“Bargain Dinner Bed and Breakfast £45!!!!”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
London, United Kingdom
“Bargain Dinner Bed and Breakfast £45!!!!”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I am surprised there have been so many bad reviews for this restaurant as we did not encounter any negatives on our stay. Granted this is not a luxury hotel but we booked it very last minute as we were going to watch Bruce Springsteen at the Ricoh Arena. It was clean the food was good and the staff were nothing but polite and helpful. The Hotel is a £8.50 taxi fare away and the roads were not congested although we went early to arrive for the doors opening.

Our total cost for our stay was £45 which included £10 towards your dinner each and a free bottle of wine to share!! I had a nice steak and chips with a side salad from the bar menu £11.50 and the kind waitress brought us both a piece of blackforest gateux from the carvery for free.

We had a bottle of wine at the other lounge bar later and the staff kept the bar open late for some late arriving guests. The following day we sat outside in the grounds which are surrounded by mature trees and enjoyed a paninni and some rare sunshine!

We upgraded our room for £10 and another £10 for a late checkout.

It was a pleasant clean basic room with freeview TV and a Jacuzzi bath and decent shower. The only complaint not enough towels but they were happy to bring more.

All in all there was nothing to complain about dont expect luxury but I would take this hotel over any travel lodge or premiere in or any other 3 star hotel.
What a bargain!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Platinum-Paradise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Ten older ladies from our exercise class went via Newmarket tours for five days beginning the 17th June 2013. Having read several 'non-g00d' reviews I was hoping it would be better than previously stated. However it was really good. We have four single and three double rooms to accommodate us and they were all of the same very high standard - including all having new bathrooms with whirpool baths and super showers and fresh, white linen on comfortable beds. I know this because we all inspected the seven rooms - most of which were on the ground floor approached by well decorated areas and newish carpets. Breakfast at pristine tables, in a lovely room overlooking the gardens, was help yourself with lots of different juices and cereals, toast and you could ask for porridge. There were lots of hot choices all well cooked and well presented. There really should have been a space separating the cooked food from the cereals but only because it was awkward to decide who was queueing where! The evening meals were carvery style with 3 great choices and lots of wellcooked vegetables. You could help yourself to soup with fresh crusty bread and lots of butter and the salad bar had lots of fresh ingredients including patte The sweets positioned adjacent to the carvery, were somewhat disappointing as they were always the 'gateau-type' although there were ample jugs of fresh cream. Not to be outdone one of my friends took a dish filled it with the apple sauce destined for the pork dinner and covered it with cream as her dessert. We actually once caught sight of a cheese cake but never managed to taste it.

We had to help ourselves to tea/coffee from insulated jugs during breakfast and after dinner.

It was lovely weather and we were able to sit out in the very pleasant gardens complete with fish ponds and wooden tables.
The hotel is situated three miles from Coventry. Apparently there is a bus stop fairly close.
There was no evening entertainment although I thought I heard someone mention bingo on the first evening.
The staff were first class and it only took a few minutes for 40 of us to be given our room keys from reception on arrival.
I would recommend this hotel although there were two incidents of 'just' money being stolen from two rooms inspite of there being the guests' electronic gadjets there. . The hotel 'blurb' says they have three safes so I would recommend that any money or valuables are stored there.
I have really written 'how it was'and I can honestly say our party of ten were not disappionted either. .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Coventry
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I didn't actually stay at the Royal Court Hotel because despite booking and paying for my room 6 months ago in January I was told by easytobook.com a week before my stay that the hotel had not accepted my booking. When I did manage to get through to the number I was given (no mean feat, it took me days!) no explanation was given and it proved to be very difficult to explain to the call centre person in anther country what the problem was. they told me that it was difficult to find me a replacement booking becaue everywhere was busy! Well no s**t sherlock, Bruce springsteen was intown which is why i booked the room so far in advance! I won't be using esaytobook.com agin that's for sure.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travellers are raving about these Coventry hotels

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I went with my school for a trip on the first day we were there we had someone go into our rooms and stole money 7 people got there money stolen and a phone there was over £400 stolen. They came into my room and stole my friends money so they went into my bag and case to friend money. Later that night i had a panic attack bevause i thought it was going to happen again we all got moved rooms. The worst thing is it all happend to girls none of the boys got money stolen only girls. So never go there

Room Tip: Just dont go there
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Danielle E
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

i cannot believe that there is not one comment on this site re; the fiasco that was thurs 20th all the people & ther were hundred of them wethat had booked into this hotel But were told on arrival at 2.00 booking in time!! that the hotel was full which was interesting as we were told we couldnt book in before 2.00. every one that had been booked into this hotel & there were hundreds was sent off to their sister hotel "Covenry hill hotel, if you are thinking of booking this DONT!!were were miles From the concert venue with one shuttle bus that couldnt possibly cater for the number of people & didnt opperate a return service finished at 10! taxis could not be got for love nor money some people never made the concert as ther was no way of getting ther & no possible parking spaces & the hotel was FILTHY. it was too late for any one to do anthing about it ,the whole experiance spoilt SPOILT SPOILT but Bruce was amazing. my advice is think long & hard before you book anything with this hotel chain we had travelled fo over 5hrs to be greeted with this everyone was in the sameboat & the feeling was it was a vast CON not one person was advised about the booking

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank carol s
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed in this hotel on the 20th June 2013 along with more than half the hotel, who were also going to the Bruce Springstein concert at The Ricoh Stadium.

I was going to Royal Ascot over the weekend and had my betting money (£700) with me but didn't think it was wise to take it to a football ground, and run the risk of having my pocket picked so I left it in a bag in my hotel room.

The following morning I went to put the money back into my wallet only to find that it had gone. It had gone sometime betweem 6pm on 20th and 7am on 21st June. I spoke to reception who worryingly seemed well versed in how to deal with my complaint. I rang the Police who issued a crime number and then told me off the record that I should complain strongly as this is a regular occurance at this hotel. The receptionist told me a duty manager from the hotel would contact me later in the day to update me on what was happening and gave me the General Managers business card. The call never came.

At 10am I called the hotel manager on the mobile number listed on her card. She was on a day off. I told her of my experience and the theft of my property, and my concerns that it was a regular event in her hotel, she said 'It's not regular, it has only been happening this week and that she had undercover Police officers working in there to try and catch the thief'. She too promised that the Duty Manger would call me back. Once again the call never came.

By 4.30pm I was sick of waiting for the Duty Manager to call, so I rang the hotel only to be told that the Duty Manager was making wedding speeches!. I left my number for him/her to call me back. The call never came.

I then rang Britannia Hotels head office to speak to a director. They had all gone home.

I spoke to a lady in customer services, who to her credit was the only member of Britannias staff who actually showed any empathy towards me and my experience with her employer. She assured me the joint Managing Director would call me on Monday. I don't expect she will call.

The General Manager left me a voicemail message on Saturday telling me how they were now upgrading their security arrangements for the whole hotel. Horse,door and bolted!

I feel as though I was used as bait to catch a thief, also I don't know at what point they actually entered my room I may well have been asleep in the same room when the theft happened. I'm big and ugly enough to look after myself but what would have happened if they had entered the room of a single female?

I am aware that Britannia say words to the effect of 'all valuable are left in your room at your own risk', having briefly spoken to my solictor I now believe they actually have a whole lot more responsibility for my safety than they are currently admitting.

If anyone, either a fellow victim or god forbid a member of staff from Britannia wishes to discuss matters further, please feel free to call me 07976 900639

Room Tip: Plain and simple, just go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple