“Don't be Lured by the Cheap Prices”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 23 February 2011

My Company booked this Hotel as we were attending an exhibition nearby. When they told me the price I queried it as it was much cheaper than anything else we had be quoted. It all started to go wrong when I checked in I was kept waiting for 20 mins with only one person on duty at reception at the busiest time of the day (early evening). Then when one of my colleagues tried to book in later we realised that the booking that the Hotel had was not what we had booked with Britannia. The Carvery - well what can I say - I should have listened to my colleagues, who wanted to eat elsewhere, it was cold the vegatables must have been there all evening & the service was about the worst I have experienced. The second evening we decided to find an alternative restaurant in Coventry so requested a taxi. At the appointed time we went to reception to find that they had messed up our taxi request - so we were late to the Restaurant. Now to the Rooms - well I only saw mine but despite beng quite spacious the decor was tired and I would have been ok with that. I wish that I had not gone into the Bathroom, interesting colour scheme but that was not the main problem. The toilet & basin were badly stained and many of the tiles were cracked and coming away. Someone should also tell them that you cannot use wall times on the floor - they were nearly all cracked. My main complaint came after I checked out though. I tend to check out before Breakfast to avoid the queues so to avoid my check in experience I was there at 7.00am. I was infomed there was nothing to pay as it had been covered by the Company's credit card. At the end of the Month I was disgusted to find that my drinks bill had also been charged to my own credit card. No attempt was made to contact me to tell me what was happening and no paperwork was sent to the Company. In my book taking money from a credit card without consent is theft. I would never trust this Hotel again. I phoned to complain but despite phone calls and emails I still do not have a receipt one month later.
In summary the worst hotel I have stayed in the UK and the attitude and professionalism of the staff leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank richard501
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2011

Thank you for your review, I have sent you a personnel message with regard to this and would appreciate it if you would contact me directly in order for me to invesigate

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed 15 February 2011

Just come back from Royal Court Hotel, after staying with friends for the weekend. We had booked DBB and an upgrade to an executive room for 2 nights - with a bottle of wine per room thrown in!. We were first given a double and a twin room when we booked 2 twins, but the staff on reception swiftly gave us another 1 on the same floor. The room was ok but our shower did not work so we informed reception who took a note of it but nothing was done! We had to go along the corridor to our friends room to use theres! The dining room experience was lovely on the Friday night, not much waiting and a good supply of (carvery) food. It was a different story on the Saturday night, when the place was full of Valentines couples! It was a fiasco, with people queueing for ages, then sitting down to dirty, unmade tables, and there was not much food available. I must admit that if I had been trying to impress a lady I would have been fuming - but as just four friends it was entertaining to hear all the people complaining around us, one lady throwing a chair in disgust and another arguing about missing champagne at the next table. We were put in ' the orangery' which was a bit tatty and had strip lighting - so much for romance.!
We went out for the day on Saturday and when we came back the housekeeper had not bothered to wash our cups/spoons and just thrown 2 milk cartons in each (dirty) cup!.
Apart from that we had a lovely time and people were working hard. You cannot expect a 5* hotel for £58.00 for 2 nights, so all the people who moan should take that into consideration, and pay more if that is what they want!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and please accept my apolgies for the Saturday night

Your comments with regard to the dining room, for this I can only apologise we had an unexpected shortage of staff and and also an unexpected take up on the offer we realeased of £58 DBB and wine over Valentines. While this is not an excuse in anyway we were vastly understaffed and we let you down and for this we are sorry.

I have spoken with Housekeeping and can assure you that this is not our normal standard and has been dealt with. The shower maintenace were awaiting a part but has now been repaired.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I do hope you will return as lessons have been learnt and we are constantly striving to improve.

Many thanks

Reviewed 14 February 2011

we have just stayed at the Royal Court Hotel on saturday 13th feb on the valentine break,at only £69.00 for the two of us it was excellent value and food and room quality were not compromised.We found our room to be clean and spacious with lovely white clean linen and towels,yes the decor is a little outdated but who cares as long as the room is clean.We used the swimming pool and spa facilities and really enjoyed our afternoon,this was at no extra cost.When we returned to our room w had been left a bottle of bubbly and chocolates,which was a lovely touch.We had booked the carvery dinner and yes we had to wait a little while due to the amount of people but found the food to be good and the staff friendly,the tables were decorated for valentines and each lady received a red rose,thanks.Breakfast was more than adequate and plenty to eat,so yes I would and will go again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed yourself. Please keep a look out for more specials on our website and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 13 February 2011

Room 241 was a disgrace and I should have made a complaint as soon as I saw the wallpaper had peeled off the wall to reveal bare concrete, but I did not know until I slept in the bed that it was very old, saggy and very creaky I also didn't know that the linning of the curtains was ripped to shreds and badly stained . I made these complaints the following morning and the guy on reception who was totally non plussed said he would make a note of it and bring it to the managers attention. On reflection I should have refused to pay as the condition of the room was totally unacceptable. I can't believe the other rooms could be as bad as room 241, a hotel just couldn't survive if all the rooms were as appaling as 241, however a spare mattress stored in the main stairwell to the second floor suggests that this hotel may have other problems too !

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you did not speak to us immediately. It is standard practice to room move any guest who is not satisfied with the standard of their room on arrival according to availability. We are aware that the hotel is suffering from wear and tear, and are continuously working to improve the state of our facilities. As you can appreciate with 210 rooms, this does unfortunately take time and is ongoing

My heads of department are keen to improve the business and obviously it is only by listening to such constructive comments that we can hope to make things better.

Reviewed 13 February 2011

After reading some poor reviews, we were a bit worried about staying at this hotel, but very pleasantly surprised when we arrived.
When we arrived it looked very nice on the outside with lovely gardens. Reception is very smart and tidy, friendly and quick check in. Our room (Executive double with jacuzzi bath) was very spacious, clean and tidy (although smelt a bit foisty) . The bathroom was clean , bath very nice especially with jacuzzi switched on. The food was very nice, evening meal was a sit down valentines dinner, breakfast was a buffet style full English. All in all we had a very enjoyable stay and would book here again.

The only bad points are:
TV's could do with updating and possibly some of the decor in the hotel.
Water a bit noisy when adjoining rooms used taps or toilet.

1  Thank Theshady1

I appreciate the time you have taken to post a review following your recent stay with us. It gives the team here great pleasure and motivation to receive such positive feedback. We are currently working on our rooms but as you can appreciate this does take time. I do hope we can welcome back to our hotel in the future

Reviewed 13 February 2011

We arrived with booking for double room, to be told only twin rooms available. Offered dirty, mouldy room which felt damp - declined offer. Polite reception staff offered sister hotel . Reception full of guests with similar complaints. The pool changing facilities were hairily dirty. With notices in the ladies not to "dye hair in shower cubicles" and a sauna with a warning not to shave legs in cabinet!!!! All was not lost , enjoyed recounting horror stories with other evacuees in more comfortable sister hotel where we were offered an hours free bar as recompense.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I do apologise for the mix up in bookings I am currently invesigating how this happened. Part of this was an unexpected take up on the offer we realeased. While this is not an excuse in anyway we are sorry we let you down.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed my other hotel the Coventry Hill.

Reviewed 9 February 2011

really good stay .took advantage of offer. paid 71 pounds for two people one night ,three course evening meal with complementary bottle of wine and full english breakfast.The staff were very friendly and smartly dressed .Bar prices reasonable .Handy for visiting Coventry about 15 mins drive .Very difficult to say anything negative about our stay only one minor moan was that the bar area was cold .To the management "keep up the good work"

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends