“Disgusting disgraceful and dirty !”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Disgusting disgraceful and dirty !”
Reviewed 19 April 2011

I paid to treat my parents to a break for my mother's birthday. I paid for an executive suite and was told their would be a flat screen TV and jacuzi bath in their room. I explained they were elderly and asked if a special effort could be made for them as it was a birthday treat! My parents were put in a room that was dirty , floors were not clean and the TV was a very old fashioned one. Their room overlooked the laundry dept! The evening meal was a BIG disapointment, as there was no choice . It is advertised as a 3 course carvery meal . Thje only meet offered was beef with carrots peas and potatoes. The food was tasteless and cold. Carpets were thread bare in the building and ash trays were bursting with cigarete ends. Tables were left dirty and overloaded with plates and dirty glasses etc ec !! The outside of the building was cluttered with litter and dog faeces! It smelt of urine!! The staff were unkempt and displayed very little manners and interest in the presentation of the hotel and its service. The only plus was that the bed in my parents room was reasonably comfortable. My parents never used the Jacuzi as it was not clean. The food and presentation was a disgrace. They were hungry because the food was not very apetising and would most definitely never return or recommend this hotel to anyone. I am very disapointed as my parents birthday treat ended up being a nightmare!!! Thanks for the rip off Royal Court!! You should be ashamed of your selves. I would like to be reembursed but hey , I can't imagine you would have any conscience to give it back..

A very unhappy and disgusted customer!!! Ms G

Room Tip: don't go there!!
1 Thank msGrace2009
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Thank you for your review - however, I must recifiy a few issues. We do not and never have advertised flat screen TV's this would not be in keeping with the rest of our decor. As our hotel is built in a u shape on the bedroom block, all the inner garden windows over look the laundry lane but as this is only open between 9am and 4pm when the housekeeping team are in house and it is only usee to move cages of linen on and off a truck as we do not do in house laundry this is very little disturbance to our guests, however it is a very necessary evil, to get clean linen.

On our website our restaurant is advertised as " offers a hearty breakfast and home cooked buffet menu in elegant surroundings" Dinner is always three course menu with choice of two starters and a selection of entrees and one roast of the day. As you state the only offer was beef, I can then assure you on checking our menus the other dishes on offer were sweet and sour pork, and Chicken in a white wine sauce. compimented by a selcetion of vegetables. With a selection of Gauteuxs or a choice of either vanilla or chocolate moose.

I can assure you that their is NO dog faeces or litter in front of my hotel, and all our guests who are responsible dog owners, use the facilities provided free of charge, or risk a £75 soilage charge.

As for dirty tables and ash trays on viewing the garden cameras I cannot see at any time this did indeed happen. What I do not understand, is why they did not ask to talk with anyone at the hotel, if they were indeed this upset or hungry. And once again why did you not call to discuss the matter with myself. To state that we have RIPPED you off is unfair and unwarranted comment

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed at the Royal Court from Monday 11th. to Friday 15th.April 2011.
After reading the reviews on this hotel it would appear that they fall into two distinct catagories. Those who have booked independently or on business and those, like ourselves, who were with a large group on a coach basesd holiday. The former all seem to give favourable reviews while the latter give unfavourable reviews. Our review falls under the latter catagory!

I would first recommend anybody who is booking, particularly non-smokers, to ensure you are given a non-smoking room. THE WHOLE OF THE THIRD FLOOR AND ONE SIDE OF THE SECOND FLOOR ARE SMOKING ROOMS. We were in room 472 on the third floor. When we first enered the room it absolutely reaked of cigarette smoke. Assuming that someone had been smoking illicitly we reported this to reception who furnished us with a bottle of odour neutraliser! It was not until Wednesday that we were informed that we were in a smoking room. We were under the impression, apparently wrongly, that since the introduction of the smoking ban all hotel rooms were non-smoking.

The dining experience was just that - an experience! We have never dined in hotel dining room which was so disorganised. Our group were allocated specific tables - some in the Restaurant and some in the Orangery - which was a waste of time as this quickly deteriorated into a free for all to sit wherever a space was available. We do not know how people can say service was good in a dining room where, apart from clearing tables, there WAS no service. Everything was help yourself! Starters consisted of soup, salad on the first day. Soup and nothing else on day two etc. Mains were a single carvery plus two other hot (warm) dishes which were not very appealing. As in other reviews the veg was also never more than warm. The servery was continually running out of plates leading to long queues. Desserts were the same every night and mainly consisted of gateaux - but no cream! When we asked for cream we were told "we don't do cream". Breakfast was just as bad. The fried eggs looked aneamic the jam and marmalade were in the middle of all the hot food, the cereal was in clear perspex dispensers, which were so high some of the smaller guests didn't even see them! On the Friday morning there was only the Restaurant available for breakfast. With five coach groups checking out that day it was absolute chaos. We have NEVER seen such queues of people waiting for tables at a breakfast sitting. People were really angry at the length of time the were having to wait.

