“Good, budget accommodation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
United Kingdom
“Good, budget accommodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

Stayed at the Royal Court in September this year on our way back to Scotland from the WestCountry. First of all the location is excellent as its very close to motorways and as we were calling in at ThomasLand (Drayton Manor) its very convenient for that being only about 30 mins away.

On arrival was a bit wary as the website only shows the old part of the hotel, which is beautiful. The modern bit looks a bit like a 1960's council flat but I guess to accommodate the number of guests they have its necessary.

Reception is lovely, marble floors and impressive high ceilings. Check in was fast an efficient. Our room was spacious, we had a triple with a single bed for my 4 year old son and they still managed to squeeze in a cot for our 10 week old baby. There was tea and biscuits and an en suite with jacuzzi bath.

Dinner was OK, we were a bit late to dinner as we were playing in the pool so some of the stuff (not much) had run out. I was breast feeding my baby and as it was a late night for her she was fussy and I kept having to leave the restaurant to find a quiet place to feed her. The restaurant staff noticed my difficulty and offered to take our dinner to the rooms for me. A lady carried a huge tray with all our food and drink on all the way down a very long corridor to our room which I was very graeful for as it meant I could relax and eat.

Everything else was fine, no frills but fine. We didnt get our sheets changed before the second night which wouldnt normally matter but my son had wet the bed a bit so we had put them on the floor. We called reception and someone came to change them straight away. Similarly our glasses were just rinsed in the sink instead of being replaced, but Im sure we would have got fresh ones if we had asked.

All in all its a good, no frills hotel. My advice to other travellers would be to watch out for the coach parties, they get a lot of them and if you get there the same time as them you will end up waiting a while to check in / out or get drinks at the bar! Apart from that I cant fault the helpful staff and for a 2 night stay with two little kids (DB&B both nights with wine on arrival) I think £130 is a bargain. Some of these other reviews are misleading, if you want 5 star service then pay 5 star prices, for the same price as a travelodge (who dont do meals) what do you expect?!

We're going south again for Christmas and will be trying the Coventry Hill (sister hotel) but I hope we're not disappointed because we're very happy with the Royal Court.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank jojonic79
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 22 December 2010
Thank you so much for your honest and frank review. It is always nice to receive good feed back and I am so pleased you found our hotel welcoming and value for money. As the General Manager of both the Coventry Hill and the Royal Court, I look forward to welcoming you to The Coventry Hill at Christmastime.

Once agin thank you

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Polish first
Staffordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2010

We have recently returned from the Royal Court Hotel after a one night stay for a family birthday celebration. There is plenty of free onsite parking and a short walk to the entrance and check in desk. From the outside the hotel looks impressive and well maintained. Check in was efficient, having booked four rooms together three were on the first floor and one on the second but that was quickly sorted out to our satisfaction. The check in staff were pleasant and the area was clean and pleasant. The rooms were all excellent, a little damage to carpet edges and some slight scuffs and damage to the decoration but the rooms were bright, comfortable, clean and spacious. The bed was comfortable and everywhere was clean and tidy and the soft furnishings good. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath and plenty of clean towels. As part of the package we booked we had a bottle of champagne which was delivered to the room in a bucket with ice, a napkin and two glasses. The pool area was excellent as was the pool and other facilities in the area including the well equipped gym. The evening meal was taken in the dining room and was excellent as was the food and the most attentive staff. A table for ten was quickly sorted and the whole experience was faultless, the linen was white, clean and the dining room was well decorated. The following day breakfast was also taken in a different part of the dining room and there was an extensive selection of hot and cold food from the buffet which was well cooked and tasty. Overall the guest experience was excellent and have stayed in far more expensive hotels where the service and standards we nowhere near the Royal Court Hotel. We were all most satisfied with the hotel and the attentive and polite staff and will definitely be going again in the near future.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank engineersparks_20
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 18 December 2010
Thank you for your kinds words, it is so easy for people complain when it goes wrong, but always such a joy when someone notices the good service the staff do try to deliver.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

I have just returned from spending 2 nights at THE ROYAL COURT HOTEL, Coventry.

I visited with my wife on a ''Champagne Package'' deal which was bought and paid for on line before our arrival. We visited Friday 10th December 2010. Upon arrival at 4:00pm, my wife and I were kept waiting (without any eye contact, or acknowledgement from any member of staff) for 7-8 minutes.

4:50pm, we ordered food in the Manor House bar area, as we wanted a snack before the main evening meal. A lager shandy was given to my wife and I had a Guinness (which tasted watered down) while we waited. After waiting for over half an hour, our order arrived - but the specified chicken with cranberry and brie ciabatta on the menu, came WITHOUT the brie and cranberry. Instead, there was yellow congealed goo on the chicken which looked inedible. We sent BOTH orders back, as I was not prepared to wait an ADDITIONAL TEN MINUTES for staff to put the order right. FORTY MINUTES for a ciabatta is unacceptable.

8:00pm my wife and I arrived for evening meal. Attention to detail by staff was POOR. Customer care was nowhere to be seen. My wife ordered soup for a starter, but there were no bread rolls available for her. I had to specially request some. My wife asked the girl for wholemeal bread - she ignored her and plated white bread, spun on her heels and walked away.

When I asked for a glass of wine with my meal, I was asked - 'Small, medium, or large?'. I was not offered a wine list, or preference of sweet, dry or demi-sec. What eventually arrived tasted like vinegar and was quite revolting.

At no stage of the evening did a member of staff enquire if things were okay.

Upon going up to partake of the Carvery, my wife and I stood waiting for service. There was no chef in sight to carve. I had to flag down a member of staff who got a chef to eventually come out and carve. The vegetables and sauces etc were a mess. Some had run down and the cranberry sauce had an empty bowl. Again, I had to ask a member of staff to replenish the bowl with fresh cranberry. Staff vigilance was non-existent and poor. Staff avoided eye contact and appeared gittery, agitated and stressed. Everything appeared to be a problem! The only time a member of staff was prepared to engage me in conversation, was on the way out when they wanted me to sign for the fact I had partaken of the carvery.

I have taken a great deal of my personal time to give you feedback. My wife and I have eaten all over the world, and we are shocked and appalled at the poor level of customer service which suggests there is no training program within your establishment, or you are so complacent about it, it has never been updated, and feedback has never been encouraged. During the current economic climate, can you really afford to drive fee-paying customers away by being blasé?

Saturday 11th December 2010
8:00am – My wife and I were encouraged to see staff who were ‘on the ball’. Presentation of food was well maintained and stocks kept up to a good level. Used and dirty cutlery and plates were taken away swiftly by staff members from the tables.

7:00pm – My wife and I went to the carvery to partake of our 2nd evening meal. However, upon arriving in the vicinity, we were told ‘you’re not on the list’! Despite telling a staff member the previous day of our evening meal times of preference, we were treated like vagabonds and gate-crashers and told to come back at a later time.
Disgraceful!
8:00pm – My wife and I arrived for a second time that evening for our evening meal. Again we were told we were ‘ ...not on the list...’!!! Eventually, we were let in. On this occasion, someone asked us whether or not we wanted bread. Why did no-one do the same thing the previous evening? A jug of water was present on this table – none was present the day before. No butter was present on the table – butter was present the day before. Bear in mind this is the EXACT same location as the previous day – yet extraordinary inconsistency of service. The only consistent thing was poor customer service.

There’s more.

A waiter came up to my wife and I to take a drink order 8:05pm – a Coke for my wife, a pint of Guinness for me. I am still waiting for the drinks to arrive!!! He never returned. We ate our starter, and main course without the drinks we had ordered to accompany the meal. Why?

You can disregard this feedback at your peril, as I plan to plaster it all over the internet. I notice your website does not invite feedback, which in itself does not bode well. A complacent company is a dying company. Keep up this appalling customer service, and you will not be around this same time next year. Most of your staff appear not to give a damn. An ‘anything will do’ mentality will not cut it in my book. This was supposed to be a ‘Champagne Package’ to celebrate my wife’s birthday – you have ruined it. You disgrace the name of anything ‘Royal’ as there was nothing regal about your service levels.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Thank you for your e-mail, your hand written letter and your comments on Trip Advisor.

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the level of service received during your stay. My departmental mangers will be conducting extensive training with each of their departments to improve the service and ensure this is not repeated.

I took over management of the hotel in July and am endeavouring to improve standards in all of our outlets, this I cannot achieve without the feedback from our clients.

I can assure you that we have taken on board the points raised in the hope that we can ensure there is no repetition of these issues again. My heads of department are keen to improve the business and obviously it is only by listening to such constructive comments that we can hope to make things better.

