“PLEASANT STAY”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 19 September 2009

I booked this hotel before i had read the comments on trip advisor, but when i did read them they sent me into a bit of a panic. I didn't tell my husband what was written on here, i'm glad i didn't cause i don't know what people are complaining about.

When we pulled up the front drive there was a wedding party having their photos taken on the front lawn, the building and grounds i could not fault, it was immaculate. The reception area was impressive.

We had booked just a normal double room, but when we got to our room it was a double room with a spa bath overlooking the back of the hotel, which we was pleased about as it was very quiet. The room was clean, the bed very comfy. The only thing i could complain about was 1 skirting tile missing from the bathroom but that would be really really picky of me.

We went out for the evening and when we got back at about 12.30 the wedding party was in full swing with a live rock band, but when we got to our room we couldn't hear a thing from downstairs.

The breakfast was a buffet style. If you love your full english this is the hotel for you. I was stuffed by the time i finished.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Royal Court Hotel - Coventry

Reviewed 16 August 2009

We booked 3 rooms for a wedding function and overall had a good stay. We booked two double rooms and a twin room.

Finding the hotel was quite simple, about a 10 minute drive from Junction 3 off the M6. We found a car parking space but it is a bit of a walk to reception, especially with two young children and trying to juggle bags and clothes on hangers. I think parent and child bays nearer to the entrance would have made it easier.

Checking in was hassle free, with the option to charge drinks to the room or pay as you go. We received our keys and made our way to our rooms which were all on the same corridor on the ground floor.

We entered our double room and found it a reasonable size with enough space for a travel cot. The decor was extremely tired. Drinking facilities were OK, the kettle needed a good clean but plenty of sugar, milk etc. The bathroom smelt of urine but looked clean. The shower was extremely powerfull and easy to use but there wasn't a bath. We had a view which overlooked the open space at the front of the hotel. There were a lot of people outside smoking and drinking but we couldn't hear anybody at night. The window only opened an inch and was a little bit stuffy. The TV had channels 1 to 4 with 2 radio stations. Teletext worked so there was no problem keeping up with the football scores.

The second double room was a little smaller but we had no problems. The twin room which was situated at the end of the corridor was huge. It had two single beds, a large chair with footstool and a large setee with ample room. The bathroom had a bath but it hasn't been updated in about 30 years. It was a pink suite with pink tiles and green slime in corners. The ceiling had numerous damp patches.

The hotel itself was quite vibrant but in need of modernisation. Many ceiling tiles were hanging off, wallpaper torn and shabby carpets. The bar was a nice area to have a drink and watch the football on the Sky TV. The grounds are beautiful although the fountain was full of rubbish. We went to an evening function in one of the Britannia suites. It was quite cramped and extremely hot and stuffy. We had a double pram and couldn't get around the tables. A disabled member of the family in a wheelchair had the same problem too. The disco was good with a big dance floor. Fortunately people could go outside and cool off. The buffet food was very nice and hot but was to one side of the room, so getting to and from the table was a pain as we were quite squashed as it was.

After a good nights sleep, we went to the restaurant and had breakfast. There was a good selection of cereals and fruits. Cooked breakfast was buffet style and had a good choice. The only slight niggle was that the bacon was extremely fatty.

We checked out at the reception and paid our room balance. Drinks are quite steep. £4.50 for a large glass of wine and £3.00 for a large coke.

Overall, we had a good stay. We paid £45.00 per room which included breakfast and was reasonable value for money. If the inside of the hotel matched the outside, it would be a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Ant1985
Reviewed 14 August 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a 4 night stay here as part of a coach tour. After having read some of the reviews here, I was pretty apprehensive about going. Once we checked in then arrived at our room, I really wondered what people were complaining about. Yes the decor is a bit tired, some new wallpaper wouldn't go amiss, but the room was spacious, clean, comfortable and with ample facilities. The bathroom just had a shower cubicle, which was ideal for us and also had shampoo, body lotion, shower gel etc, plenty of towels also. There was a large sideboard with lots of drawers, ideal for doing hair and make up and also a decent sized wardrobe so storage wasn't an issue. So it may not be a fancy flat screen tv, but we had 100% perfect reception, which must be a first! Being able to open the window a bit more would have been good as it was a bit stuffy on occasions. Dinner as part of our trip was in the main function room served as a carvery. This wasn't particularly to our liking, but that's just our tastes, no reflection on the hotel, everyone else enjoyed what they had. We found the staff to be efficient, polite and helpful, they were very good at dinner service. I wouldn't rate breakfast as the best I've ever had, but it was a satisfactory start to the day.

