“good location, impressive building but let down by management's attitude to service.”

Royal Court Hotel - Coventry
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 7 March 2011

we stayed at this hotel because it was selected by our organiser because it was cheap. £130 for two nights dinner bed and breakfast for the two of us. We found that most things were OK, but when it came to meal times there was no management supervision. So although the staff were pretty attentive and pleasant, if there were no knives, or plates, or tea and coffee, there was no one empowered to sort it out.
And the food wasn't that good - cold and contract style.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank weedyx
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us, which I read with interest and concern. I do feel it is a shame you did not speak to our duty manager or indeed myself or my deputy as we could have resolved any issues and take great care to do so when something is brought to our attention

Thank you again for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

There are newer reviews for Royal Court Hotel - Coventry

Reviewed 7 March 2011

Booked a pamper package, but from central reservations to hotel reception, staff did not seem too aware what this involved. We were charged for a room upgrade which should have been free; the upgraded room had a broken window and 6FT stain on the ceiling - all supposedly executive standard; we had to chase complimentary chocolates and champagne twice; lockers in fitness centre predominantly broken much to the annoyance of regular members let alone hotel guests; website boasts being in 12 acres but I would suggest 11 acres is probably hotel and car park!
Spa staff were great - yes a positive statement - but do not be taken in by the pictures of the old hotel building. It's windows are held together by gaffa tape and it is a shame such large red brick accommodation blocks have been built in grounds and alongside such an old property - all not very appealing as you drive into the property - added to which there are rather dirty looking nets at all windows. I did complain on all fronts and whilst my wife and I were refunded the room upgrade charge (which should have not been payable in the first place!) - no additional reimbursement was offered as clearly Britannia Group management reckon their facilities represent good value and quality. They really need to think again! We have stayed in far far superior hotels and suggest others look elsewhere too, unless you secure a rock bottom priced deal!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S_JBanbury

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on trip advisor, as it is only through constructive comments such as yours that we can constantly monitor the standards of service we offer our guests.

I apologise for the difficulties you experienced whilst staying with us and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I will investigate the points raised in your review and speak to the relevant Department Managers to address the difficulties you experienced.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

just spent 4 nights at this hotel as part of a bus tour [glentons] the bedrooms were never cleaned all the time of our visit..the bathroom ceiling was peeling badley bathroom its self was never cleaned...the food was average..1st time staying at this hotel never ever again and the place in general was very dirty and run down.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank durhambrian
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2011

I am concerned that the problems experienced were not brought to our duty managers attention, as any problems would have been addressed if the concerns were reported and all necessary actions to rectify the situation would have been taken.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and please accept my sincere apologies once again that it was necessary to do so.

Reviewed 27 February 2011

Stayed here last night on a travelzoo deal. £29 pp per room including 3 course carvery, bottle of wine, breakfast and access to health club. We also had a free upgrade to a spa room with a jacuzzi bath.

The hotel and grounds are very nice but the bedroom was a careworn and dated. The bed was a bit hard as were the pillows but to be honest for £29 pp per room with all the exta's thrown in we thought it was ok.

Health club was also a wee bit twee and dated but the pool was warm, the jacuzzi/steam room and sauna were all clean and usuable. Towels were £1 each to hire and the lockers take a £1 coin which is refundable. Access to the spa was included in the price of the break.

Meals were self service buffet style but there were staff on hand to take away your plates and to seat you.

all in all it was a pleasant stay and if the offer was on again, I would consider another stay.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased to read that you found our hotel to be a value for money, I believe that your feed back is honest and balanced and I wish to thank you so much.

We are currently working on our rooms but with 210 as you can imagine does take time but is on going.

Once again thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 February 2011

Myself and my two teenagers have just returned from this wonderful hotel. After an initial difficulty with the computer systems being down and us not being able to check in, we had a lovely restful stay made even better by the wonderful staff - Nathan on reception was excellent and the lady in the bar near the carvery both went the extra distance to make our staff lovely. I cannot praise this hotel enough. I seldom have time off during half term with my children as a busy professional woman and I have to say that we all thoroughly enjoyed our one night. Had we not got a party to go to at home we would have stayed another night. The food is buffet style and you help yourself, the choices are not massive but there is so something to suit everybody and we saw a number of guests going back for more. All of the guests that we saw seemed to be in extremely good spirits and were enjoying themselves.
Don't believe the bad reviews - this is a nice hotel and is clean with staff who make all the difference. It does not smell like an old peoples' home - it was clean and fresh throughout and the cleaning staff all had a friendly "hello" when we passed by. We will certainly be returning. Special thanks again to Nathan and the tall dark haired lady serving in the bar near the carvery at approximately 2.30apm on 25th February who went out of their way to help with a cheerful, professional attitude and great service!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank IngaSimp

Thank you for your kinds words, it is so easy for people complain when it goes wrong, but always such a joy when someone notices the good service the staff do try to deliver.

Nathan and Ania were very pleased to be mentioned and Head chef is delighted you enjoyed the food.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we do hope we can welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed 23 February 2011

My Company booked this Hotel as we were attending an exhibition nearby. When they told me the price I queried it as it was much cheaper than anything else we had be quoted. It all started to go wrong when I checked in I was kept waiting for 20 mins with only one person on duty at reception at the busiest time of the day (early evening). Then when one of my colleagues tried to book in later we realised that the booking that the Hotel had was not what we had booked with Britannia. The Carvery - well what can I say - I should have listened to my colleagues, who wanted to eat elsewhere, it was cold the vegatables must have been there all evening & the service was about the worst I have experienced. The second evening we decided to find an alternative restaurant in Coventry so requested a taxi. At the appointed time we went to reception to find that they had messed up our taxi request - so we were late to the Restaurant. Now to the Rooms - well I only saw mine but despite beng quite spacious the decor was tired and I would have been ok with that. I wish that I had not gone into the Bathroom, interesting colour scheme but that was not the main problem. The toilet & basin were badly stained and many of the tiles were cracked and coming away. Someone should also tell them that you cannot use wall times on the floor - they were nearly all cracked. My main complaint came after I checked out though. I tend to check out before Breakfast to avoid the queues so to avoid my check in experience I was there at 7.00am. I was infomed there was nothing to pay as it had been covered by the Company's credit card. At the end of the Month I was disgusted to find that my drinks bill had also been charged to my own credit card. No attempt was made to contact me to tell me what was happening and no paperwork was sent to the Company. In my book taking money from a credit card without consent is theft. I would never trust this Hotel again. I phoned to complain but despite phone calls and emails I still do not have a receipt one month later.
In summary the worst hotel I have stayed in the UK and the attitude and professionalism of the staff leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank richard501
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2011

Thank you for your review, I have sent you a personnel message with regard to this and would appreciate it if you would contact me directly in order for me to invesigate

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 February 2011

Just come back from Royal Court Hotel, after staying with friends for the weekend. We had booked DBB and an upgrade to an executive room for 2 nights - with a bottle of wine per room thrown in!. We were first given a double and a twin room when we booked 2 twins, but the staff on reception swiftly gave us another 1 on the same floor. The room was ok but our shower did not work so we informed reception who took a note of it but nothing was done! We had to go along the corridor to our friends room to use theres! The dining room experience was lovely on the Friday night, not much waiting and a good supply of (carvery) food. It was a different story on the Saturday night, when the place was full of Valentines couples! It was a fiasco, with people queueing for ages, then sitting down to dirty, unmade tables, and there was not much food available. I must admit that if I had been trying to impress a lady I would have been fuming - but as just four friends it was entertaining to hear all the people complaining around us, one lady throwing a chair in disgust and another arguing about missing champagne at the next table. We were put in ' the orangery' which was a bit tatty and had strip lighting - so much for romance.!
We went out for the day on Saturday and when we came back the housekeeper had not bothered to wash our cups/spoons and just thrown 2 milk cartons in each (dirty) cup!.
Apart from that we had a lovely time and people were working hard. You cannot expect a 5* hotel for £58.00 for 2 nights, so all the people who moan should take that into consideration, and pay more if that is what they want!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
RoyalCourtM, General Manager at Royal Court Hotel - Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and please accept my apolgies for the Saturday night

Your comments with regard to the dining room, for this I can only apologise we had an unexpected shortage of staff and and also an unexpected take up on the offer we realeased of £58 DBB and wine over Valentines. While this is not an excuse in anyway we were vastly understaffed and we let you down and for this we are sorry.

I have spoken with Housekeeping and can assure you that this is not our normal standard and has been dealt with. The shower maintenace were awaiting a part but has now been repaired.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I do hope you will return as lessons have been learnt and we are constantly striving to improve.

Many thanks