Thank you for taking of your own time to write such a detailed account and I can assure you that this will not go unheeded.
Herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

My partner and I were due to go to the races at Warwick on Sunday which unfortunately got cancelled due to the weather conditions but I had booked a fantastic value deal via travelzoo staying at the Royal Court so we still travelled up. The deal consisted of an upgraded room with a jacuzzi bath, a 3 course meal, bottle of champagne and breakfast for the grand sum of £78! ( for both of us) The grounds are lovely and looked so pretty with a heavy frost. Check in at reception was excellent, the room was fine , bathroom a bit tired but lovely jacuzzi bath and the heating was fine.
Bar staff very helpful and served us with our bottle of champagne in an ice bucket which we took into the restaurant.
My only real complaint would be that the restaurant was very cold. It had very high ceilings and lacked any ambience. The staff were very good and put on some music which I requested as the room was silent and there was no atmosphere. Food was average ( we had the carvery ) but staff very attentive.

We only just made breakfast in time but waiter was still very polite and helpful. Good choice both cold and hot buffet style again.

We then spent a lovely day in Warwick where I wish to return when the weather is a bit warmer as is a lovely town.

Summing up we had a lovely stay at The Royal Court and what a bargain at £78!

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carolhan
Thank you so much for your very positive review and I am glad that you felt you received value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Kindest regards
Yaagsemash
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2010

Can't complain for what I paid -£78 for 2 nights room only.
Large room and bathroom, warm, comfy beds.
Rooms looking a little dated in places, old tv but apart from that fine.
Good facilities - Gym, pool, steam room.
Nice staff.
Location good.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Yaagsemash
Thank you for your comments, I am pleased to read that you found our hotel to be a value for money, I believe that your feed back is honest and balanced and I wish to thank you so much.

Bolton, Lancs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2010

I booked this trip on a special deal - £78 for two people, inc three course meal and bottle of champagne. After reading the reviews the day before our trip i was more than a little apprehensive.
Upon arrival of the hotel, the grounds and entrance are lovely. The check in staff were very pleasant and helpful.
We then went up to our room which we found to be clean and had the extra bonus of a jacuzzi bath. The room did look slightly 'tired' but lets not forget this is a three star hotel.
We spent time in the bar where the staff were polite and friendly and could not fault them.
My only gripe would be with the organisation in the restaurant, the restaurant supervisor needs to work on her customer service skills!
The food was lovely, the bottle of champagne went down a treat and we had a lovely break away.
with regards to the negative reviews, i think people expect the world these days for the smallest amounts of money!
for £78 i would definitely return

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

I have taken on board the comments you have made and will endeavour to continue to improve standards and service.

Once again thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

We booked a two night stay for my wifes Birthday and boy was we disapointed, We booked esecutive sweet with Jacuzzi dbb at a cost of £153 for the two nights.
Got to hotel reception it was very cold thought this is not a good sign and boy was i right.
We paid the other £10.00 so we could use indoor pool the dressing room was very dirty lot water on floor to get changed on plus lockers lots all broken. The room looked nice but was very cold only a normal single bed instead of king size that should come with esecutive room.
The worst it the resturant you expect a decent room with decent food the dinning room has broken windows and very big draft blowing through heaters broken so no heating in Nov, food served on cold plates and as room was cold befor you could finnish your food it was cold lots leave their dinner becouse of it has we did. I myself ended up with a cold in my stomack feeling very unwell spent the next day in bed all day when i was not in toilet with both of us missing Breakfast. The folowwing evening we went down to try the evening meal as we had paid for it clearly stated on recept dbb for two nights food was even colder as they had two coach trips in by the time you got to your table dinner was just luke warm My wife and i left nearly all of it uneadable. What followed was even worse as we came out of resturant we was made to pay another £25.00 for the meal they said our second night was only bb we only eaten their becouse we had paid for it.
I showed them the recept that they had sent witch clearly stated dbb for two nights they still charged and said see the reception. I took the recept to reception took no notice of what was on recept they had sent me said second night was only bb and would not refund the £25.00 we had had to pay. In disgust we never stayed the second night as probably try and con us to pay for breakfast as well. But disgusted the manager would not even deal with us once he saw the recept they had sent he just gave it to a meber of staff and told them to sort it with head office but could not get through so we packed our Bags and left and still they could not sort with head office. Do not be fooled by the photo in the adds this hotel would be very lucky to get a three star rating very lucky don't be fooled as i was thinking it was some where special for my partner to remeber it is somwhere we will never forget a ruined bithday weekend Thank you Britania Hotels its fairly obviouse they cannot afford to run hotels properly don't ruin your stay a cheap bb will give you loads better service than this hotel

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as yours that we can constantly monitor the standards of service we offer our guests.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I will investigate the points raised in your review and speak to the relevant Department Managers to address the difficulties you experienced.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and please accept my sincere apologies once again that it was necessary to do so.