“Faulty Towers and Pontins for adults.....YUK!!!!!”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 6 September 2010

unfriendly and rude staff, cold food sometimes no food unless you liked roast which was all you got for the four nights stay at this hotel. Let me explain, our Dinner time was 7.30pm so down you went and sat at your table,you were given cold soup or was it coloured gruel cannot make my mind up, then you joined the que or was it a line of beggars at the soup kitchens wondering what was on offer, when it was your turn all you got was roast or roast and veg or no veg and this was all they had to offer for the four nights stay. However we did hear that there was chicken my wife asked for same and the retort was chicken there aint none love just roast. Breakfast was just as bad once you got past Cruella deVille the waitress you were met with uncooked fried eggs, powdered scrambled and rubber sausages that would happily bounce about the floor and as for the bacon welllllllll it was last nights ham joint cut into chunks and flash fried. Now to finish Pudding we love pudding not here the fresh cream sponge thing was left uncovered as was the jars of fresh cream and was the supposed fruit salad thats if you got any. If there was not any pudding they charged you £3.50 for crackers and cheese. I have complained and had a half hearted reply but no compensation offered,maybe the local Health Inspectors should pay this place a visit Im sure they would enjoy themselves.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank thetaximan

Reviewed 5 September 2010

THe Hotel is acceptable, the rooms are ok size wise and reception area fine. But the whole place feels like it needs a complete refurb and some TLC.

We were part of a wedding party and the wedding room was ok, again the decor was (as noted elsewhere) from a different era. The food was good and service acceptable without being anything special. The bedroom we had was in the Manor House which really does feel like faded splendour.

All in all, it just about did what it needed too but nothing more and I left feeling like everything was just about ok but not convinced.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

stayed here bank holiday weekend with husband for our 23rd wedding anniversary never again the place is filthy needs a really good going over, corridors smelly needs much attention, bucket left on stairwell full of water, tape covering holes in carpet. This hotel realy needs closeing down and a refurb to bring it up to standard i read reviews before i booked and thought maybe it`ll be ok HOW WRONG WAS I, will not be using britannia hotels in future

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2010

i was very pleased with the hotel .some reviews i read was not very pleasing it gave totally the wrong impression a first class holiday food excellent and a good comfortable room highly recomend.

gordon backhouse
houghton le spring.
Tyne and Wear

• Stayed: August 2010
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2010

Dear Mr Backhouse

Thank you for your kind comments. I am please that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my team looked after you.

Heather Thomas

Reviewed 6 August 2010

my self and my wife stayed at the royal court hotel, the staff don’t show much interest in there clients, breakfast was a disaster plates left on tables again the staff not helpful
dirty plates left on tables, staff not clearing away dirty plates when thay can see people looking for somewhere to sit down we have had a far better service at travel lodges and
Holiday ins, I would not waste my money staying at the royal court again, once was enough.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank moneytide
RoyalCourtM, Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2010

Thank you for your comments. It is through feedback from our guests that enables us to improve both the quality and the service that we are providing in our hotel.
Please accept apologies from the restaurant team and myself, we are running an in-house training course to improve customer service
Heather Thomas

Reviewed 2 August 2010

Went to a wedding party which was excellent; good room and well organised but this was managed by an outside company. We got a cheap room rate as part of the wedding package but the accommodation was dreadful! The décor in the room must date back to the early eighties and the furniture showed its age with stains and scratches. The bed was also ancient, very lumpy and uncomfortable .The cistern made a noise like the QE2 docking at Southampton every time it flushed. Also, whenever the room next door used their bathroom, either flushed the toilet or ran a tap it, it was as noisy as if they were in the same room. Also, I could hear normal level of conversations from the rooms above and on either side. Result; very little sleep. Also, one of the ceiling lights wasn’t working. In the morning it was like a scene from “Fawlty Towers”; they closed the curtains and stopped serving breakfast announcing they didn’t have enough staff to cope with the number of guests taking breakfast until the intervention of guest who involved the duty manager. I would not choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Phillip 1907

I have recently taken over as General Manager at the hotel and I am grateful to you for bringing to my attention the problems you have highlighted.

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the level of service received during your stay. I am currently implementing a full training plan for all departments including housekeeping and maintenance to ensure the level of service received is never repeated.

Heather Thomas - General Manager

Reviewed 21 July 2010

I stayed at the Royal Court a couple of weeks ago after attended a ball at the venue. I live locally and am aware that it is not the grandest of hotels but expected more from this venue. Granted we booked fairly cheap accommodation but our room was seriously outdated with a pink 80s bathroom suite and loose tiles on the walls. The windows of the ground floor room were dirty and we had no fridge.

On calling room service and asking for ice and an ice bucket, we were charged £5 of which we were given a receipt for immediately and asked to pay in cash. I think the girl who brought the ice was slightly embarrassed at this!

The evening was standard with pretty tasteless food. A waitress accidently spilt soup down my silk dress and I arranged with the staff to leave the dress at the hotel, that they would send it to be dry cleaned to a 'reputable dry cleaners in Kenilworth' and that it would be delivered to my address within the next couple of working days. It is almost 2 weeks later and I have just rung the hotel to find that my dress has just been cleaned but by housekeeping who 'tried soaking it first but that didn't work!' IT'S SILK!

This hotel caters for large groups wishing to organise large events such as balls and weddings on a budget and so have a lot of custom. Customers and parties are treated as if they are on a conveyer belt with multiple events being held on one night.

I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010