So, despite some good reviews, we could not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011
Having received your letter of complaint, I am amazed that you did not await a reply, if as you say, are interessed in what the hotel has to say, prior to posting this review.

Firstly may I say that the law states that you can infact have smoking bedrooms within your establishment - however, you may not have smoking in public areas. You are in fact in error when you state the the WHOLE 3RD FLOOR AND ONE SIDE OF THE SECOND are smoking rooms. Only ONE WING of the 3rd floor houses smoking rooms and 6 rooms on the very end of the the 4th floor have smoking rights. which gives you a total of 30 rooms within a 210 bedroom hotel.

With regard to the dining room arrangements - if the group tour guests had read their welcome pack, and taken notice of the Duty Manager who boarded the coach to talk you through the weeks arrangements, and also took time to read the huge tour board in the reception, they would have adhered to their dining times and furthermore sat at correct tables and in the correct rooms. with 5 tours in ONLY the two groups that you were with, choose not to.

With regard to the comments on "everything was help yourself" - I will refer to our website which clearly states " It offers a hearty breakfast and home cooked buffet menu in elegant surroundings" There is a self service element to our buffet this way you can have a look at what is offered and help yourself to as much or as little as you wish.

Everyday there is a roast of the day and two other entrees plus a vegetarian option. On the first day it was Honey roast Gammon, Braised steak or Chicken Chasseur. The second was Roast Turkey, Ham and Mushroom Pie or Plaice. There is ALWAYS a 2nd choice of starter. Yes we do not do pouring cream as the Gateaux are RICH CREAM gateaux.

I do not wish to seem rude or defensive, but I do feel that it is only fair to state what is truly on offer, I can understand if it was not to your taste but our chef is ALWAYS willing to assist with something different if a request is made. It is easy to walk away from an hotel and place your reviews on line but I do feel it is only fair it is balanced and that the opportunity was offered to the estblishment to rectify, if they can, at the time.

Travellers are raving about these Coventry hotels

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2011

After reading the reviews after making my booking i was prepared to eat out elsewhere but decided to try eating in on my first night. Excellent service and good value meal. After reading all the bad reviews i was wondering if i was in the same hotel . My only complaint is i know the rooms need updating but i think the management should make a start on replacing the beds. Overall though excellent value for money and would definately book here again

Room Tip: bring your own coffee
1 Thank scross78
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Thank you so much for your kind review - and we appreicate your sentiment. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and the Restaurant Manager and Chef we very pleased with your comments.

I know the hotel is dated but as with everything it is taking us time to get around all the rooms. I have started on the beds and I hope that soon we will have all 211 bedrooms up to scratch on beds.

I do hope you will visit us again and will be able to see the improvements we are making
Best regards
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2011

This place seems to make most of it's money from corporate functions and the coach holiday market. While this a perfectly acceptable way of making a living, it does create images of a certain type of hotel, which this place does little to dispel.

On arrival you are met by a large, slightly daunting and rather empty foyer with a lonely old piano in the middle that doesn't look like it's been played for many years. Reception is in the corner of this area, opposite one of the bars. The reception staff were perfectly polite and dealt with our booking swiftly. Our room was on the ground floor and was quite pleasent although a little impersonal (I always find that pictures screwed to the wall give a bad impression, although I appreciate why the hotel has to do it). The room was fitted with a spa bath and although this was enjoyable I couldn't help thinking that the noise of the thing would wake the whole place if it was used late at night. The buffet style breakfast was very good and is one of the better breakfasts I have had in hotels recently. Breakfast staff were also very helpful and pleasent.

We had quite an enjoyable one night stay but did not sample the full range of facilities this hotel had to offer. It was good value for what we paid and the breakfast was very good. But don't expect an intimate atmosphere, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank fork_handles
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and so hope you will return. I agree with you that with 210 bedrooms, 18 conference rooms and an average occupancy of +200 guests each day, intimacy is hard to come by. However, as you say we are value for money and our staff are friendly and working hard to improve each day.

