“nice but badly managed”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Friuli
“nice but badly managed”
Reviewed 21 March 2011

The hotel is pretty nice with a beautiful garden , a large hall, nice restaurants... but ! We had booked a triple room, at the chech-in the bed for my daughter wasn't ready yet. At the reception a very nice girl promised it would have been made soon. When we returned in the evening the bed wasn't ready , at 9.00 p.m. since nobody had made it ( or even worst : at the reception they wanted to give me the sheets to make it but "unluckily" they couldn't find a duvet.. ) they decided to give us a single room for my daughter.
We had had dinner at the hotel, very nice indeed, but when we checked out the restaurant had not given our room number to the reception so they couldn't charge us the dinner : good for us but they should be more careful in their organization...
Nice pool, sauna ( it can be an extra, depends on the kind of booking).. great place for conventions and weddings

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 2 April 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us, which I read with interest and concern. I do feel it is a shame you did not speak to our duty manager or indeed myself or my deputy as we could have resolved any issues and take great care to do so when something is brought to our attention

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Polish first
Cork Ireland
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I Arrived to find nice and helpful staff on reception (this didn't last !!, The room was a bit of a disaster , I had booked a twin room for my daughter and I but when we got to the room there was a double and a camping style bed which besides looking like a health hazard was torn and undressed - After asking reception to remove it and waiting 2 hours for anything to happen I managed to find a somewhat unsuspecting porter lurking in the rather dim corridor , Who i managed to coerce into helping me remove the bed as far as the corridor Where it remained for the duration of our stay ...... The next series of Issues were contained the Bathroom .... The first issue was that the Hand basin did not empty which as anyone can imagine made hand washing most difficult !! the next was that the shower didn't work so the only option was the spa bath which was somewhat unpredictable with its water pressure which made for a very interesting bath !! , as well as this another issue which i spotted was that there was no handrail for climbing in and out of the bath so lucky for me i didn't fall over and cause myself a potentially serious injury ,
I found the food rather inconsistent the first night it was rather horrible everything looked dried out and there wasn't much left , The second night it was much better and rather nice but I did find it interesting when I wanted a slice of lemon for my salmon the chief gave me lemon which had been on cooked fish for quite some time as well as this I was disappointed to find that when I went to get some dessert there was none left . I was however really impressed with the fact I was able to bring my dog into the bar with me and that there was plenty of outside space to let my dogs have a run , All in all the hotel was rather inconsistent I did consider myself lucky after going to a friends room in the same hotel with was awful in comparison to mine I did also notice that each time I went to complain there were many others there at the time so I know I wasn't alone !! If I thought that the hotel would improve there standard I would probably stay again as I found that for visiting crufts the hotel was in a great location for traveling to the nec anf was very dog friendly

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as yours that we can constantly monitor the standards of service we offer our guests.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I will investigate the points raised in your review and speak to the relevant Department Managers to address the difficulties you experienced.

I am concerned that the problems experienced were not brought to our duty managers attention, as any problems would have been addressed if the concerns were reported and all necessary actions to rectify the situation would have been taken.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and please accept my sincere apologies once again that it was necessary to do so.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2011

This February was our third year staying at this badly run hotel. 2009 the first time we stayed was OK, didn't expect much as it is one of the few hotels that accept dogs. We stay here because it is where our clubs trophy weekend is held. Room was Ok, clean, tidy. The following year , all change.......we arrived on the Friday to book in ...total chaos..our room we booked had been given to someone else who had just arrived that day. We were offered a 2nd floor room which was not good enough as we had specifically booked ground floor. We were allocated a ground floor room eventually. This was not big enough to swing a cat in.We had to stack table and chairs onto the cabinet to make enough room to accomodate our 3 dogs. Moved our bed up against the radiator from which behind was lumps of plaster that had fallen off the wall. We were not the only guest to find they had not been allocated a room. Some had to find alternative accomodation elsewhere. So to safeguard this situation from happening this year
FEB 2011 we were told to book and pay for up front through the hotel itself. (4th march 2010). January 17th 2011 we had to cancel the Friday and the Sunday nights but still have Saturday night. Simple for a hotel (its what they do is it not?) This was done and the 2 nights refunded. all was well. Because of the hassle the year before I insisted my wife phoned the hotel to make sure all was ok for our room on the Saturday. After some considerable time the chap on reception eventually found our booking and confirmed all was ok. On the Saturday we were in high spirits arriving early to book in. We were soon dragged down to earth when we were told that our room we so carefully booked by their rules had been given to someone else AGAIN. So if we had not turned up they would have had our money and let the room twice. After remonstrating with the young girl at reception and a young lad her senior we got A room ,not what we ordered but some where to sleep or try to. Single beds with worn out lumpy mattresses. We asked to speak with the General Manager Mrs Heather Thomas. Who sweet talked all the right words but did nothing about it. Mrs Thomas assured us she would look into the situation and get back to us. She asked us if we would be there the next day (obviously as we were there to see the dog show.) She said she would come and see us and let us know how this had happened again. The next day (Sunday) we waited... nothing so we enquired at the reception. We were told it was her DAY OFF!!. She obviously had no intention of doing anything she said and blatantly lied her head off. I believe almost all the staff at this hotel would benefit from a course in CUSTOMER CARE.
If all this wasn't enough to put you off, yesterday Saturday 19th March 2011, I received a bank statement from Santander (this account was closed end of February) stateing my account was overdrawn by the some of £170 icurring charges on top. The hotel had charged us AGAIN for 3 nights. I was now in a furious state of mind . My wife phoned the hotel and asked to speak to The GM Heather Thomas. Not in this evening. Asked for next in line and spoke to ANGELA OLDHAM conference officer. To be fair Angela must be the only helpful qualified person at the hotel. She listened but could not believe what we had been through. Angela has refunded our money taken by the hotel and promised they will pay my bank charges. She emailed a screen shot from her computer showing the transaction. I just hope the money appears in my new account ASAP this week. Thankyou Angela Oldham, I just hope next February goes smoothly or I will not be responsible for my actions. Monday I will attempt to ring the Head Office and complain again. PS God knows what our foreign friends must think of this hotel. They came over from the EU , SA. USA. etc.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to see that you have booked with us again for next year.

