“Worst hotel.”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel.”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for weekend in october, bed was hard,tv didnt work, room was dirty, including the bed sheets and the food in the resturant was cold and of a poor quality. Reception were rude,unhelpful and seemed like they didnt give a monkeys over the various issues. Will never recomend this hotel to anyone

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jamie C
caz665, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Our gardens have now been sorted due to an improvement in the weather conditions as i am sure that no one mows lawns in terrential rain storms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I've used this hotel many times in the past and on arrival was sad to see its shabby look. The grass within the grounds was untreated and this once grand hotel was looking very tired and due a serious makeover!
Upon check in we were told we needed to make our mind up re breakfast so that they could no estimated numbers. The breakfast is "all you can eat" so we were taken back by this request.
The room was a last minute booking and at £30 we were very happy with the quality of the room. I'd probably stay again but would recommend Britannia hotels give this hotel a much needed make over!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank leeoliver
caz665, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to place your comments on Trip Advisor
We here are well aware that the hotel needs a makeover but until the owner makes that decision we will carry on doing the best we can with what we have
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just stayed 2 nights in the hotel because it was very handy. The whole place needs a make over. The driveway up to the hotel is dirty dark and needs to be tidied. The grounds need to be tended and if done properly would look stunning. The corridor and rooms need a make over as they are tired and need updating. The shower in my bathroom was uncontrollable,either cold or scalding.
The first night I stayed went to bar in main foyer and they had no ice or lemon and the bar tender gave the impression that he could not care. The only plus side in my two day stay was breakfast time the lady in charge of the buffet was very pleasant and attentive to her diners. The food was good and hot and plenty of it. I will not use this hotel again.

Room Tip: You would be better in a Travelodge
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Harry M
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, I am sorry to hear that you will not be staying with us again, i can assure you that the hotel is constantly up dating bedrooms and the gardens were not done due to weeks of very bad weather in Coventry , they have now been transformed.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights while away with work, and you do get what you pay for. It's cheap and needs updating massively. I stayed in the "new" part of the hotel and quite simply felt like I was staying in a Elderly Care Home.
When I arrived at 4pm I went up to my room and all along the corridor there was dirty linen on the floor.
My room was a decent size, but I could not plug anything in next to the bed as the sockets where too far away and the sockets that was next to my bed was so old they didn't comply with new plugs.
Food was nice once I managed to get the attention of the bar staff as they was so deep in conversation as to what they had been up to the night before.
I would have gone swimming but being charged £4.00 for this I thought was steep to say I was a guest there.
I will not be staying here again.

5 Thank Lauren262013
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, I am sorry you have decided not to stay with us again. We are a 3 star hotel offering very affordable prices and an excellent service from the staff
Newcastle
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Where to start ?

I have worked all over the country for the past 10 years and stay in hotels most weeks. The service in this hotel is the worst I have witnessed. I tried to have an evening meal had no cash but as its 2014 I thought this would not be an issue. I was told I had to pay for my meal before I received it, I also had to pay for my drinks at a different part of the hotel. The bar had a £5 min spend, I asked if I could open a tab and pay for my meal and drink separate. I was told no, I explained I had no cash at that point I was just stared at. Not what I wanted after a 10 hour work day. The next day I went down for breakfast to be told I had not booked for breakfast. Most hotels would let you get something to eat then sort the issue out after. This was not the case, I was told to go to reception, his advice was to speak to expedia. No matter how many times I told him that I did not book via expedia he just replied “nothing I can do”. At that point I cancelled my second, again I explained that for the sake of a cup of coffee and a slice of toast he had just lost a nights booking, again he replied there is nothing I can do.

The rooms are very basic and look like they needed a makeover 15 years ago. The bathroom door was rotting, mould and water marks on ceiling. Also the TV was for the 1990’s, not the end of the world but if you have been working all day and you only entertainment is the TV it’s not great. The room was also red hot (not the hotels fault) but they had no way of cooling it.

The gym is disgusting and needs a deep clean, I walked back to room in my wet swim shorts rather than get changed in the changing room. Also the lockers do have locks on and the gym reception do not have any spare padlocks. They also wanted to charge me a £1 for a towel.

In short do not stay here, I opted to for a four hour drive home after a full day at work rather than stay here for another night.

Room Tip: Try a premier Inn
7 Thank BigGrovesy
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to post your very lengthy complaint on Trip Advisor. We are a 3 star hotel offering very affordable rates and we endeavour to give our guests the best service possible, I am sorry that your were so dissapointed with your stay and that you will obviously not be using us again in the future.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Was going to put a long rant on here about the appalling standards at this prison establishment, however Richard C. appears to have summed out my sentiments concisely. The only additional points I would make were around the three pin ROUND pin plug sockets, locked windows not allowing us to escape and bed that was like a plank of 4x2!

Struggle to comprehend how this has received any positive ratings whatsoever!

Staff's lack of customer helpfulness gave credence to the term 'Sent to Coventry'!

AVOID the Royal Court Hotel like the plague.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kevin K
caz665, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Your very rude and childish comments do not warrant a decent reply
Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Service is poor, hotel is grubby and unkempt, staff seemed under-trained and have little idea of the concept of customer service. I had to go to a business conference held here but if staying for any other reason would have checked out much earlier. Would never contemplate going back again. Staggering that these places still exist in this age of service sector dominance of the UK economy.

3 Thank 396Andrew