“Great central place for visiting the Cotswolds”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 31 May 2013

First of all I have to agree that this hotel does need some TLC but the rooms are clean, tidy and quite roomy. The rooms have tea making facilities and TV's and room 134 had bath and shower and lots of hot water. The bathrooms are very thrown together BUT lots of room and clean towels every day.
We were part of a coach pary on an all inclusive package and found the service to fast and efficient in the bars and dining rooms. The Reception does seem to be a bit under staffed but it was a Bank Holiday and the hotel was very busy with coach parties and a large re-union party. The food was fine, typical buffet service for both breakfast and evening meal, the breakfast being very good, everything serve yourself including tea and coffee.
Service was good and staff great and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We booked late as we had managed to get last minute tickets to the Ricoh Arena. When I first checked, the room was £65, but by the time we had our plans sorted it had gone up to £105. At that price, the hotel was disappointing.

First the good.

Reception were perfectly friendly, there's plenty of parking, our room (a standard twin) was HUGE with a double and two single beds, there was a kettle in the room and the shower was excellent. This wasn't a work trip, so didn't even look for wifi, but there was good Vodafone 3G. Breakfast was apparently good - sadly I had a 5 am taxi pickup so didn't get to try it.

A taxi to the Ricoh was £6 each way, and Central Taxis appear to have a deal with the hotel and were prompt and friendly both ways.

But.

The room decor was pretty tired, not problematically so, but not appropriate for a room costing more than £100. The lock on the door was sufficiently worn that someone had to let my gf back into the room after breakfast.

In summary, if you can get it cheap then go for it, but it's not worth what we paid.

2  Thank LichfieldGordon
caz665, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

I thank you for placing your comments on trip advisor we appreciate all feed back as it helps us move the hotel forward and we hope when you next stay with us, it will give us the chance to show you how fast we are moving forward.
Thank-you

Reviewed 27 May 2013

There was nobody on reception when we arrived so we went for a drive and came back an hour later ! room was OK , dated but clean ,we kept ringing the restaurant to book a table as the receptionist recommended but there was no answer every time , the carvery was not too good , we stood in the doorway waiting to be seated for about 10 minutes , standing next to a phone that kept ringing ! staff kept walking passed so we just sat down ! The carvery choice was Beef or beef and there was only 2 vegetable choices they were runner beans or red cabbage with raisons in ( very odd ) no peas or carrots ! the beef was like shoe leather and as we left the restaurant we saw most people had not eaten it ! Some guy came out of an office a couple of times to tell the staff that the phone was ringing but didn't seem to be able to answer it himself ! I think the rest off the staff were doing as well as they could but i dont think there was enough of them ! Breakfast was better ! The fire alarm also went off twice in the night ! We've been to quite a few Britannia hotels and this one lets them down !

Room Tip: try another hotel !

Hi
Thank - you for taking the time to place your comments on trip advisor, we appreciate that your evening dining experience was not good and i have taken this up with the new Head Chef who is very keen to insure all the guests that eat his food are pleased with the meals. Reception is a very busy place and they are often called away to assist a guest, we always aim to have cover on reception at all times. We hope that in the near future you will come back and stay with us again our aim is always to do better.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

After reading some of the reports ,I was pleasantly surprised ,the location is great , and the grounds are probably the hotels best attribute .there where a number of coach parties staying at the hotel this added to the ambience as it would have been very quiet without them.The rate I got on booking .com was excellent so was the breakfast ,and you helped yourself to as much as you wanted .the hotel is a little tired and needs decoration in parts, but it did not spoil my stay.my bedroom was quite large and the bed was extremely comfortable the jacuzzi bath was a blast from the past.I did not use the health facilities so I cannot comment on them.the staff at the hotel are very polite and helpful,I would certainly use this hotel again if I got a great low rate

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked the hotel for one night on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal BEFORE reading Trip Advisor. Should have read reviews first. I have to say reception staff on arrival were lovely, room was clean although hotel does need some refurbishing in places. The main problem with this hotel is unhappy staff due to the pressure on them. We spent the afternoon in the garden due to the gorgeous weather along with probably 60 other people. Only ONE person working the bar though so you can imagine she was pretty miserable! Evening meal was OK although again lack of staff and disorganised. Would have been nice to see the staff smile a little but again I can't blame them for not. Breakfast was good apart from our table which had a mind of its own and span around and wobbled hence the tea stains on the tablecloth. Smoke alarms going off at 11.20 were a bit of a shock and especially as there seemed no reason and then our neighbours coming back at 2 am as if it was the middle of the afternoon didn't help but thankfully we can laugh about things so didn't spoil our weekend. As a cheap deal it was OK but you would be pretty disappointed if you paid more.

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip advisor, We have a refurbishment plan in place and have completed 80 bedrooms and almost all of our function rooms. We aim to offer everyone that stays with us a good experience and the staff realise that the importance of that depends largely on them.
We look forward to a further visit from you in the near future

Reviewed 26 May 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I love the Royal Court Hotel :) It is clean, friendly, warm and very attractive. I didn't realise it was so posh (I booked it online) and when I turned up, I was nervous because I was wearing jeans and a band t-shirt. However, the staff were friendly and helpful and treated me really good. My room was large and clean, with a cosy bed and nice bathroom. There is a baby grand piano in the Java Lounge and guests are allowed to play it :) The gardens are beautiful and the restaurant is very good, with delicious food. It is self service, so you can have as much or as little as you want. There are continental breakfasts and English breakfasts. There is plenty of parking and as the hotel is a little way out of the city centre, it is quiet and peaceful at night. A great hotel that I will use again when I return to Coventry :)