“You get what you pay for, and some”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Yes the rooms, and some communal areas need serious refurbishment, but too be honest, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. The staff are hit and miss in terms of service delivered, and the place has the feel of a ghost town.

However, the bedding was clean, the rooms warm, the pool facilities good, and the food provided both for evening meal and breakfast was more than acceptable. If you then add on that 3 adults and 3 children paid less than £30 per person per night, for dinner bed and breakfast, then you can hardly complain really.

We all found it a relaxing 24hours and to be honest despite its failings would return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JPC5
There are newer reviews for Royal Court Hotel - Coventry

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We attended here for my cousins wedding. We were worried with the reviews as we were travelling with two young children. We arrived very late on the Friday night due to traffic on the M6. We were checked in very efficiently, we just went to sleep as we had a big day the next day. However upon waking it was apparent that the room was really tired, there were stains on the wall the sockets and furniture were old and ripped, however the bedding and towels were very clean and crisp. The bathroom was lovely and clean. The hotel itself is lovely. The breakfast was just as it should be cereal, toast, cooked breakfast help yourself, perfect for us and very nice. The wedding itself was amazing the food was just splendid and the staff very very helpful. The following morning I went went to plug my hair dryer in the one socket (there is a dryer supplied but I always take my own). I turned it on and the sockets blew up I was drying my youngest hair it was a bit scary, I was therefore not able to dry hair or make a brew. This was reported to reception and we were immediately offered another room to make a cup of tea and dry our hair, as we were only checking out and going home we did not take them up on teh offer but it was nice of them to offer. I would definitely stay again for our family of 4 it was very very good value for money, just the rooms were very tired shame.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank clairegoodey
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We hired the conference room back in November. The room itself lacked any sunlight which is a shame but OK. The food was was nice buffet lunch but unfortunately we were not served with puddings when we had ordered and paid for them. I first reported this on the Monday after our visit on the Saturday and after numerous emails back and forward I am still waiting for a cheque to cover the cost of what we were overcharged. It is now 26th March. There has been a massive dragging of heals and unwillingness to pay up. Great place to book if everything goes well but if there is a problem it seems to take forever to get to a resolution. Very dissatisfied.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Lindsey P
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed at the Royal Court Hotel in march 2014.This was our 11th visit and again we had a
lovelly stay.
The rooms are very clean and the food was excellent.
All the staff are very helpful and friendly and we are looking forward to our next stay.

Well done to Caroline and her team

Steve and Pauline

Cardiff

Room Tip: Executive room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank munchkincardiff
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Read all the reviews, but the offer was to good to miss. The original building and the older parts inside are stunning. We arrived just after two and the young lady on the reception was both very helpful and efficient, the quickest we've ever been booked in. The room 358 was very good, plenty of room, bed maybe hard for some, spa bath in the bathroom, though the bath panel was cracked. The bedding was crisp and clean some of the cleanest we have ever had. The 3 course evening meal was a 3 choice starter, choice of three roasts and help yourself to a choice of boiled potatoes and 4 other veg, Yorkshire pudding. The veg were perfect not to soft not to hard. All finished off with a choice of deserts, the carrot cake in particular was excellent. The breakfast was good with a choice of 5 cereals, 2 fruits and 2 home made yoghurts, 2 choice of egg, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans and hash browns. The waiting staff for both meals were excellent.
The spa facilities were good and bad, they charged an extra £4 to use them. We didn't use the gym, but what available looked quite good and we use the gym daily back home. The changing rooms were awash with water in both male and female changing rooms. There were no lockers with keys as we were told there would be. The pool was excellent as was the sauna, steam room and jacuzi. There is a charge for an extra towel for the pool, take the room one and ask for another from housekeeping.
As for directions to the hotel criticized by a review. If you're coming from the A45 when you reach the "T" junction with the Tamworth Road there is a sign in front of you and 150 yards to your left as the sign says a huge hotel sign which you would have to be blind to miss. Good value for what I paid.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lincoln_PETE7904
Reviewed 20 March 2014

It is easy to sum up this hotel - it is stunningly beautiful from the outside and if you love Tudor history this is your place. The inside is very run down - wallpaper peeling, ripped chairs etc. I stayed for one night as I was attending a convention nearby. We were very disappointed that the bar closed so early. The staff were friendly throughout my stay especially this morning at breakfast. With a considerable amount of investment this could be a wonderful hotel. As a lover of Tudor history, this was a really good place to stay for me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Oldcatton
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed one night on a business trip, my colleague couldn't believe how amazing it looked when she arrived at the the place. I mentioned I'd seen some adverse reviews, but we were really happy with the place. It represented top value for money! I really don't know what others expect when they're not paying Ritz prices!
We loved the old-world grandeur especially in the dining room - and the pool, sauna etc was only £4 a session.
Scott on the desk was very helpful on arrival, our room was comfortable and the help-yourself breakfast was fine (bacon not too salty either!) Yes it will be better when the bathrooms get a refurb but hopefully that won't push the price up too much.
I would suggest to the hotel that they consider serving breakfast from 6.30 rather than 7, as other business people there other than ourselves, also wanted to get on the road early. I would imagine this would increase their bookings.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business