“good food hotel needs a upgrade”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
“good food hotel needs a upgrade”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

this hotel has gone downhill since we stayed last year the one good point on our stay was the food which was good the rest of the hotel needs upgrading and cleaning much better workmen where repairing some lights on our first day and the mess was still there when we left end of the next day we had a upgrade to better room with spa bath when we went to use it there was no plug rang reception and was told should have checked the bathroom when we arrived as the place where they keep plugs is closed in the end it took us 3 phone calls and the next day to get a plug the staff are not very helpful .
we booked a table for our meal for 8 o clock when we went down to eat we was told we had to wait while the coach party had finished which was 30 minutes later it was the same for breakfast its one place I shall never return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Polish first
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

6 of us decided a last minute break to Coventry. None of had been to Coventry before, but would definitely recommend this Hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, they were very pleasant indeed. We ate in the Hotel on the first night which was very enjoyable and had breakfast on both mornings. All the food was lovely and fresh and the whole experience of the Hotel was first class.

Room Tip: When we arrived to check in we did ask if there was any free upgrades available and we did get two o...
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I had been reading the reviews and was expecting the worse!
But hotel wise, surprised!!!
Other then a few details, faded carpets etc! It was nice!
Cheap and cheerful!
Food was very nice!
Pool great!
But unfortunately, like on previous reviews, some of our party was robbed!!!
Which is truly horrid and rid their break! :(
Such a shame! :(
We went on a national holidays trip to Cambridge!
And have to say our bus drive Lee was AMAZING!!!!!!!! :)

Room Tip: Apparently lee said 106 is haunted!!lol
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Coventry hotels

Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I approached this 3 night stay with a certain amount of trepidation,reading various reviews and having a disastrous previous stay at a Hotel used by the same company.
However I was pleasantly surprised as have just returned after an enjoyable stay at this Hotel.
I do agree that it needs a "Facelift" but this is just cosmetic as the Hotel had a charm of it,s own especially the very grand entrance and check in which I found to be trouble free. Our room was spacious,clean and a nice frontal view,bedding and towels were very clean.
The grounds around the Hotel were lovely although I may add that an efficient gardener is badly needed to deal with the badly neglected borders etc which could be stunning if dealt with?
We both enjoyed the food,from the good choice at breakfast,to adequate choice at dinner,all served hot in a pleasant dining room.
All the staff were attentive,helpful,hard working as it was very busy with several weddings over the weekend.
We both agreed that if in the area again we would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor ,to the left of the hotel,easy access to the lift as my Mother is i...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank christine l
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Just back from a 5 day coach tour based at this hotel. Having read various trip reports, I was a bit apprehensive. Fortunately this proved to be unfounded. That said, this hotel urgently needs a facelift - badly worn carpets, torn wall coverings, badly chipped paintwork, overgrown gardens. There is tremendous potential to be achieved for minimal cost. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food was reasonable, both in choice and quality. Breakfast was buffet style and generally good. Dinner was also buffet style and again had reasonable choice. Could have been warmer. The rooms are fine - clean and fresh.

One major point - the Gents toilets adjacent to reception and lounge/main restaurant area were absolutely filthy and in need of a deep, deep clean, the floor in particular was badly stained. I did complain.

Would I stay here again - not unless my comments are noted and actioned

Hugh T

Coventry, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

When I booked the hotel - I was dubious because I looked at the ratings and what people had said but the majority of people were miffed off because of the Bruce Springsteen scenario - where an admin error must have occurred and the hotel was overbooked.

I went yesterday and it was beautiful. The grounds are stunning and as we had scorching weather of 26-30 degrees C, I decided to have a picnic. There's a few ponds and a white concrete gazebo thing and a bar that's just inside. There's benches outside where people would enjoy the sunshine whilst drinking and eating (I'll come back to that later). There was a wedding going on at the time and everything looked really pretty.

We were situated in the manor section (there's the new section and the manor section) - which overlooked onto the grounds. We had a decent sized window that could open all the way, en suite bathroom - with shower/bath, a closet with ironing board, extra towels and pillows, an old TV, Tea and Coffee with a kettle. The bathroom has 3 little bottles of lotions in there - shampoo, shower gel and moisturizer as well as a bar of soap. It was homely and I felt like I was staying more at a rich family members house than a hotel - especially with the allowance of dogs. People brought dogs and you would often see them rolling around on the grass.

I booked some treatments at Spindle Health Spa - which I do recommend. The prices are decent enough and the staff are really nice. They do shellac nails for £15, I was given a slush puppy as a drink (I'm a child at heart) while getting it done. I also had my eyebrows waxed (£3.50!) and a massage (£17). I really recommend it. I bought my boyfriend a special for men (£50) as a gift and he got a facial, manicure and a massage and he loved it. There is also an indoor pool which I didn't get to try out but people were swimming in it and looking like they were having fun. The opening times were roughly 9 till 6 and it cost £4 to get in.

We didn't upgrade our room to have dinner (£9.50 each was a bit steep after all the spa treatments and we were still quite full from the picnic) but we ordered food from the bar. The prices are great and the portion size is perfect. Me and my boyfriend shared a plate of nachos with cheese and salsa which came to just under £5 but it did the trick as well as tasting nice. Burger meals are roughly £5.50 and J2Os are £2.20 with fruit juices coming to £1.75 so it was reasonable.

We had a peaceful nights sleep. The bed was comfortable.

Breakfast was amazing for the price we paid (we paid £39.99 for double room on a Saturday + Breakfast). It was a buffet Full English breakfast complete with bacon, sausages, eggs, tomatoes, beans, deep-fried toast, black puddings, etc as well as an assortment of juices from Grapefruit to apple. There was also an assortment of cereals - including Coco Pops and porridge. The restaurant were we ate had a nice atmosphere.

As I mentioned earlier, there was a wedding going on and I managed to peep into a few rooms where the ceremonies and such were held as well as the reception. The guests looked like they had a lot of fun - the reception rooms were massive and was nicely decorated. The kids loved running round in the garden and there's also a garden gazebo thing outside where I think ceremonies are held on nice days. So it seems like a nice place to have a wedding too!

So in order to combat a few negative points:
-Yes, some of the wallpaper does seem a bit scuffed in the manor BUT that is to be expected because people are pulling luggage around. Some of the carpets are a bit marked but nothing bad.
-I didn't spy any dog hair but as a hotel that allows dogs - that's the cost of it.
-They do only leave one towel on the rack in the bathroom however, if you look around the room, you might find extras. We found an extra towel in the closet.

However
-The bar does get busy and sometimes I get the feeling that they can be a bit understaffed - I had to wait for ages to get served whenever I wanted a drink.

Room Tip: The manor side is prettier and if you ask - you may get a room facing the grounds.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sophia P
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed for one night at the Royal Court. It has most of its mid week clientele from coach parties. the effect is that meal times are closely regulated for them. I was expecting that this would give a problem, but it didn't plenty of tables for non-tour residents. Rooms are fine, lifts seem reliable enough. Grounds are lovely and a good reason to stay in this reasonably priced hotel.

Highlight for me was the quality, cheerfulness and professionalism of the staff, really unexpected. Respectful, helpful service - a real willingness to take the time to chat. Went from front desk, restaurant and bar. This is not the Hilton, but a cut above the pack, especially for the quality of the staff.

Room Tip: Loads of ground floor room and they have 2 fully disabled rooms. Most of the hotel on one level. V...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business