“Pleasantly Surprised!”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Driffield, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I approached this 3 night stay with a certain amount of trepidation,reading various reviews and having a disastrous previous stay at a Hotel used by the same company.
However I was pleasantly surprised as have just returned after an enjoyable stay at this Hotel.
I do agree that it needs a "Facelift" but this is just cosmetic as the Hotel had a charm of it,s own especially the very grand entrance and check in which I found to be trouble free. Our room was spacious,clean and a nice frontal view,bedding and towels were very clean.
The grounds around the Hotel were lovely although I may add that an efficient gardener is badly needed to deal with the badly neglected borders etc which could be stunning if dealt with?
We both enjoyed the food,from the good choice at breakfast,to adequate choice at dinner,all served hot in a pleasant dining room.
All the staff were attentive,helpful,hard working as it was very busy with several weddings over the weekend.
We both agreed that if in the area again we would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor ,to the left of the hotel,easy access to the lift as my Mother is i...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank christine l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Just back from a 5 day coach tour based at this hotel. Having read various trip reports, I was a bit apprehensive. Fortunately this proved to be unfounded. That said, this hotel urgently needs a facelift - badly worn carpets, torn wall coverings, badly chipped paintwork, overgrown gardens. There is tremendous potential to be achieved for minimal cost. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was reasonable, both in choice and quality. Breakfast was buffet style and generally good. Dinner was also buffet style and again had reasonable choice. Could have been warmer. The rooms are fine - clean and fresh.

One major point - the Gents toilets adjacent to reception and lounge/main restaurant area were absolutely filthy and in need of a deep, deep clean, the floor in particular was badly stained. I did complain.

Would I stay here again - not unless my comments are noted and actioned

Hugh T

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

When I booked the hotel - I was dubious because I looked at the ratings and what people had said but the majority of people were miffed off because of the Bruce Springsteen scenario - where an admin error must have occurred and the hotel was overbooked.

I went yesterday and it was beautiful. The grounds are stunning and as we had scorching weather of 26-30 degrees C, I decided to have a picnic. There's a few ponds and a white concrete gazebo thing and a bar that's just inside. There's benches outside where people would enjoy the sunshine whilst drinking and eating (I'll come back to that later). There was a wedding going on at the time and everything looked really pretty.

We were situated in the manor section (there's the new section and the manor section) - which overlooked onto the grounds. We had a decent sized window that could open all the way, en suite bathroom - with shower/bath, a closet with ironing board, extra towels and pillows, an old TV, Tea and Coffee with a kettle. The bathroom has 3 little bottles of lotions in there - shampoo, shower gel and moisturizer as well as a bar of soap. It was homely and I felt like I was staying more at a rich family members house than a hotel - especially with the allowance of dogs. People brought dogs and you would often see them rolling around on the grass.

I booked some treatments at Spindle Health Spa - which I do recommend. The prices are decent enough and the staff are really nice. They do shellac nails for £15, I was given a slush puppy as a drink (I'm a child at heart) while getting it done. I also had my eyebrows waxed (£3.50!) and a massage (£17). I really recommend it. I bought my boyfriend a special for men (£50) as a gift and he got a facial, manicure and a massage and he loved it. There is also an indoor pool which I didn't get to try out but people were swimming in it and looking like they were having fun. The opening times were roughly 9 till 6 and it cost £4 to get in.

We didn't upgrade our room to have dinner (£9.50 each was a bit steep after all the spa treatments and we were still quite full from the picnic) but we ordered food from the bar. The prices are great and the portion size is perfect. Me and my boyfriend shared a plate of nachos with cheese and salsa which came to just under £5 but it did the trick as well as tasting nice. Burger meals are roughly £5.50 and J2Os are £2.20 with fruit juices coming to £1.75 so it was reasonable.

We had a peaceful nights sleep. The bed was comfortable.

Breakfast was amazing for the price we paid (we paid £39.99 for double room on a Saturday + Breakfast). It was a buffet Full English breakfast complete with bacon, sausages, eggs, tomatoes, beans, deep-fried toast, black puddings, etc as well as an assortment of juices from Grapefruit to apple. There was also an assortment of cereals - including Coco Pops and porridge. The restaurant were we ate had a nice atmosphere.

As I mentioned earlier, there was a wedding going on and I managed to peep into a few rooms where the ceremonies and such were held as well as the reception. The guests looked like they had a lot of fun - the reception rooms were massive and was nicely decorated. The kids loved running round in the garden and there's also a garden gazebo thing outside where I think ceremonies are held on nice days. So it seems like a nice place to have a wedding too!

So in order to combat a few negative points:
-Yes, some of the wallpaper does seem a bit scuffed in the manor BUT that is to be expected because people are pulling luggage around. Some of the carpets are a bit marked but nothing bad.
-I didn't spy any dog hair but as a hotel that allows dogs - that's the cost of it.
-They do only leave one towel on the rack in the bathroom however, if you look around the room, you might find extras. We found an extra towel in the closet.

However
-The bar does get busy and sometimes I get the feeling that they can be a bit understaffed - I had to wait for ages to get served whenever I wanted a drink.

Room Tip: The manor side is prettier and if you ask - you may get a room facing the grounds.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sophia P
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed for one night at the Royal Court. It has most of its mid week clientele from coach parties. the effect is that meal times are closely regulated for them. I was expecting that this would give a problem, but it didn't plenty of tables for non-tour residents. Rooms are fine, lifts seem reliable enough. Grounds are lovely and a good reason to stay in this reasonably priced hotel.

Highlight for me was the quality, cheerfulness and professionalism of the staff, really unexpected. Respectful, helpful service - a real willingness to take the time to chat. Went from front desk, restaurant and bar. This is not the Hilton, but a cut above the pack, especially for the quality of the staff.

Room Tip: Loads of ground floor room and they have 2 fully disabled rooms. Most of the hotel on one level. V...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul Q
swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Ive seen alot of people complaining that they have been outbooked to the coventry hill hotel on the 20th. I was one of the people that were outbooked and although we arrived only to be told we where outbooked the gent at reception was great and explained that it was down to expedia to contact us because contact information was not passed on but people in front of us still insisted on complaining to the young man at the desk. if anything i will be booking direct with the hotel next time round to make sure they can contact me before hand.

Room Tip: any room on the from 148-174 are good
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
mansfield
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Booked here months ago for proximity to Ricoh arena to see Bruce Springsteen . After looking at a lot of reviews on here , we were so pleased to have taken no notice of them . From check in to check out everything was alright . Staff pleasent, room good ,bar service good and an enjoyable breakfast. Taxis to and from Ricoh efficient and cheap. Thanks Baz n Carol

• Stayed June 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

If you thinking of booking this hotel for an event at the Ricoh think carefully.

Booked, and paid for, this hotel 6 months in advance only to find on arrival and after waiting for 30 minutes to check in that the hotel had been massively overbooked due to a "System Error" and we would had been allocated a room in the Coventry Hill hotel which is significantly further away. We were told by that the taxis from the new hotel to the Ricoh would be complimentary. As we were in town to see a show we had no choice but to accept the new arrangements. When we got to the second hotel, which had all the charm of a cold war prison camp, we were told that they knew nothing about complimentary taxis and would have to pay for it ourselves.

Was this hotel deliberately overbooked and the overflow shunted to a sister hotel knowing that a big event was on customers would have no choice than to accept it ?

All in all a dreadful experience with Britannia hotels who I will do my very best to not stay with again.

Room Tip: Look in a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple