“Could be better”

Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Staff friendly, hotel has good and bad points, good are room size, free wifi throughout, nice leisure facilities, and on site pub. Bad points are rooms are a very long walk from reception up and down stairs, rooms are basic, no toiletries provided, bathroom tiles loose, bedroom wall patched up with grey plaster!? And restaurant food very disappointing especially at top prices, found food in pub area was actually better.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The place was being paid for by the company so any thing is a bonus in my eyes, it had everything .Could have had a less fancy room service menu .after a long days work you just need food and plenty
But yep gym, pool , bar food and breakfast all as I would have expected for the price

And that’s were my good points stop why … I will tell you the first night I took a shower all was going well until I stepped out the bath right onto my back cracking my head in the process as I regained my sense I had notice yes towel was on the floor but floor and towel was waterlogged ,not to put to fine a word on it (see photo)the shower head had sprung a leak and as I was in the shower it was arcing our the glass shower panel onto the floor

Good thing I am not one of those that cry compo I thought rooms were checked looks like maintenance is not one of there strong points. But do not worries I fixed it as good as I was able too still needs attention

Just check the fixture before use if you use them

Room Tip: get to the gym & pool early as it get manic ,room service is ok for one or two night not if y...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Booked 2 standard rooms for a one night stay via their website. No problems and when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised to have been upgraded to "king size" rooms in the extension at the rear of the hotel - a very long walk away involving 2 lifts or sets of stairs. These rooms are quite big and have all that you would expect, including free wifi. The only downside that I would see is that there is no air con, which I think could be an issue in the summer. Otherwise, the small heater was fine, smart flat screen tv, and very quiet.

One thing we did notice when we went to our rooms, the corridor was littered with piles of dirty sheets/towels. This was at 4pm and there were no cleaning staff around. It was mentioned at reception and they commented that this hadn't been overlooked. However, when we left the hotel for the evening at 6.45pm it was still there. Not a good impression for a new guest.

The breakfast was fine and we noted that it's open to the public for only £5.95 which would be great value for a full english, cereals, toast, tea/coffee, etc. Service was good too.

What put a dampener on check-out is the £2.50 surcharge for paying via a credit card. It wasn't pointed out to me when paying, but as I turned away I saw a tv screen at the end of reception flash it up between ads. I therefore assumed that I hadn't been charged it, but when I check my final invoice it was there. Poor practice this, when you think I can buy £10 worth of stuff in my small local shops with no extra charge but here I am paying £187. Not impressed and would make me think twice before using de Vere again, not for the money (I can afford that!), I just feel cheated.

The other disappointment was we were looking forward to a coffee/snack when we arrived, before going out. Village Hotels used to have good facilities but have now subbed this to Starbucks. Crap coffee, not cheap and I don't usually use them but had no choice. Their coffee hasn't improved since I stopped using them, and of course, I pay taxes on my hard-earned pension!! With me, you've shot yourselves in the foot twice here, de Vere, hence lower marks.

Room Tip: The "upper Deck" rooms at the rear of the hotel are very big and quiet but they are a long...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank StagsBOD
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Our work party was booked for this willy wonka party event planned at the establishment. Myself and my mother decided to stay over for the night in the hotel. I have absolutely no complaints about the hotel room. For the price we paid it was lovely and the breakfast was delicious.
However myself and my party were absolutely disgraced with the event. We were supposed to be seated at 8 to order our food and it wasn't until almost 9 that we were seated. Other tables were receiving their food before we had even ordered, when we complained about the wait and the fact we had a diabetic on the table becoming ill from the wait for food, we were met with the reply off 'well we can get her food and then take you orders'. We come as a party and want to eat together. When the good finally arrived it was not what was advertised. The vegetarian option did not come with a vegetable gratinee but more of a tomato sauce with courgette in. The desert of toffee pudding was dry and came with the smallest portion of toffee sauce I have ever seen. Then when the meal was thankfully over, the disco was held in a separate smaller room which didn't accommodate the demand it saw. The edible table decorations was a single Christmas tree on a table of 20 with about 5 chocolates placed around and a handful of tiny candy canes hanging off it. The drinks were ridiculously over priced. The chocolate fountains as advertised was actually one chocolate fountains which was then not on operation after dinner. Before the meals had even finished the decorations were being taken away and the 'magic' was surely stripped even further away. The quiz winners were never announced and the answers never called out.
Myself and my party will never book on another event with the company. Absolute waste of money.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Colette101
DamianGoom, General Manager at Village Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your comments regarding our Christmas Party Event. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy the event especially as we have had such good feedback from others.
As this is a banqueting event all parties are called into the room together, this happened at 8pm and we then served the food to every table at the same time after we have taken an order.
Once you had alerted us to the fact that one of your party was diabetic we offered to get your food immediately and serve your table before others.
Once again thank you for your comments which we will use to review future events
Kind regards
Damian Goom
Benoni, South Africa
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed here for one night during the past weekend. A very nice Hotel with lots to do for the sporty people! Friendly staff and a super fast and effective Reception.
I really cannot recommend eating at the Pub, the food was tasteless and really not good. No salt in the rice, Chicken was tasteless, penne and sauce was watery. For such a classy Hotel I expected the food to be tasty.

Room Tip: Room's do not have a view on the side, ask to look before taking a room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

For the price range, The Village has a lot of things going for it. The use of the large gym and wifi for free was excellent. There is a bar, restaurant, and Starbucks on site but wasn't really anywhere you could sit down quietly to do any work (other than your room).

There is plenty of parking available and that's primarily thanks to the hotel being in the middle of nowhere ;) it is very easy to get to from the main roads though and is well signposted.

Reception was friendly and efficient, the standard rooms were ok but erring towards needing a refurbishment.. The floor in my room moved when you walked over it which made the desk creak!! Hotel bedroom areas were relatively quiet considering how busy the reception area was.

I didn't upgrade (£20) but it may be worth considering if you stay in the future as the standard rooms are decidedly standard... You get what you pay for.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Writing this at 23.12 and music has got slightly quieter or at least someone has turned down the bass. So much for getting to sleep ready for a busy day tomorrow. Can't believe they ask guests to be quiet returning to rooms after 10.30 pm when the music from downstairs is worse!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business