“Excellent hotel”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 30 August 2014

The hotel was a lovely place to stay, the staff were more than helpful, the food was excellent.
The hotel was a 18th century building with gorgoues grounds and the lobby was spectacular and our room was a very comfortable place to lay our heads at night

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew W
caz665, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Hi
Thank you for your very kind words about the Royal Court hotel and it's staff we look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We have just returned from a coach/stay at the Royal Court Hotel in Coventry and I have to say I would never return, with the exception on 2 maybe 3 staff our experience was very poor, the reception staff barley lifted there head let alone speak, we where told that the bar was open till 11 oclock, this was not the case, it would close when the staff wanted and not the residents, we where treat like herded cattle at meal times, the lift 1 in such a large hotel was not enough, there where a lot of elderly people who needed it and on the morning of departure when the house keepers needed the lift it was un fare on the guests trying to get their cases down to receptions, not a happy stay ( Mon 25/8 to 29/8) Mrs Thompson age 57

Room Tip: Don't go
2  Thank Norma R

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor, we are sorry you felt that you had a less than good stay with us, we do have 2 lifts in the hotel and a lift for the phsically challenged

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Booked and PAID 10 weeks in advance for the Royal Court Britannia Hotel to ensure I had a hotel with nice grounds for my granddaughter to run around in during our trip, they e-mailed me the day before I arrived to say they were overbooked and bumped me to the Coventry Hill Hotel, a grim grey building next to the A45 surrounded by concrete that I would not have chosen in a million years. We paid for breakfast and were shocked at the state of the restaurant, the staff obviously could not cope, we waited to be seated as instructed by the poster at the entrance and were totally ignored by several staff going past, after 5 mins we gave up waiting, on entering we realised that although a lot of tables were vacant none of them had been cleared, we had to clear a table for ourselves, find our own cutlery, go in search of glasses for juice and milk for coffee and cereal. Didn't expect buffet service to mean no service at all !!! What a shambles and a lovely view of cobwebs on the restaurant ceiling YUK. To add insult to injury we took a little trip to the Royal Court and it was obvious we had been bumped due to a very large wedding reception taking place. The Britannia group must have known about this when they accepted my money !!!! Feel ripped off and lied to. Will never stay in a Brittania group Hotel again nor will any of my family or friends

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank MancMd59

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor, although you put your complaint on the wrong site this is the Royal Court not the Coventry Hill.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Me and my bf spent 4 nights here (we attended an event nearby). Our room was in the old part of the hotel and it seemed decent enough until I took a closer look: bathroom was grotty, wall was dirty and falling to pieces, bath was leaking and there was mould in every corner! The room smelled like cabbages and one of the wardrobes fell apart when I tried to use it. Not to mention I could also hear noises coming from the rooms next to us (especially when they were using the toilet) and from outside. At least the bed was comfortable and the housekeeping was nice.

But still, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone (opinion shared by many other attendees). You could have a decent room in any other hotel for the same amount of money. It's such a pity though, losing a client just because you can't take care of basic stuff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Maddieland G

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor, we are sorry if we did not meet with your expectations on your stay with us, we are a 3* budget hotel and the price you pay is a reflection on that rate

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Hotel refused to honour our booking and didn't let us know this until we arrived. We booked to stay four nights to be at a nearby event and on arrival were told they'd only take us for the first night. Afterwards we were to stay at another hotel miles away that looked even worse than this dump.

Obviously frustrated about this it did not help that the manager dealing with us acted completely disinterested in the massive inconvenience he had caused us and was quite blaze about the fact that despite our booking being months in advance a new booking had come in the last few days that was a higher priority than us.

The icing on the case was of course once we got our rooms keys we discovered the hotel was actually pretty grim too. The corridors were literally falling apart, ceiling tiles were broken or covered in damp stains. Many of the doors were shattered with exposed wood. The rooms were not quite as disgusting but there were pretty poor, this is basically the kind of place you'd only stay if you had no other choice.

6  Thank PerrinAshcroft

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor, it is a shame that you did not have the decency to give me the oppurtunity to reply to your email complaint before you posted your complaint on Trip Advisor, I am guessing that you will not be taking me up on my offer of compensation, as we are such a terrible establishment.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

The hotel is well located on the outskirts of Coventry in nice grounds with plenty of parking. The building is visually attractive and includes spa facilities. Inside much of the hotel is dated and decoration in places is poor. Housekeeping on the day we visited was poor with a tray of dirty cups and plates left on the floor on the stairs and used glasses and jugs left on a shelf in the corridor. The twin room was clean and tidy with plenty of space though limited complimentary toiletries. There is a large spa area but the pool was unsupervised and there were youths diving into the pool when other people were in the water which was dangerous and not picked up by Britannia staff. The cleaner also mopped dirty water from around the jacuzzi down the steps into the pool. Breakfast service was poor. On Sunday breakfast is served until 10.30. We arrived at 10.00 and there was only limited food available and no plates or fruit juice. When we raised this with the waitress she went to speak to the Chef and came back to say he had said they had run out. We asked to see the Duty Manager who turned out to be the person running a wedding booking that day as it appears Britannia provide only very limited management cover. She was, however, able to arrange breakfast for us. The cost of the stay was not expensive so was value for money but anyone wishing to stay at the Royal Court needs to be aware they will not be getting a high quality service at this establishment.

2  Thank TMG26

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor.
I am sorry if you feel that there was not enough management cover on while you were staying with us, we are a 3* budget hotel and as such offer a very good service at a very affordable price.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel was chosen for us by national holidays... No way would I have chosen to stay in this hotel by my own choice. Hotel room was very spacious as we were in a 4 bedded room as there were 3 adults and 1 child in our party. Upon arrival in our room I discovered there were lots of hairs in the plug hole, the room was very dated and the plug in the bathroom sink didn't work. We complained to the reception and her suggestion was to use another room for a bath as our shower didn't work either.
Mealtimes were very poorly organised. No free tables and one night it was suggested that myself and my 8 year old son sat at different tables! The food was of poor quality and I requested a pot of coffee with my breakfast and I'm still waiting for its arrival.
One good point was the free wi fi.
The staff are rude, miserable and uninterested in any concerns you raise with them regarding your room.

Needless to say I hope never to return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna T

Hi
Thank you for taking the timre to put your comments on Trip Advisor, we take all your comments on board and wil deal with them accordingly, i am certain that my staff are neither rude or discourteous to any of our guests.