“Wow! Beautiful hotel, lovely rooms & 5 star service! A must visit!”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
“Wow! Beautiful hotel, lovely rooms & 5 star service! A must visit!”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We arrived at Coombe & took advantage of the half term offer of free upgrade to feature room & children eat free. We had a friendly welcome at reception & i was simply WOW-ed by the character & ambience of the hotel. We stayed in room 209 a beautiful 4 poster feature room. Room was spacious & well equipped. Bathroom & bedroom had furnishings in keeping with the hotel, a lovely old feel. It was a lovely quiet room & spotlessly clean. The bed - Wow! Amazingly comfy & my daughter brought her inflatable bed so no need for extra beds in room. The view was nice, nothing exciting as it was to the rear of hotel, but we were more than pleased. Couldn't fault anything in the rooms, robes in the bathrooms were a lovely touch, tv was a little dated & no Sky TV but this is a old hotel & we didn't come to watch TV, overall really pleased with the room. We'd love a suite next time as they looked the biz :) After unpacking we took a stroll around the gardens & out onto the park. Even this time of year everything was well kept & my little girl adored watching the ducks & swans on the water. We had a lovely walk & then admired the exterior & interior of this beautiful hotel. Lovely ornate corridors, beautifully furnished, it is simply a pleasure to stroll around. It's a dimly lit hotel, so beware light lovers... It's quite dark, It all adds to the ambience & gives the hotel a very relaxed feel. It's perfect for romantics, but my 3 year old enjoyed the experience just as much as we did. There is a play ground & visitors park next to the hotel so younger kids have something to do. It's perfect to bring your kids although there weren't many during our stay. Moving on to dinner, i was slightjy dissapointed with the Table d'hote. The soup & cheese & biscuits were beautiful, but the main was a tiny portion of crusted lamb & my partner had guinea fowl. It was beautiful but the portion sizes were not generous & no vegtables (except the ones that dressed the plate - 3/4 teaspoons of mash & a leafy green like veg.. These dressed the plate & were not supplemented by extra vegtables) extra veg can be ordered at a supplement but we didn't as would have been a 10 minute wait, we weren't asked if we wanted extra veg at the time of ordering so we just presumed it came with the meal. It's just a very deceptive menu. You don't get what you pay for in my opinion. The main meals we saw other guests having looked delicious & better value, on reflection i wish we'd had a main & dessert as opposed to the Table d'hote. Just poor value for money. I don't want to appear negative because the food was lovely, just expected more on the plate for £34.95.
In contrast breakfast was a feast!!!! We had ample pain au chocolats, fresh fruit & cereals & a freshly cooked English breakfast, more toast & coffee were ordered & nothing was too much trouble, breakfast was supberb!!! Service in the hotel was top class, both for the restaurant & at breakfast. Eaten at alot of fine restaurants & the mannerisms & professional service at Coombe is high up in the ranks. They have seriously got it. From pouring the wine, to taking the orders, they execute it maginifecently. I wouldn't hesitate coming back to dine here. The staff were beyond helpful
& extremely professional from check in to check out. Overall a very Fine hotel, beautiful clean rooms that are unique & ornate, very friendly staff & exceptional service. Only criticism Table d'hote, but certainly didn't put me off. Would definatley come back to Coombe ~ a truely gorgeous hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Good evening
I would firstly like to take this opportunity, of conveying my appreciation, for writing such an extremely positive review, following your recent stay, here at Coombe Abbey.
I will of course, pass on your very kind comments to the team here at the hotel.
I very much look forward to having the opportunity, of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future.

Coombe Abbey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed here during the early part of Feb - snow still on the ground, crisp mornings etc
This was a special 40th Birthday Present - so we decided to stay in a Queen Suite over looking the gardens
Which was lovely, very Tudor enspired - as we both love history - felt like we were transported back in time!
We stayed here for two nights at a cost of £500 per night (£250 per person) - £1000 plus food & drink on site
Cannot fault the location, as we went to Warwick Castle on the way home - paying this amount of money you expect something a bit special - but the service was very poor, and not up to the standards that we have come to expect
Cannot fault the area, place, loaction, food was also very good - but came at a price
All in this was a very expensive weekend break away

Room Tip: We stayed in the Queen Suite over looking the gardens - which was lovely, but came at a price
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Good evening and very many thanks, for taking the time to post such a constructive review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.
I was delighted to hear, that you both had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. However, please accept my sincere apologies, if you felt the qualityof service that you experienced during your stay, did not meet your expectations. Please contact me personally here at the hotel, so as to hopefully allow us the opportunity to discuss the matter further and enable us to reach a mutually amicable conclusion.
I genuinely look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Hua Hin, Thailand
Reviewed 21 February 2013

A beautiful approach to the hotel, and the entrance lobby - wow! But then....... We were escorted by a very helpful porter to a completely separate building via a rabbit warren of outdoor paths, a security gate, and then a seemingly never ending very poorly lit corridor. Our room, when we finally got there, turned out to be quite small, with no refrigerator, the air con controls hanging off the wall, lampshades on the wall lights that looked like an afterthought, and a tiny bathroom. Fortunately the bed was quite comfortable! Breakfast did nothing to regain lost points - the selection was one of the least inspiring we have come across. We were glad to leave this very over rated and expensive hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Good afternoon and very many thanks, for taking the time to write a review, following your recent stay, here at Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my sincere apologies, if Coombe Abbey, did not meet your expectations. Whilst I appreciate it is now little too late, had you reported your dissatisfaction with your allocated bedroom when you arrived at your room, we would have done our utmost, to ensure you were moved to a more suitable room.

kindest regards

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2013

we enjoyed another fabulous stay at this amazing hotel for the valentine weekend. We stayed in our favorite section of the hotel , the park priory, and we were ungraded to a grand feature room, we normally book the feature room.

This is the perfect hotel to enjoy a relaxing romantic stay at any time of the year. All the rooms are furnished differently, and the whole place is well kept and looked after.

Our evening meal was wonderful, on this occasion we dined in the cloisters, which is a bit of a poor choice of name, my wife thought we were being put in the corridor of the old priory because the normal garden restuarant was overfull. In fact the cloisters is a very grand traditional drawing room, with a large fireplace and ornimental ceiling, magnificent.

Just to give a bit of critical feedback, hopefully constructive critism, the sunday am breakfast was a little disorganised. The hotel ususally hosts weddings and these guests may breakfast in other parts of the hotel, often the room where they have had their ceromony and night do. As this sunday was part of the busy valentine weekend the other guests either had breakfast in the garden restuarant or the cloisters, we were in the cloisters for our breakfast.The problem was there was no one greeting the guests, as is normal. Several guests waited in the corridor to be seated, unsure what to do. Some may have actually been booked in to breakfast in the other rooms.

This for us was a small problem, probabley due to the busy weekend. We will certainley be returning for another great weekend.

Good afternoon
Please accept my sincere thanks, for posting such a constructive review, following your recent stay, here at Coombe Abbey.
I was delighted to hear, that you had a thoroughly enjoyable, St Valentine's break. However, I would like to convey my personal apologies for the unfortunate issue you experienced with breakfast, prior to your departure. Your comments have been taken on board and I can assure you, that corrective action will be taken. Although we were extremely busy for breakfast on this particular morning, absolutely no excuse can be made.
I very much look forward, to having the pleasure of welcoming you back,
to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future,

Warmest regards

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Our rooms were very good, clean and the bathroom & shower quality. The hotel has wonderful touches in the decor. The Garden Room Restaurant is a lovely setting for dinner although service was at times a little slow getting drinks but the food was enjoyed by all in our party and all the staff polite and friendly. Breakfast was good. Check in-out smooth. After breakfast we had a walk around the grounds that are definitely worth a look. Would stay again. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Good morning and very many thanks for taking the time, to write such a kind a review, following your recent stay, here at Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my apologies, if you thought service was a little slow during dinner. However, I was delighted to hear, that it did not detract from your enjoyment of dinner it self. I will of course pass on your comments to chef.
I very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, in the near future.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We were very fortunate to have been guests at a friend's surprise birthday party weekend at Coombe Abbey including a private dinner and medievel banquet back in December and absolutely loved the whole experience.

The food was delicious, the service was brilliant and the attention to detail was amazing. All staff we came across were very pleasant and helpful despite it being a very busy weekend approaching Christmas and hosting a wedding. Special mention for the staff looking after us in the private dinner on the Friday night for their attentiveness and the way they upheld the element of the 'surprise' for our friend.

We really enjoyed the luxury of our room and bathroom - all spotlessly clean and very comfortable and we loved the building itself, its opulence, its quirky and individual rooms and the beautiful setting. The very tasteful festive decorations -and those lovely mince pies scattered around- all added to the atmosphere and our enjoyment of the weekend.

It was a wonderful weekend and a great hotel experience. We would love to return one day for a special experience. Actually, we have even chosen our room - Room 1, I think it is, up some steps from the lobby and in the turret looking over the moat and down the driveway.

It was a wonderful weekend, we were very impressed and can't fault the hotel at all, so it has to have full marks!!

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor near the stairs and was very quiet. It was lovely, but I want to try R...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Good evening and very many thanks for writing such a kind review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.
I will of course, pass on your extremely kind comments, to the team here at the hotel, as I am sure they will be delighted to hear, that you had such a thoroughly enjoyable time.
I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future.

australia
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This hotel stay was lovely except for the beds more later.
This hotel in an a 12th Century Cistercian Abbey which is beautifully furnished and decorated with many interesting nooks and quiet sitting areas. All the staff without exception where friendly, courteous, efficient and customer service orientated just how it should be. The grounds where lovely to walk around. The breakfast buffet was the best in all the hotels we stayed at. We ate in one night and though the restaurant was fully booked we ate on one of the many tables dotted around the ground floor areas as this hotel has many areas to choose from. The food was good. The ambience of this hotel is lovely.
The one problem was the twin beds we had the narrowest ( I have never seen single beds this narrow before) they where the most uncomfortable beds of any hotel we stayed in. Every time you turned over it was with a danger of falling out. My two teenagers in the next room complained and felt exactly the same way and they are tall and thin. We travelled on the night train from Rome to Paris and the beds on the train I would rate as a 1 out of ten, the beds we had at Coombe Abbey I would rate a 2 out of ten. I know not all rooms have these beds, so I would definitely stay at Coombe Abbey again but make sure on checking in that we did not have beds like these. If Coombe Abbey got rid of everyone of these beds, I would rate this hotel ten out of ten. I gave an excellent rating for this hotel due to everything else being perfect and the staff being so great.

Room Tip: Check out beds size before settling into room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Good evening and very many thanks for taking the time to post such a glowing review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my personal apologies, for the discomfort you experienced, with regard to the beds in your allocated bedrooms. However, i was delighted to hear, that this did not prevent you from having a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us.
I look forward, to hopefully having the opportunity, of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, in the not too distant future.

general Manager
Coombe Abbey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
New Hall Hotel & Spa
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 117 in Birmingham
Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!