Overall this isn't the Ritz, far from it, but as long as you go with realistic expectations, you will be satisfied with this hotel. I'd have no hesitation in going back here if in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fiona2326
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The twin room was very large, clean, and all we could wish for in a six-night break. The service was excellent with a very quick response (less than 5 minutes) to our requests for e new light bulb in the bathroom and a second bedside lamp which was missing on our arrival. The service could not be faulted either upstairs or in reception and dining room. Quiet location but this didn't worry us as we were on an organised tour. Hotel amenities ecxellent. Liked best - cleanliness & plenty of drawer & cupboard space in bedroom. Liked least - would have preferred not to have carvery, quiz and Bingo every night

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Stayed just the one night -thank goodness. As I opened the door into the "standard double" room I was knocked back by the appalling smell from the bathroom even though the bedroom window and bathroom door was open. Further investigation showed green mould on the corner of the bath adjacent to the taps which extended up the corner of the wall. The overflow from the lavatory cistern was plumbed straight into the soil pipe bypassing the trap which meant that smells from the drains were simply vented up through the overflow. I very much doubt this would pass water board inspection or regulations. The soap dish which should have been fixed to the wall was hanging off. The floor covering which should have extended a few inches up the wall was unstuck all the way round the bathroom. The taps on both bath and washbasin were seized and required considerable effort to turn on and of. The toilet seat was loose so sitting on it was akin to surfboarding. The room was furnished with items from the 1950's although the bed proved to be comfortable.
A leaflet in the room asked visitors to make it known if items required attention. They seem to be missing the point. It is not the job of paying guests to engage in quality control. The management should have in place systems and procedures to ensure this. SUGGESTION: when the cleaning staff do their daily tasks get them to complete a simple report. This might involve a little training but is not rocket science they just need to open their eyes.

The final straw was the bill. I had just booked a room so I asked if I could take breakfast and add it to the bill which they agreed.They failed to tell me in advance that 1 breakfast would add £21.00 to the bill. !!Outrageous!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank startingtopuff
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We went to this hotel for a family wedding. We were happily surprised that the swimming pool and facilities were free at the weekend, which were enjoyable. However the room was not great at all. The furniture was dated, beds were very uncomfortable (I still have a bad back 4 days later!) and the room was stuffy but the window in our room wouldn't open. After the wedding reception, we asked the receptionist if they could come have a look at our window or give us a fan. We were told that fans were a safety hazzard as you could trip over the wire, be electrocuted or put your fingers in the fan (how old did they think we were?!!) The bloke came to look at our window and tried with spanners to open it but couldn't so offered us another room.Bear in mind this was 12.30pm! He didn't even offer to help with our bags and told us to fetch the key from reception. We had also asked for an iron and the same bloke turned up 2 hours later but with a pillow!! As for the wedding, the food was lovely apart from the face they had told us we could have anything rather than what we previously ordered, resulting in 2 people on my table having to wait 10 minutes as they had run out! Also we were told we would get a belgian chocolate cake for dessert only to be served a chocolate mousse that they hadn't even defrosted properly! Overall, I did not enjoy my stay and certainly would not be going back!

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank Carole021
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I must admit this isn't the first time I have stayed here so for me there was little to shock or surprise me. But after seeing some of the reviews here I thought maybe standards had slipped somwehat. I was glad to see they hadn't. the hotel was great as always.

We managed to grab a night without the kids, my first thought was to take my wife out for a meal at a local restaurant, but when I considered that a meal was likely to cost us £60 I thought I'd shop around, and sure enough a night for both of us at the Royal Court Hotel, including Breakfast and Dinner in an executive room cost just over £80!, we spent an hour or so in the spa bath before nipping down for a quiet drink (late afternoon).

Dinner was nice, I had a rather large steak with pepper-corn sauce while my wife opted for the carvery. both were delicious and the service was ace.

The evening was a lot busier, and there was 2 weddings and a 90th birthday party going on!!! so as you can imagine it was a little packed, but lucky after a long day and large meal the wife and I both fancied an early night, I slept like a log (but then I always do). The next morning we had a rather nice breakfast, and was planning to use the complimentary leisure center but decided instead to have some more private fun in the spa bath again :)

The other reviewers are not wrong with may of the points they raise but I feel that they may be over stating the importance of them. as one reviewer has stated, the Asian weddings that take place are very large, but they are also very beautiful. it was a great thing to watch unfold as the night went by.

And the amount of old folks at this hotel can be a little overwhelming if your a young person/couple. but again, the elder generation are a delight to talk to and are usually exceptionally polite. other than being a little slow to get around there is no real downside, and lets face it, we wern't there to rush!

All in all it was way better value than a simple meal out and was a well needed break for the pair of us.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple