“Very Good Value.”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Wimborne, United Kingdom
“Very Good Value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Recently stayed as part of a Newmarket Coach Tour of the Cotswolds. Yes some parts were in need of update such as our bathroom with a bit of mould around the bath edge and a bit of grouting needed around the washbasin otherwise it was in very good condition. The shower was very good, a bit like standing under a waterfall. Our check in was very quick as two coaches arrived at the same time. We were classed as Tour Rate for our buffet meals which was a very good selection both dinner and breakfast. The only thing missing for breakfast was porridge and honey, however I did ask the waiter who went away and got some on two days that it was available. I would have thought that porridge would have been amongst the other cereals on offer daily without having to request it.
The general reception and corridors to all the rooms were very clean as were the toilets in the bar areas. The Hotel is the largest in the Coventry area so is in great demand for many large events that are staged there.
So all in all it was very good value and would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in the 400's, the room was large with dark older type furniture which was comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rodney J
caz665, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to put such lovely honest and thoughtful comments on Trip Advisor, it is nice to know that guests do appreciate the work that goes into making there stay here with us as enjoyable as we possibly can. Once again thank you for your kind words

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Polish first

5th July 2014

Dear Sir

Booking Reference 180829393 Folio 740-19094
Royal Court Hotel, Coventry
It is with regret that I must write to you in complaining mode but I rate feedback from customers as an important element of business, for attaining a good service and for improvement.
My points here are twofold. Principally I am concerned and annoyed that your Coventry Hotel manager Caroline [--] did not have the balls to phone me last Tuesday morning as arranged with your charming receptionist Nana.
I thought it appropriate to give your manager a further opportunity to hear my views and I phoned again yesterday and young Scott said that he would ensure that I received a call between 9.00 and 10.00AM this morning, when she returned to duty.
For the second time, I have stayed in to receive the promised call –all to no avail and I find this so disappointing. .Your Manager does not, I would suggest deserve her job, but by copying this letter to him, she might again choose to telephone. This time however , I will not wait by the phone. I am only left to assume that your Manager, on returning to the office, instructed her staff to charge fully to the card detail ,left with the hotel for security purposes.

The 2 day booking commencing Saturday 28th June was disastrous. There were two weddings on that Saturday and the hotel seemed very busy, with a pleasant atmosphere.
However, after retiring to bed a little after 11.00pm we had to suffer continuous noise outside until around 1.00 am when the riotous noise in the indoor corridor commenced in earnest and continued fairly constantly until after 3 am. The fire alarm went off at 4am.A little after that, with dawn breaking, normality ensued. Surely room 128 is just not lettable when you have weddings.
Other aspects of our stay were only memorable for the wrong reasons with only one of your dining room staff able to smile. The food was poor in choice, content and service. Few of them wanted to be there! A similar feeling would have been shared with the guests.
We had to quit the hotel, and spoke to your receptionist Nana saying that I was not prepared to pay one penny without speaking personally to the manager.
It seems you do not have a duty manager, nor am I able to telephone reception to sort out any difficulties during nights and the Head Office does not respond to the phone at night either. On leaving the Hotel, Nana responded with cool efficiency notwithstanding that, for obvious reasons, she had been faced with a constant flow of complainers when I was there.
I will copy this letter to your Manager and to the credit card company refuting acceptance of the payment charged to my card account ,contrary to my instructions, but will defer writing my Trip advisor report , pending receipt of a reply from the Coventry Hotel manager,

Yours faithfully

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank TedJ140
caz665, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on trip Advisor.
I would like to point out firstly that a comment like she does not have the balls to communicte is rather rude and unecessay as on our phone conversation you clearly new i was female. No balls here. Also you have forgotten to mention the phone call on Saturday evening which i believe means i did return your call. Also the receptionist is called Nina not Nana.
You clearly are not happy with our service and hotel so I guess we will not be seeing you at this hotel again.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here midweek as working in the area.
The hotel is old fashioned and is in need of a refurb, plus absolutely everyone else staying there was part of a coach trip and therefore over 60 years old.
Genuinely like staying in man old folks home