Thank you for your honest feedback.
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2011

on booking in the staff seemed very friendly and the hotel looked a lot grander on the inside than the outside . stopped on the 1st floor the public ways were a bit shabby around the lift areas . the room was very clean and well decorated and were quite spacious the bathroom was again very clean and had a great big spa bath which was really nice to use . after reading reviews about this hotel on this site we were really unsure what to expect , but we both enjoyed our stay and the food was first class a very great chice at breakfast also good selection in the carvery .what with a bottle of wine thrown in what fab value for money
one big tip though, book for dinner at seven (first sitting ) to beat the crowds as the carvery is at its best then being fully stocked at this time . there are alot of coach tours staying there so go early for dinner and breakfast to avoid the crowds

Room Tip: book to eat at seven
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank crimsontoad
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 8 April 2011
Thank you somuch for your review and I appreciate the honesty of it. We are working on the hotel and public areas but I am pleased to see you that enjoyed your stay with us.

Head Chef was very pleased that you enjoyed the food and for the 1st class rating - we do hope you will stay with us again in the future

Kind regards
portsmouth
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Quick service at reception and soon arrived at the room , panicking thinking it
will be about to fall apart, after reading the posts on here.
But everything seemed in order and yes the shower only had one speed,
which is ideal for almost everyone ( obviously not everyone :D)
Booked through TZoo and got a spa room DBB offer and well worth the money.
Dinner was nice and also was the breakfast. All meals were hot and plentiful.
Definately will come back if this way again.

2 Thank mmmz
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for your kinds words.

I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to you returning to the Royal Court

Best regards
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We went to this hotel as part of a coach tour. The location of the hotel is lovely, grounds are nice, looks great from the outside and the reception area is good.

The rooms are a bit tired but we weren't expecting too much for the price we paid. Just carpets that are stained and worn and furniture and curtains etc that are looking a bit neglected. Bathroom etc clean enough though.

We stayed on a bed and breakfast and evening meal basis though and I have to say had there been somewhere close to go we would have abandoned all the provided meals on the second day and gone elsewhere. Even the room we dined in was a dark, tired, deathly quiet old function room with no windows. It truly was the worst dining experience/service in a hotel I've ever come across and I think we would have felt better catered for and looked after at a school canteen or a nursing home!

The whole service was a shambles with one small hot plate of food to cater for a room full of people. This was continually running out and at breakfast time rarely had all the trays full. Food at breakfast was actually closer to stone cold than it was to luke warm and this was when it first arrived at the serving point. People had to stand in long queues to get to the serving plate only to find there was no plates and they had to wait some more, then they would only be able to get say bacon and tomatoes and then would have to come back later when the eggs were refilled and then back again for toast etc! The quality of the food itself was pretty poor with bacon being more fat than bacon and hash browns that were so greasy they'd all moulded together into one big lump you had to chip away at.

The evening meal had one joint of meat and three trays of soggy cold vegetables. All this was luke warm. Desserts were on a table and ran out almost as soon as they were put out. Coffee and Tea was served in 2 small urns, also continually running out along with the milk and the cups. So you frequently waited for coffee then realised there were no cups and then the milk would run out.

Staff were clearly unprepared and no sense of apology or urgency about bringing food refills and new crockery. When people did voice their concern they showed no concern and verged on being rude with their responses.

Saying all this, I imagine if you book this independently then you dine somewhere else with a different dining experience. Like I say, we didn't pay a great deal and so it was clear the management were happy to pile everyone into any available space and provide the most basic meal service they could get away with. The general feeling was that they would have let us eat from a trough if they could have got away with it!

Customers did try and speak to the manager and the driver also tried to but was told she was unavailable that weekend.

All in all, I'd probably stay in the hotel again if I booked it independently and it was a good price and I knew the dining experience would be better.

Anyone who is looking at this on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis as part of a group I'd avoid it completely. It's cheap and you will get fed as promised but it's barely edible, stone cold and you might struggle to find any crockery to eat it with!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank fightingfit
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 2 April 2011
Thank you for your letter and I am sorry that you felt the Royal Court Hotel was not up to the standard you would have liked.

The Royal Court is a 18 bed roomed country house hotel with a further bedroom block of 192 bedrooms which service our very large conference centre and offer value for money. I do appreciate that sometimes there are conflicting expectations, but we are always here to talk to and discuss any issues so that we can try to remedy any complaints. We appreciate that our hotel is suffering from wear and tear; however, we our prices reflect this.

We catered for 250 guests that weekend and this is the first complaint I have had regarding the food. The normal fare on the buffet, is a roast joint, and then two other dishes. I did in fact speak with a driver but he only appraoched me well after the meal, as the chef would gladly have offered an alternative, we often have guests who have dietary requirements and we are happy to offer an alternative.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion