then it was central and it was quiet inside. I ought to avoid rating it on being so busy (on a Friday and Saturday) as check in was reasonably swift. It did feel like an inland Pontins and an entertainment programme for the masses. If that is what you want that is fine, and as I have said there was no noise intrusion. Staff were friendly enough too. It sports an equally busy full size Starbucks and the foyer often looked as busy as a main line station, but on the floors above serenity prevailed, fortunately. They must do something right with so many people bustling around
In many ways it excelled but repeated surreal moments caused a two star downgrade. Ringing to reception was a nightmare. No reply! My wife resorted to ringing from her mobile and the staff were surprised no -one answered. ( she only wanted to know if you can order newspapers. The answer is no but they give away a free Independent)They needn't have been surprised as lo and behold when we were at the restaaurant reception they had a query and tried to ring. They gave up too and we muddled through the tariff. Next day when the coffee tray was not replenished, my wife left it ringing off the hook to contact reception. Eventually an answer which went- "room service are in the corridor" My wife "No they are not" Them "They surely are in the corridor". After a Punch and Judy exchange it was left they would contact room service. Nothing happened but my wife found someone late afternoon to take pity on our (minor) plight. Then there was the restaurant. At £29 for 2 with an early bird offer on top, not bad value and not bad food, although think upmarket pub, not fine cuisine. The surreal moment was the real raspberry creme brulee. It was creme, true and certainly brulee, but not a hint of raspberry even though I dug with a spoon. Apparently the raspberries had not arrived and no-one had told anyone, least of all the customer. The couple on the next table had unchewable steaks but the replacements (fillet) were fine for them. The staff were pleasant about it all and tried to make amends but it is hard to eat a second creme brulee when you have eaten your way to the bottom of the first, in search of the hidden fresh raspberries. I so wanted the taste of those raspberries!
So, in summary, great value and not bad in its own way. Better than a Travelodge and it certainly had atmosphere. The food was pretty good despite my tale and so was the breakfast (but what a busy place for breakfast- I have only eaten with as many people on a cruise!) Did they always deliver what was intended. No they tried, but did not. So for the surreal conversations on missing raspberries and the "maid in the corridor- no she's not" saga I can only drop a star on each. Harsh maybe, but it begins to eat away at you as things unfold
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Village Hotel Coventry is located just 5 minutes from Coventry City Centre and an ideal location for accessing the M42 - M6 - M5 and M40 motorways. Birmingham International Airport is 10 miles away and Coventry Train Station just 2 miles. Nearby attractions include Warwick Castle, Bull Ring Shopping Centre and Planet ice skating rink. Village Hotel Coventry has 146 comfortable bedrooms, a choice of stylish dining or a traditional pub, Starbucks Coffee Shop, a relaxing Spa, state-of-the-art Health and Fitness Club, Squash Court, 25 metre Swimming Pool, Meeting and Conference Centre, Live Party Nights, Wedding Licence, free parking and free wi-fi throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Village Hotel Coventry reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Village Hotel And Leisure Club Coventry
- Village Hotel Leisure Coventry
- Hotel Village Coventry