“Good Wediing Venue, Shabby Accomodation”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Went to a wedding party which was excellent; good room and well organised but this was managed by an outside company. We got a cheap room rate as part of the wedding package but the accommodation was dreadful! The décor in the room must date back to the early eighties and the furniture showed its age with stains and scratches. The bed was also ancient, very lumpy and uncomfortable .The cistern made a noise like the QE2 docking at Southampton every time it flushed. Also, whenever the room next door used their bathroom, either flushed the toilet or ran a tap it, it was as noisy as if they were in the same room. Also, I could hear normal level of conversations from the rooms above and on either side. Result; very little sleep. Also, one of the ceiling lights wasn’t working. In the morning it was like a scene from “Fawlty Towers”; they closed the curtains and stopped serving breakfast announcing they didn’t have enough staff to cope with the number of guests taking breakfast until the intervention of guest who involved the duty manager. I would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
RoyalCourtM, Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2010

Dear Phillip 1907

I have recently taken over as General Manager at the hotel and I am grateful to you for bringing to my attention the problems you have highlighted.

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the level of service received during your stay. I am currently implementing a full training plan for all departments including housekeeping and maintenance to ensure the level of service received is never repeated.

Kind regards
Heather Thomas - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,903)

Reviewed 21 July 2010

I stayed at the Royal Court a couple of weeks ago after attended a ball at the venue. I live locally and am aware that it is not the grandest of hotels but expected more from this venue. Granted we booked fairly cheap accommodation but our room was seriously outdated with a pink 80s bathroom suite and loose tiles on the walls. The windows of the ground floor room were dirty and we had no fridge.

On calling room service and asking for ice and an ice bucket, we were charged £5 of which we were given a receipt for immediately and asked to pay in cash. I think the girl who brought the ice was slightly embarrassed at this!

The evening was standard with pretty tasteless food. A waitress accidently spilt soup down my silk dress and I arranged with the staff to leave the dress at the hotel, that they would send it to be dry cleaned to a 'reputable dry cleaners in Kenilworth' and that it would be delivered to my address within the next couple of working days. It is almost 2 weeks later and I have just rung the hotel to find that my dress has just been cleaned but by housekeeping who 'tried soaking it first but that didn't work!' IT'S SILK!

This hotel caters for large groups wishing to organise large events such as balls and weddings on a budget and so have a lot of custom. Customers and parties are treated as if they are on a conveyer belt with multiple events being held on one night.

I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We were with a coach party on an all inclusive package. We arrived at 4.30 pm and got a phone call at 5.10 pm telling us our 3 hour free drinks package was from 5.pm till 8.pm. I went down to reception and found a lot of guests complaining about this to a night manager who was arrogant and unresponsive. The following morning the breakfast was like a cattle market not enough tables for the amount of guests. That afternoon we were informed that the drinks packaged had been changed to 7.00 pm till 10.00 pm and the breakfast times had been rearranged, after that everything was fine. One day we came back from a day out and our room had not been cleaned I phoned reception and it was attended to in about 15 Min's. After the bad start I enjoyed the rest of our stay there the food was OK the hotel was clean. This was our first coach trip, I felt that in general the staff did not want us there. This hotel wants to make it's mind up if it wants coach party's there

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank spugg
Reviewed 11 July 2010

After I had booked this hotel, I read some of the reviews and was worried that my stay would quite an awful experience - as many of the reviews I have seen have tended to be negative. To my surprise, my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. As you walk in, the reception does appear to a bit 'old fashioned' but I didn't see any sign of the peeling wallpaper that other reviewers had complained about. The reception staff were very friendly and polite. The room was quite tidy and the sheets / bed covers were clean. The furniture in the room could do with replacing but my idea was to spend as little time as possible in the room. The bathroom was spacious and very clean. We had ordered a room with a spa bath and it was of an ample size for both of us. The hotel had 3 bars and ample seating space. On the day we were there, there was a Wedding being held and there was a great atmosphere in the place. The carvery that the hotel hold is well worth the cost (only £10 if you pre-book). There is even a beauty parlour - which my partner made extensive use of. I used the swimming pool. The only downside was that the bed was creaky and the walls were quite thin. This was only a problem when we were making love (as I am sure the people next door could here everything!!!!) but we still managed it 3 times over the weekend. Overall, my opinion is that it is a great hotel for what you pay. I paid £50 for a room with a spa bath - a price that I consider very reasonable. I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flawless101
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Anyone who says this hotel is even marginally "OK" has possibly never stayed in another hotel before. This hotel is awful. We went last weekend for a wedding. A lovely wedding, in one of the function rooms. When we went up to our room, it was superficially clean, but on closer inspection I realised it was profoundly dirty! The bed mattress was lumpy and sank in the middle - my husband actually opted to sleep on the floor rather than endure the discomfort?! The air in the room was really dry and stale as if a million years of cigarette smoke had been absorbed into the walls. We tried to boil the kettle and leave it open to get some steam in the air so my 6 week old daughter could breathe as she had a cold.. that helped a bit but basically a terrible night was had by all. I would have complained at the desk, but the people whose wedding we went to were so lovely and the atmosphere of the wedding was so great that I thought it would be inappropriate and somehow incriminating of them to create a fuss. If I'd gone there in any other circumstances I would have immediately asked for our money back - ALL OF IT!!! I think the reason it felt so offensive was because a double room cost £80 which was is a completely over-priced rate. They are absolutely taking advantage of people's ignorance. You'd be much better of staying in a humble Premier Inn where you know you'll at least get a basic level of hygiene....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank berlyndanyabako
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Have just returned from a three night stay over the Bank Holiday week end at the Royal Court. We were feeling apprehensive when we arrived due to some of the poor reviews we had read on here but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. True, our bedroom and bathroom were quite dated but it was clean, the linen crisp and fresh, there was a plentiful supply of free toiletries. Breakfast was a treat and the evening carvery was more than adequate and at under £60 a night dinner bed and breakfast for two, including free use of the leisure centre, it was a fantastic bargain.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jill1953
Reviewed 28 May 2010

well i booked my wedding here about a year ago, it is one of the nicest hotels in the area. after booking the wedding i did have a look at the reviews and they weren't great. I was really expecting the worst. this couldn't be further from the truth. the wedding co ordinator was so much help all the way up to the wedding. On the day the staff were so friendly and professional. the food was excellent and many people commented on how great the hotel and the food was. all the staff were fantastic and we couldn't have asked for more!! we stayed in the hotel over night and yes the decor was abit outdated but who cares if you only staying for a few nights. the breakfast in the morning was great too, there was a wide selection of choice and the staff again were lovely! I cant reccomend this hotel enough, it was fantastic!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family