As you are aware, I did speak with you on the Saturday morning and as promised would investigate and come back to you, and asked if you would be in all Sunday. As it transpired I found out the reason for the mix up, which was that you were booked for a three night stay and allocated the room of your choice. As stated, you then cancelled Friday and Saturday and for some reason, and as I explained when I caught up with you later, our computer then with the cancellation de-allocated the room you were suppose to be and made a completely new booking and also did not release the first booking which is why I then queried with yourself but you assured me your wife had had the refund for the nights which you were not using. By the time you had arrived, as the room was not linked to your new booking, we had allocated it to another party who had arrived on the Friday night. I did apologise for this but as we were full house I could not change your room. I did not need to return on Sunday (my only day off) as I had already had a further conversation with you later in the day. I do not blatantly lie, I spoke with you and your wife three times that day and there was nothing further I could do for you as we were at 100% occupancy.

I am pleased that Angela was able to sort out the payment error for you so efficiently this was again linked to the cancelled booking and charged as a NO SHOW. I apologise for this error and will take this up with our control department to find out why this occurred.
hull.
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I think from memory we have stayed at the Hotel four times in the last 15 years,and we have always had a pleasant stay..so much so that we will be there for 4 nights,week commencing 21st March 2011,on an organised bus holiday. these we enjoying having as we have stayed in some very good Hotels and look forward to our next break at the Royal Court

• Stayed August 2010
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
Dear Mrs Hull

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to seeing you once again.

Kind regards
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Rooms average, but service excellent ania in the bar service to detail & derise nothing to much. Food good stayin in britannia's alot I don't expect to much but the head chef should be given his own knighthood. Definately value for money.

• Stayed March 2011
Thank you so much for your review - you gave all the staff named such a lift, Ania is still smiling

Head Chef gratefully accepts her knighhood :-)

Thank you for your kinds words, always such a joy when someone notices the good service the staff do try to deliver.
london
Reviewed 7 March 2011

we stayed at this hotel because it was selected by our organiser because it was cheap. £130 for two nights dinner bed and breakfast for the two of us. We found that most things were OK, but when it came to meal times there was no management supervision. So although the staff were pretty attentive and pleasant, if there were no knives, or plates, or tea and coffee, there was no one empowered to sort it out.
And the food wasn't that good - cold and contract style.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank weedyx

Thank you again for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Booked a pamper package, but from central reservations to hotel reception, staff did not seem too aware what this involved. We were charged for a room upgrade which should have been free; the upgraded room had a broken window and 6FT stain on the ceiling - all supposedly executive standard; we had to chase complimentary chocolates and champagne twice; lockers in fitness centre predominantly broken much to the annoyance of regular members let alone hotel guests; website boasts being in 12 acres but I would suggest 11 acres is probably hotel and car park!
Spa staff were great - yes a positive statement - but do not be taken in by the pictures of the old hotel building. It's windows are held together by gaffa tape and it is a shame such large red brick accommodation blocks have been built in grounds and alongside such an old property - all not very appealing as you drive into the property - added to which there are rather dirty looking nets at all windows. I did complain on all fronts and whilst my wife and I were refunded the room upgrade charge (which should have not been payable in the first place!) - no additional reimbursement was offered as clearly Britannia Group management reckon their facilities represent good value and quality. They really need to think again! We have stayed in far far superior hotels and suggest others look elsewhere too, unless you secure a rock bottom priced deal!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple