“Please avoid this Hotel at any costs”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Please avoid this Hotel at any costs”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I booked this hotel using my Airmiles and We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during November last year and this is easily the worst hotel I have stayed in my life so far.
On our arrival we were allocated a room which was fair bit of walk from the reception. The room looked very old, smelly, disgusting bathroom and furniture was creaky. I came back to the reception and decided to cancel my visit and move to a different hotel. At this point I was assigned a modern room in a different wing of the Hotel. This room although better than the previous one but was a lot smaller, there was hardly any room to after we had a small cot for our baby put in this room.
For the breakfast in the morning we had to queue for 15-20 minutes and most of the breakfast items were of poor quality. Sausages were burnt, toasted bread was cold, baked beans were tasteless and overall the breakfast experience was terrible.
Restaurant had no choice except Carvery meal as my Wife is a Vegetarian, we had to go out for our meals.
I didn't use the pool because I was told I had to pay £16 (for 4 of us) extra to use it, so judging from our experience so far we avoided.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sachin S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Polish first
coventry uk
Reviewed 9 April 2012

stayed there for one night for a wedding and found it was fine.good price for double room with breakfast cant comment on the restaurants but the food at the wedding was very good,the bar was good plenty of staff and good prices for a hotel.the room was fine maybe a little tired but everything worked if your the sort of person that isn,t to worried that the tv has only 5 channels and the paint work maybe a bit chipped they the royal court is fine, if you want five star at budget prices then you should try elsewhere or spend a bit more on your choice of hotels.would i stay there again ? yes it is a nice place set in nice grounds, used for large weddings , confrences and coach parties on holiday tours so perhaps a romantic weekend away may not work here .finally i have read other reviews that berate the staff ,i found them all very polite and helpfull they have a hard job and have a lot of patience having to deal with nit picking guests

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I hate to give such a negative review but this Hotel really does not have anything going for it. The room was really grubby, Brown stains around the rim of the toilet, under the taps filthy, grime around the base of bath and toilet. The carpet was stained and piles of dust at the edges. The furniture has lost its varnish it was so old. The bed was as hard as nails. But all of this was not as bad as the noise when water in another room was used. It sounded as if an aeroplane was about to land. My husband sleeps soundly but even he woke up wondering what was going on. I should add we were staying in a superior room !!!!!!! But even this is not as bad as the food. I just do not know where to start, we turned up for dinner, all prepaid and told there would not be a table for half an hour and to go and have a drink in the bar. Horrible surroundings, with dirty uncleared tables, dirty carpet, wall paper hanging off the ceiling and over priced drinks. Hardly any staff to serve and those they did have were run ragged. We were then called across the room "table ready darling" by some over familiar teenager. Meal was a carvery so I thought it should be ok as you can choose what to put on your plate. We had the choice of Turkey, which was quite nice, the stuffing was nearly white there was so much bread crumbs, The carrots were sliced so thin and had been there ages they had curled up and gone brown. The cauliflower was runny and grey, The mash was reconstituted something, the croquettes dry and hard. I had some swede and turkey! For dessert there was the choice of Gateaux as I dont like cream there was nothing I could have and I did politely ask. The poor waitress again run off her feet was quite embarrassed as she could see i had not had a proper meal. Breakfast was just as bad with really poor quality food. Even in a budget hotel accommodation should be clean and user friendly. This Hotel need either closing or money spent on it to bring it to a minimum standard. On Check out the staff clearly new better than to ask if everything was ok. They knew and now so do you so just go else where, why spoil a trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in the SUPERIOR rooms -disaster
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Denise S
oxford
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We arrived 24thMarch for 1 night stay. It was going to be a special treat for my daughter and grandson who were really looking forward to staying in a nice hotel. What a mistake!! There was a 400 party wedding going on - no problem. I understand there was a conference and two coach loads of people. Staff coped well under the circumstances. Hotel horribly noisy, nowhere to sit quietly or entertain a 10 year. The best part was the pool,which was the quietest place to go. The night was awful with banging doors, noisy plumbing, you could here everything from the next bedroom, when they went to the bathroom, made love, etc.etc. When I complained next day the manager was extremely pleasant and understanding.We definitely couldn't recommend this hotel, unless the rooms are upgraded, and you checked if it was likely to be busy

Room Tip: Stay in the old part of the hotel, the walls are paper thin in the modern part, we could hear the pe...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ABSOxford
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed here for a three night break on my own. I booked through late rooms and was really impressed by the style of the hotel.

When i first got there i was the only one at the reception desk, my booking through the site had not come through even though i was staying for three days. Several people came after me and all got served before me. I sat in the bar area for 35 mins before being allocated a room.

My first room was located in the old building above the kitchens with a radiator that you could not switch off and a window that just let smell of food into your room. It was also noisy due to the extractor fan.

This matter was resolved very quickly and i was given room 102 still in the old building. The room was very outdated and the furniture old but this was inkeeping with the style of the building which we were in. I really loved it, the tv and lack of wifi in rooms was however disappointing.

I used the spa facilities everyday and must say staff were very welcoming and helpful and it was a real pleasure. The relaxing atmosphere it created was brilliant. i loved the fact that in the changing rooms they had mini bottles of shampoo and lotions to use to save bringing your own.

I thought the food was ok presentation coudl have been improved and a bit more of a healthier selection for breakfast would have been nice. The price for meals was exceptionally reasonable for what you had.

The hotel is run down a little in areas and does need some modernisation but i would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: if you want the old feel of the hotel you need to stay in the tudor building side. But becareful as...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank nicola b
Leyburn, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed here 14th March 2012, it was awful, long delays at check in, tiny (suposedly superior) poorly furnished bedroom, and very poor service. I wrote a full report to the general manager, Heather Thomas who did reply, but spelt my name wrongly!
I rest my case.

Mike Rogers

Room Tip: Don't stay in the old part of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike R
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed here overnight in March 2012 after a business meetin g. Staff on reception were pleseant and check in was good. The room I had was so very old fashioned, in desperate need of a make over. Bed very unconfortable.
The bathroom was horrible! Didn't seem clean but hard to tell as the suite was chocolate brown. Sure this was out of date in the 70's. The taps on the bath were missing, couldn't use the bath as there was just metal spouts I would have required a spanner to turn them. My bedroom door did not lock, as to move rooms but told no room available. I splept with a chair against my door and one eye open.
Went to restaurant for dinner, there were 6 of us. We ordered and waited 1 hour 40 mins for it to arrive!! When it arrived it was stone cold, it must have been sitting for ages without anyone brining it out. The waitress said it was her 1st day and she was not enjoying her job, amazing customer service! We asked if we could eat off of the cavery as none of us could eat our meal. The cavery was nice and it was hot!
Didn't do breakfst as the trama of the night before was enough. This hotel caters to the elderly coach party, lots of pensioners wandering around waiting for the bingo to start.,
I have travelled and stayed in countless hotels, this is the 1st time I have ever left a negative comment. I am not being overly fussy, it really was that bad. Our company has taken this hotel off of their list that they will book other colleagues into as I would not stay there if you paid me.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business