“Lovely Stay”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed at this Hotel over the Bank Holiday weekend for my Wife's birthday.
We had a weekend deal with Secret Escapes that included 2 nights stay,a cream tea on arrival,and dinner on one of the nights.
We had phoned the Hotel direct to upgrade to one of their Feature Rooms in the Old part of the Hotel.
On arrival they had allocated a room in the newer modern part (Park Court),and I could see that my wife was slightly dissappointed with this.
I did explain that there seemed to be some sort of mix up.
The Hotel staff were very apologetic,but there were no rooms available due to Wedding Functions going on.
We were offered a complimentary upgrade to a Grand Feature Room in the same newer part .
Well...when we opened the door..........what a room!!
A large 4 poster bed.it was more like a suite,with a spiral staircase leading to the first floor,where there was a stand alone bath.and a steam room.
We had complimentary sherry,fruit,sweets.all in all.very very nice.
As this part of the Hotel is away from all of the functions,it had the added bonus of being extremely quiet,which we try to seek out wherever we go.
A big thankyou to Michelle and Garry the porter for all of their help and kind assistance.
The Cream Tea and the food in the Garden Restaurant were of a high standard,and the service was only what you would have expected from this high class establishment.
We would definately return at some stage.highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,059)

Reviewed 8 May 2012

I attended a murder mystery event here with a number of friends to celebrate a 50th Bithday party. Whilst the evening was not awful....I certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone else to go here. I had heard good reviews from other friends about the murder mystery events at Coombe but I think as we went as Christmas we got a really poor deal. The prices were hiked up ridiculously just coz it was in December and everyone was rammed in like sardines in very uncomfortable seating. Getting up to go to the bar or the loo was an absolute nightmare and involved disrupting many people to get out! The murder mystery event itself was extremely poor and as they had rammed such a ridiculous amount of people into the event nobody really got any time to speak to the characters to actually take part in the mystery. The food was also rather unpleasnt with small portions of bland food offering extremely poor value for money. I am still not sure what the starter we had was.....some sort of extremely unpleasant looking grey mush. The meat eaters said their food was palatable but the overall package offered really wasn't good for the high prices they charge.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Three words: WOW! WOW! WOW!
I wanted a party for my 40th Birthday. I decided on having a Medieval Banquet @ Coombe Abbey for my 150 guests. Only Excellent will suffice.
From the planning, where the co-ordinators always replied to questions (however triival) to the moment I left, was brilliant. It was such a personal service, being welcomed by my Christian name, the lead performer introducing himself to me earlier on in the day and explaining what was going to happen next in the Banquet, made it all wonderful and stress free.
The show was very entertaining and all my guests loved it. The food was amazing, hot and very good portions. I would definately recommend Coombe Abbey.
Thank you all for making my 40th so so special. :)) xx

Room Tip: Depends on your budget. The Grand Features (which I stayed in) are amazing but not cheap. All the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pitt B
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My sister celebrated her 40th Birthday party at Coombe abbey and had a Medieval banquet and disco. It was amazing! The staff were so kind and helpful,the food fantasitic and the show great fun. All our requests were met and bettered.
All guests enjoyed the evening and this is definitely the best party i have ever attended. A huge thank-you to all staff at Coombe Abbey.
Oh yes the grand feature bedrooms are out of this world. You will feel like very special and tops of a great evening at the hotel.

Room Tip: Grand feature rooms are bit more expensive but so worth it. Amazong rooms with amazing views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ritu B
Reviewed 28 April 2012

stayed here as part of a corporate event and was truly very impressed with everything about the place. Perhaps not the most suitable for families with young children due to the furnishings, nooks and crannies and places for them to get lost in or hurt themselves, but otherwise I cant think of anything negative about the place. A very unique hotel and far better than even the website pictures imply - which is rare these days! Highly recommendable and a great place for a romantic break! I shall return but with the wife.

Room Tip: they're all clearly very unique
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Lovely hotel in an amazing setting. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed on the Sunday night deal which included a 3 course meal in the restaurant. It was great value for money and I didn’t realise the restaurant was offering 2 for 1 on all the meals. I would recommend the Sunday night offer through their website as it is outstanding value.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is a beautiful hotel that provided the back drop for my new fiance to pop the question during our stay there. Without a doubt one of the happiest and most wonderful evenings for me regardless. However I know my partner was disappointed with what he thought his money had paid for. It did not occur to him when booking this wonderul surprise that we would end up staying in the "new" build at the back of the hotel (which he didnt even know existed) He chose a feature room on the basis of many of the rooms having features such as a roll top bath, bathrooms hidden behind bookcases, four poster bed etc. Whilst the room we had in the Priory was by all means a lovely room (spacious, clean and a lovely big comfortable bed) the reason he picked this hotel was to stay in a room full of history and character. So, in some ways felt a little "short changed" by booking a feature room.

None the less we had a lovely stay as this was a very special occassion for us, despite me feeling like there was a lack of warmth or hospitality from staff in general. We didnt even get a simple "how was your stay" when we checked out and very little eye contact.

We had dinner in the conservatory in the evening and again, even though the staff seemed quite disinterested and not the greatest service, the food was without a doubt delicious.

The main part of the hotel is beautiful and full of so much detail, ambience and history. On this alone I would rate Coombe Abbey as "excellent" but I did feel that the overall level of 'customer service' was a bit of a let down considering we have stayed in places before that have cost a lot less money but the service was above and beyond.

Perhaps on our one year wedding anniversary we shall return to celebrate and have our fingers crossed we do actually get a room in the main part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Unless you want a more modern roon, specify on booking that you would like to stay in the main part...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
The Jacobean Hotel
The Jacobean Hotel
#18 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!