Food was microwaved and horrid
Service at the bar was slow also

Do not stay here unless desperate

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank 343yorkshire
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to put your views on Trip Advisor
Well I am sorry to hear that you begrudge the elderly there holiday breaks, we welcome them at our hotel.
No food in this hotel is microwaved I can assure you
Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Recently stayed at the royal court and can't fault a thing. Check in was very quick. Room was a good size, & clean! We had meals at the hotel which were all lovely. Staff were very nice. Me and my friends had a lovely stay and will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank amberwills
caz665, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to put such a lovely review about the hotel and staff on Trip Advisor.
It is so nice to see that all the hard work we do here is appreciated by some
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had a great room and enjoyed my stay at the Royal Court on the whole. Breakfast was pretty average - they use really cheap ingredients and it shows ie sawdust bread, cheap sausages (plastic) etc. Desserts on a night are the frozen Gateaux type - not enjoyable meals, just kept you full really.
The staff were a bit distant and not completely engaged in their roles (less Rodriguez in the 2-4-1 bar - nice lad).
I would go again, but they could do so much more to make it more welcoming considering the history ie Home of Mr Hillman of Hillman Motors.
I understand the whole wedding sausage machine environment - but they have lost a personal touch.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Brindle2000
Hi Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor.
I am sorry that you were so dissapointed with the food on offer, I am pleased to say that we very rarely have a complaint about our food. I guess we will never please every one
Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

After what I would say was a reasonable thursday night stay at this hotel, I was very disappointed with the state of the function room my daughter's reception was to be held in. Had it not been for a very helpful manager on duty in the breakfast dining room Friday morning I do not think this room would have been ready for the wedding.
The staff during the whole day were extremely unprofessional, we were being rushed through every stage of this very important day. Staff were drinking and talking on their mobile phones during the reception.
Im sorry but this was not an example of good customer service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank wedding2706
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor, am i to take it that as you were so unhappy with your Daughters wedding held here last week that you will be looking to cancel your Son's wedding due to be held here next year.
I am amazed that the two brides on the day could not say enough nice things to the staff on how well the day went and how over the moon they were with everything. We have invited the girls back to have a chat with us but as yet have heard nothing from them.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I recently ran a 3 day Conference/Reunion at the Royal Court and would highly recommend it for a large event over a weekend. Pricing was very competitive, rooms were fine, lifts worked. Conference and large dinner facilities excellent. I was very impressed with the staff over the weekend, who were invariably cheerful and helpful; even at the end of a long day. Grounds are pleasant and there is plenty of parking.

Pre-planning by the Hotel management was top notch, going into every detail as necessary - we booked just under 2 years in advance and the plan did not have to change much. Note that if your event will more than fill the hotel up, that the Royal Court will work with the 2 other Coventry Britannia Hotels to have a single booking point of contact - which was very helpful.

The food for the main events was very good and far above my expectations. Running meals in the restaurant are what you expect from a mass catering outlet - not fancy or a la carte, but well cooked food in good quantity. Efficiently run by the very good restaurant manager - who is very cline focussed.

The Royal Court, like most Britannia Hotels, is at the budget end of the market. Provided you are not expecting a 4-star place then you won't be disappointed - it is very well run efficient and caters for the mid-week coach party market mostly.

My members really enjoyed their stay, the excellent bar prices, Gala Dinner and slick preparations for our Conference. Last word, the postcode on the website will take you to a nearby old folks home, or in one case a field full of cows - beware.

Room Tip: Good ground floor provision for those with mobility issues. Keep away from bar area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to put your lovely comments on Trip Advisor
We always try to insure that all our conferences, weddings and parties are a successful as we know how important the occasion is. We offer clean and tidy bedrooms though a little dated and good service from all our staff