“Very Good Budget Hotel”

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Midlands
“Very Good Budget Hotel”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

After I had booked this hotel, I read some of the reviews and was worried that my stay would quite an awful experience - as many of the reviews I have seen have tended to be negative. To my surprise, my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. As you walk in, the reception does appear to a bit 'old fashioned' but I didn't see any sign of the peeling wallpaper that other reviewers had complained about. The reception staff were very friendly and polite. The room was quite tidy and the sheets / bed covers were clean. The furniture in the room could do with replacing but my idea was to spend as little time as possible in the room. The bathroom was spacious and very clean. We had ordered a room with a spa bath and it was of an ample size for both of us. The hotel had 3 bars and ample seating space. On the day we were there, there was a Wedding being held and there was a great atmosphere in the place. The carvery that the hotel hold is well worth the cost (only £10 if you pre-book). There is even a beauty parlour - which my partner made extensive use of. I used the swimming pool. The only downside was that the bed was creaky and the walls were quite thin. This was only a problem when we were making love (as I am sure the people next door could here everything!!!!) but we still managed it 3 times over the weekend. Overall, my opinion is that it is a great hotel for what you pay. I paid £50 for a room with a spa bath - a price that I consider very reasonable. I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

1 Thank flawless101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Polish first
Harare, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Anyone who says this hotel is even marginally "OK" has possibly never stayed in another hotel before. This hotel is awful. We went last weekend for a wedding. A lovely wedding, in one of the function rooms. When we went up to our room, it was superficially clean, but on closer inspection I realised it was profoundly dirty! The bed mattress was lumpy and sank in the middle - my husband actually opted to sleep on the floor rather than endure the discomfort?! The air in the room was really dry and stale as if a million years of cigarette smoke had been absorbed into the walls. We tried to boil the kettle and leave it open to get some steam in the air so my 6 week old daughter could breathe as she had a cold.. that helped a bit but basically a terrible night was had by all. I would have complained at the desk, but the people whose wedding we went to were so lovely and the atmosphere of the wedding was so great that I thought it would be inappropriate and somehow incriminating of them to create a fuss. If I'd gone there in any other circumstances I would have immediately asked for our money back - ALL OF IT!!! I think the reason it felt so offensive was because a double room cost £80 which was is a completely over-priced rate. They are absolutely taking advantage of people's ignorance. You'd be much better of staying in a humble Premier Inn where you know you'll at least get a basic level of hygiene....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank berlyndanyabako
london
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Have just returned from a three night stay over the Bank Holiday week end at the Royal Court. We were feeling apprehensive when we arrived due to some of the poor reviews we had read on here but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. True, our bedroom and bathroom were quite dated but it was clean, the linen crisp and fresh, there was a plentiful supply of free toiletries. Breakfast was a treat and the evening carvery was more than adequate and at under £60 a night dinner bed and breakfast for two, including free use of the leisure centre, it was a fantastic bargain.

1 Thank jill1953
coventry
Reviewed 28 May 2010

well i booked my wedding here about a year ago, it is one of the nicest hotels in the area. after booking the wedding i did have a look at the reviews and they weren't great. I was really expecting the worst. this couldn't be further from the truth. the wedding co ordinator was so much help all the way up to the wedding. On the day the staff were so friendly and professional. the food was excellent and many people commented on how great the hotel and the food was. all the staff were fantastic and we couldn't have asked for more!! we stayed in the hotel over night and yes the decor was abit outdated but who cares if you only staying for a few nights. the breakfast in the morning was great too, there was a wide selection of choice and the staff again were lovely! I cant reccomend this hotel enough, it was fantastic!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Odense
Reviewed 20 May 2010

On pictures and from the great park outside, this hotel looks like it's a unique class. But the great look building and park is not justified inside.

ROOMS are 80's looking, dirty, not always cleaned well, wallpaper hanging loose and peeling, cieling paint falling off. I had the toilet seat (splinters in wood) replaced after complaint.

Reception is unfriendly, no service and slow to notice you are there.

WiFi ONLY in lobby where you are forced to sit in deep sofas at low tables in huge room. Not a good place to get things done. And it's not protected, so totally insecure.

Restaurant has one menu, a dry carvery with same boiled potatoes every day. Breakfast is typically English: choose either beans / eggs/ rubbery toast or high-on-sugar Continental. Waiters / service in restaurant is a story by itself. Never had such lousy service. Most of waiters are young people that obviously never were taught what to do.

Taxis in Coventry NEVER heard of credit cards. Not possible unless you give info to central office and against 37% (!!!) surcharge.

Only plus: pool, if you can live with lack of cleaning and maintenance in dressing area. Yes, you will have to pay £5 extra as hotel guest, but thats a one-time fee.

In short: wants to look great, but should be completely rebuilt and staff should be trained in a hotel school.

Too expensive for what it's worth.
NOT recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Doncaster, UK
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Id read very average reviews for the hotel but we were attending a wedding elsewhere so for £45 for a nights B&B we decided this would be sufficient.

The hotel is set in nice grounds and an excellent location for Coventry and Birmingham.

An early check in was achieved no problem for us to get ready for the wedding, and the room was large and as other Britannia hotels IVe stayed in (a little dated and average, old TV, old furniture etc but appeared clean) There was a very large jacuzzi bath which was a nice surprise.

After leaving for the wedding we didnt arrive back until 1:30am and we went for a drink in the bar which was again fairly dated with limited facilities but for the money its was fine.

The Breakfast room was very impressive and breakfast was a good hangover cure although as mentioned elsewhere the bacon was average, sausages cheap and fried eggs stood out til they were solid.

I wouldnt visit this hotel for a treat but as a functional hotel is was absolutly fine and I wouldnt be put off by the other reviews. However dont think your going to get pampered and looked after in modern surroundings for £45, likewise dont expect a la carte food with excellent service when a 3 course carvery isnt much over a tenner.

1 Thank ben9090
Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Stayed here Easter weekend, very cheap 210 for 3nights DBB for 2 adults at Easter cant complain about that!! Got a bit worried when we read reviews on here tho, but was noting to worry bout. we had the spa room with jacuzzi bath was really good, room was nice too, no noise to bother us. Breakfast was a buffet so can eat as much or as little as you like the usual sausges bacon eggs porridge cereals etc. Dinner was a carvery every night but it does state this when you book so no surprises!! Meat was good choice of 3 every night and s much potatoes and veg and yorkshires you want. Vegetarian choice didnt seem too good tho luckily none of us are veggies!! drinks just the usual price. staff where very pleaseant - dinner very busy tho best to book a t able we werent toldthis and didnt eat til 9pm on the 1st nite. also full of bus tours but they eat seperalty
went in the pool andhealth suite didnt get charged tho?!
it looks like a grand old building fromthe outside with grounds. big car park too
very good for visits to coventry and surrounding area - went to transport museum, tthinktank in birmingham and cadbury world, good location!
overall a good stay