“weekend away”

GreenLeadersBronze level
rotherham
“weekend away”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Went on weekend with national holiday with my husband for his birthday hotel staff friendly room very clean evening meal good only thing waiter took my husband plate away before I had finished my meal which we didn't like should have waited breakfast was nice as well

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
NovotelCoventry, General Manager at Novotel Coventry, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Novotel Coventry.
Feedback is very important to us, your comments will be shared with teams.

Thank you again for your comments,we look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Coventry again in the future.

Jackie Clarke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Cornwall
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights on business trip, lovely hotel, would definitely recommend. All staff extremely welcoming and accommodating at all times. Couldn't fault room [spotless], service or food [menu is excellent!]. I look forward to visiting again!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
NovotelCoventry, General Manager at Novotel Coventry, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Novotel Coventry. I am very pleased to read you found the hotel suitable for your business.
Your comments are very important to us and I will be sharing your review with the team at Novotel Coventry.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Novotel Coventry int eh near future.

Jackie ClarKe
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Upon arriving I didn't think much to the exterior of the building, very dated and prison like. However, many improvements have been made inside and the reception, waiting and bar area were of the highest class. The staff were very professional, welcoming and helpful . The room was very clean and pleasant, I slept in the comfortable king-size bed. My visit was business related and so used the conference rooms with lunch provided. The rooms were well presented and arranged and the food was nice and varied as I had three days of conferences. breakfast in the mornings was very good with a wide variety and the evening menu was also varied and of good quality. All in all a very pleasant stay and would go back again. The exterior were long forgot about once inside.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Novotel Coventry
I am pleased to read your enjoyed the experience. Your comments will be shared with the team here at Novotel Coventry.

Customer feeedback is important to us to ensure that we continue to offer a welcoming service to our guests.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Novotel Coventry in the very near future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We had a very pleasant stay in Novotel Coventry. We arrived and found the reception lounge area warm and welcoming. the staff were very helpful and very pleasant, always smiling. was more than happy with our bedroom, it was clean and spacious and the bed very comfortable. the food was lovely and plenty of choice for breakfast. so we were very happy with our staff and if we are in the area again, we will definitely return.

Room Tip: ground floor room was lovely, if the rest on the other two floors the same, then I would be more tha...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to right a review on your recent stay ay Novotel Coventry.
Guest feedback is very important to us to ensure that we deliver the service that is expected by our guest.
I will be sharing your comments with the team in the hotel as this is very important to them.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Novotel Coventry again the very near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I had positive expectations of this Novotel, having used the brand in the past. What a vile place this is however.

Located next to the motorway on the edge of an industrial estate, the Soviet style exterior should be treated as a warning sign. Surely the interior can't be as bad? Actually no, the reception and bar area are quite pleasant! The room on the other hand, grim. Artex walls and ceilings, a filthy toilet and no amount of updated furniture could hide the failings of the room. Bed was hard, lumpy and uncomfortable, way below the standard of the average chain hotel bed these days. Bathroom was good, shower worked well and the bath did the job.

Breakfast was just an average hotel breakfast, disappointing given the amount charged. Service from staff was fairly decent throughout, Fadika on the bar specifically went above and beyond.

On my second night, a guest described by staff as a "regular" made a number of offensive remarks and then proceeded to make several attempts to assault me in the bar and stairwell of the hotel. Of course, this was after a few drinks had been consumed, but the hotel were largely unapologetic.

I appreciate the hotel cannot control the behaviour of guests, but I gave them the option of refunding my nights stay to retain my custom. They opted not to do so, the manager even stating that I would not do so in my own business. Actually, as explained at the time, I would and indeed am required to do so by the franchise agreement within which I trade.

I paid £210 for two nights in this hotel, the standard of which was far poorer than Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express. My business travel will revert to Holiday Inn after this escapate.

The manager too my contact details, but has not been in touch since my departure.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank David C
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback.

I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay and the incident you refer to is being investigated internally.

Our hotel is part of an ongoing refurbishment program and the toilet in which you have mentioned is being upgraded in line with the bathrooms starting next week.

Since your departure i have tried to contact you via email so i apologise this has not been received, If you would like to speak to me then please contact me on jackie.clarke@accor.com and i will happily call you at your convenience.

Kind Regards
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Visually, this isn't great from the outside, but being away with work and needing to stay close to the Ricoh Arena, this seemed ideal, and besides; its only for sleeping in, right?

The toilet was seperate to the actual bathroom which I've not seen in a hotel before. Between the artex decorated walls, yellow/beige bedsheets and grim decor of the room, this was NOT a pleasant stay!!

There was no main light in the room, so I had to have every single light on in the room to allow me to see properly in the room. The drainage in the bath/shower was awful and do not even get me started on the disgusting smell I got from the sink drainwhen I ran the tap to brush my teeth before bed! Needless to say, I brushed my teeth with a bottle of volvic water in the morning!!

The bed was hard,the pillows not great. The aircon (if it could be called that) was crap. The tv volume was limited to 23, which was fine but not particularly loud. The hairdryer had stray hairs stuck to it and there was only 1 power socket in the room which was miles away from the mirror, so was rubbish for getting ready and drying hair!!

I opted to go down to the buffet breakfast and was looking forward to a nice english breakfast, however was greeted with a long blond hair lying over the top of the bacon!!! - I did NOT eat that morning, yuck!!

Avoid this hotel like the plague!!

If they spent time on their rooms, halls and food as they have the bar area, this could potentially be a decent place to stay...but until then, we certainly will not be going back.

• Stayed May 2014
NovotelCoventry, General Manager at Novotel Coventry, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We constantly upgradign areas of the hotel, and as you noted we have recently completed all of the public areas including the bar and lounge area. Our bedrooms have all had new bathrooms fitted and are all undergoing new carpeting with a further 25 to be completed this year. I have brought to the attention of those managers concerned regarding your comment on areas of cleanliness and i assure you that this will be looked into. Thank you again for the feedback as I take this very seriously and I ensure you action will be taken where necessary.

Scarborough
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We visited the Novotel at Coventry we have visited before and were very impressed, it is good to know that it still has the same high standard's that it had on our previous trip. good food rooms clean and staff very helpful I would return for a third time.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed good
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
NovotelCoventry, General Manager at Novotel Coventry, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Reviewer

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

It is always a pleasure to receive nice feedback and I will share this with my team as I'm sure it will serve as an encouragement to all going forward.

We really look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit and hope it is a pleasent as the last.

Kind Regards