“Could have been 5 star so easily but niggling details slipped it away” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Hotel Coventry

Village Hotel Coventry
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Sussex England
“Could have been 5 star so easily but niggling details slipped it away”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I rate on value for money and getting it right in its price range (which avoids comparing a Travelodge with the Savoy). This hotel deserves 5 stars. It was very reasonably priced with spacious clean rooms and very comfortable beds and ample parking outside the door.

There are facts of life that I would not rate with stars. True it would not win prizes for scenic views with its views across a large flat roof to industrial Coventry (think the village in the title is just a name). I would avoid for a romantic weekend but this was business. But then it was central and it was quiet inside. I ought to avoid rating it on being so busy (on a Friday and Saturday) as check in was reasonably swift. It did feel like an inland Pontins and an entertainment programme for the masses. If that is what you want that is fine, and as I have said there was no noise intrusion. Staff were friendly enough too. It sports an equally busy full size Starbucks and the foyer often looked as busy as a main line station, but on the floors above serenity prevailed, fortunately. They must do something right with so many people bustling around

In many ways it excelled but repeated surreal moments caused a two star downgrade. Ringing to reception was a nightmare. No reply! My wife resorted to ringing from her mobile and the staff were surprised no -one answered. ( she only wanted to know if you can order newspapers. The answer is no but they give away a free Independent)They needn't have been surprised as lo and behold when we were at the restaaurant reception they had a query and tried to ring. They gave up too and we muddled through the tariff. Next day when the coffee tray was not replenished, my wife left it ringing off the hook to contact reception. Eventually an answer which went- "room service are in the corridor" My wife "No they are not" Them "They surely are in the corridor". After a Punch and Judy exchange it was left they would contact room service. Nothing happened but my wife found someone late afternoon to take pity on our (minor) plight. Then there was the restaurant. At £29 for 2 with an early bird offer on top, not bad value and not bad food, although think upmarket pub, not fine cuisine. The surreal moment was the real raspberry creme brulee. It was creme, true and certainly brulee, but not a hint of raspberry even though I dug with a spoon. Apparently the raspberries had not arrived and no-one had told anyone, least of all the customer. The couple on the next table had unchewable steaks but the replacements (fillet) were fine for them. The staff were pleasant about it all and tried to make amends but it is hard to eat a second creme brulee when you have eaten your way to the bottom of the first, in search of the hidden fresh raspberries. I so wanted the taste of those raspberries!

So, in summary, great value and not bad in its own way. Better than a Travelodge and it certainly had atmosphere. The food was pretty good despite my tale and so was the breakfast (but what a busy place for breakfast- I have only eaten with as many people on a cruise!) Did they always deliver what was intended. No they tried, but did not. So for the surreal conversations on missing raspberries and the "maid in the corridor- no she's not" saga I can only drop a star on each. Harsh maybe, but it begins to eat away at you as things unfold

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
wolvey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

the hotel is located off a dual carriageway at the bottom of an industrial estate. the hotel was clean and tidy but is looking older and dated than the other village hotels I have been to. the other problem i encounted was i arrived on a sunday afternoon and wanted to relax before before my meeting on monday, not possible with lots of shouting and swearing coming from the pub watching the football. the breakfast was basic but okay, just not value for money in comparison to other hotel chains

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Mansfield, Notts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Styaed here with 7 colleague during a 2 day workshop. First impressions were ok, looked very busy but was dealt with very quickly for check-in. Room numbering is wierd, I was in 610 which is on the ifrst floor down a long corridor or 3. I counted 5 different types of carpet design from reception to my room - not sure why but hey-ho. The room was large enough with a 2 seat sofa, desk etc however the bathroom was very tired and the grouting around the shower screen and bottom row of tiles was black (someone else complained aout this as I was checking out), the row of floor tiles nearest the bath was cracked and the bathroom walls needed a retouch. All this i can cope with, what has really annoyed me was my meal. We all ate in the Victory pub area and i decided on a meatball sub which sounded great. When it came I dug in and discovered that my 'meatball's were actually 2 overcooked burgers cut into wedges. I complained to be told that this is the normal way of serving a meatball sub! The chap did deduct my meal from the bill with no promptoing and offere dme a repalcement. After I had left the table to go back to my room he apparently told my colleagues that the head chef was going to retrain his staff on making meatballs and that they were changing the menu anyway as some of the chefs couldn't handle it! Now this is pub grub - burgers, grills, lasagne etc so I really dread to think what the restaurant food was like if they can't handle stuff like that. Overall the stay was ok but I would look elsewhere if I had to stay in Coventry again

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed for one night as part of a business meeting, old hotel but tidy and clean staff friendly and helpful, room clean but tired, shower good and bed did provide a good nights sleep.
Breakfast was good.
conference rooms not to bad

Room Tip: none really it as good as it gets for a old hotel
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

i was driving past and thought i would give it a go.A pint of lager and a burger was so expensive.There was a load of chavs sat watching the television.I mentioned to the bar staff about the noise they was making, he just shrugged his shoulders.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
DamianGoom, General Manager at Village Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to the Victory Pub. the bar is very popular with both hotel and local residents who enjoy watching the football and sporting events on our big screens. We believe that our prices represent great value for the quality of product and surroundings.
We do have two other options for dining/snacks in the hotel for guests who prefer not to be part of this atmosphere.
We hope to be able to welcome you back to see what else we have to offer
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

This hotel has excellent facilties, in terms of the room, restaurant and fitness facilities. What makes this hotel too, is the staff. every person in the hotel, reception, restaurant, and fitness centre were very helpful.
The food was exceptionally good value for money, as well as well cooked and presented.
Would definately reccomend it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your review of the hotel and the kind comments you have made about the team, facilities and food here. We find the comments placed on this site very useful for helping to constantly improve the hotel and I shall ensure you comments are shared.
We hope to see you again soon

Budleigh Salterton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

My wife and I were lucky enough to get our dog qualified for entry into Crufts this year. We stayed overnight on the 9th/10th March which we wanted to do so that we did not have a long early morning drive before the show. We arrived and noticed the hotel seemed to be in the middle of a trading estate. We checked in and were directed to our room. The room was ok and we settled in easily. We decided to eat in the restaurant which was ok but rather expensive ( we were too late to take advantage of the early bird meals ). Service was fine. When we decided to go to bed we arranged an eary morning call and it was at this time we discovered they did not start serving breakfast until 8:00am. As we wanted to be at Crufts by 08:00 we decided to order a breakfast to go. The night's sleep was okay and the early morning call was on time. The shower was ok but there was no shower gel in the dispenser.... We packed and went down to load up the car with dog and cases and to collect our breakfast. It was there waiting for us neatly placed in a row along the top of the counter of reception. Two cardboard cups of coffee, two clear plastic containers of fresh fruit, two clear plastic containers of orange juice, two paper bags containing fruit pastries, and two plastic spoons. No serviettes so I had to help myself from the nearby Starbucks. Looking at the array of containers I asked the receptionist if she had a carrier bag or something to put the breakfast in she went out the back and came back smiled sweetly and said "Sorry". I said surely they must have something ....a cardboard box or similar to pack the breakfasts in. She turned to a male who was hanging around the reception (I guess he may have been something to do with the kitchen) who with an expressionless face said "We aint got any". So I was left to traipse backward and forward to the car, without any offer of help, and to try and put the containers in the car propped up to hopefully arrive at Crufts without too much spillage.
Sadly our last impression of the hotel was a shower without shower gel and a surly member of staff whose attitude to customer satisfaction was the last thing on his mind. A disappointing end to an otherwise average experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bobandtinaC
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your review. It is disappointing to hear that your stay was not 100%, especially as this could have been easily avoided. I intend to use this review when training the Front desk staff to ensure that this does not happen again in the future.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve.