“4 star really ?? More like 5”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“4 star really ?? More like 5”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I chose this hotel me and my girlfriends anniversary on 13th march and was blown away from the start everything from the politeness of staff to the Elizabeth suite room.
We had afternoon tea just after we arrived and this was just a taster of the experience. The room was clean and was beyond expectation. Although I had prior to our stay ordered flowers and champagne but the champagne was forgotten, but we were able to have this with our meal on the evening instead with no problems.
The evening meal was amazing tasty and well presented although we did wait a while for a dessert menu to arrive but to be honest we enjoyed the atmosphere and the waiting staff were fantastic unfortunately I could not remember any names maybe the half a bottle of champagne didn't help .
This is a great place to stay definitely worth the money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Good evening and many thanks for taking the time to write such a very kind review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my sincere apologies, for your pre-ordered bottle of champagne, not being in your bedchamber up on arrival. However, I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed it with dinner.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future.

Coombe Abbey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
Formby
Reviewed 18 March 2013

a quaint unusual out of the ordinary venue
reception staff were welcoming, valet parking offered and accepted.
my room was in the main part of the abbey, clean ans spacious, however the bedspread needed cleaning and the fringe on the canopy needed sewing.
service at the bar at lunchtime was a little slow, not due to lack of staff, more a lack off assertiveness.
I didnt eat apart from breakfast, the breakfast staff in the conservatory were efficient and pleasant. Cooked breakfast took 25 minutes and could have done with being a little warmer.
Breakfast in my room was good, got what I asked for even though it wasnt on menu and it arrived bang on time.
bathrobes, hot water bottles, hairdryer (not a bathroom type), fluffy towels, good selection of tea coffee hot chocolate, sufficient toiletries made the room very pleasant.
There isn't a comfortable lounge with bar service but drinks can be carried through to the large reception areas.
If squeaky floorboards can keep you awake take ear plugs, this is a very old building!

Room Tip: book for dinner, lunch or afternoon tea as no guarantee as a resident that you will get a table. I d...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Good afternoon. Thank you so much for writing a review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my apologies for the unacceptable issues you experienced in your bedroom. However, I was delighted to hear, that they did not prevent you from having an enjoyable stay.

Kind regards

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed here with our two young children as part of family group of 14 people, aged 5 to 80, for a 60th birthday celebration.
All our rooms were lovely, full of character and beds comfortable. The food was also very good as was the service.
For our 60th bday celebration we had been advised to opt for the private dining package due to the number of guests in our party so that we could all be accommodated together.
This included complimentary pre-dinner drinks and canapes in our own private suite then full waitress service of a three courses meal in a different dining suite.
We had a great, relaxing, time and can highly recommend. The food was perfectly cooked and delicious and the service was faultless.
There were a couple of hiccups with our rooms on checking in - including that one single room we had requested had not been booked; and a double requested with two extra beds had just been booked as a double room which was not big enough to accommodate two extra beds for two young children. But both these problems were swiftly addressed at check in within a matter of minutes to our full satisfaction.
Breakfast was also lovely - a hot and cold buffet choice of cereals, fresh and dried fruit, juices, pain au chocolat, pain au raisin, croissants and English breakfast (sausages, bacon, beans, scrambled eggs, mushrooms and fried bread). Freshly toasted bread and hot drinks were delivered by waitresses.
We are planning to return for a future family get together.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsH75
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Good evening and very many thanks, for taking the time to write such a kind review, following your recent family celebration, here at Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my sincere apologies, for the issues you experienced on arrival, in conncetion to your bedroom bookings. However, I was delighted to hear that this did not detract, from your overall enjoyment of your stay.
i very much look forward, to welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future.

cambs
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Stunning building/surroundings - wonderful food and absolutely beautiful bedrooms - especially if you get one in the abbey itself . The rooms in the new wing are gorgeous and sympathetic in style but the original rooms are simply mind blowing

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Good evening and very many thanks, for leaving such a glowing review, following your recent stay here at coombe Abbey.
I was delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed both the medieval banquet and the hotel in general and will of course, pass your kind words, on to the team here at the hotel.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We were only there overnight but it was a real treat, the hotel is very atmospheric, the outside is stunning the inside contains such a great mix of the old and new. The restaurant is a light, bright conservatory. The lobby contains a lot of seating ,nook and crannies with gentle lighting. Our room was fabulous, however it was evidently a disabled accessible room not sure why we were allocated it as we certainly did not need it. The beds were a little soft for my liking but they had blankets and not quilts which I prefer. There was plentiful supplies of tea and coffee and biscuits, plus a dish of boiled sweets. The toilet had an old fashioned cistern and a pull chain, the bathroom was very spacious.

We ate in the restaurant the food was delicious, the service very good and they had a good selection of foods or all tastes on both the a la carte and the table d'hote. I saw bar food being served and that looked excellent, huge portions.

Breakfast was a buffet, the usual continental and cooked food, didn't try the hot food but it looked nice and was very hot. The continental was nice particularly the warm pastries.

We booked on the Internet and I'd had some problems, firstly they rang to say that the Saturday that I had booked there was no dinner? So I booked for the day before. They then emailed to say it was cancelled but didn't confirm the change, I contacted them and received a confirmatory email for the Friday booked in the name of Julie Smith whoever she is! Then on the Friday they emailed me to remind me of my Saturday booking. All this chaos almost made me cancel, I am so glad I didn't as it was a fantastic experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the sin building as they are close to he restaurant and you get a view of the moat
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Good afternoon and very many thanks, for taking the time to write such a kind review, following your recent stay here at Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my personal apologies, for the unacceptable service you received prior to your arrival. However, I am delighted that you decided not to cancel your reservation and even more so, to hear that your stay, proved to be thoroughly enjoyable.
I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey, at some point in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

A lot of hotels claim "Olde English" settings and lineage but Coombe Abbey is the genuine article. The building is steeped in history, it has beautiful grounds and some fantastic internal features.
I stayed over for a conference and Medieval night and was very impressed by the venue. Like all of these evenings the fun is made by the crowd in attendance but the troupe of singers / actors who host the dinner make it very enjoyable. The foods basic, eat with your fingers fayre but its not about the cuisine its about drinking too much mead & wine and singing along with the cast.
All of the staff I encountered where professional, helpful, and accomodating even when dealing with 60+ people dressed in Medieval outfits charging around their premises.
My room was quite small but was furnished with a lot of care and attention and was spotlessly clean. Some of the feature rooms I saw where amazing so try to get an upgrade if you're staying over.

Room Tip: Try to blag a feature room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Good afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to post a review, following your recent stay here at coombe Abbey.
I was pleased to hear that both the conference & medieval banquet that you attended whilst you were here, were enjoyable and will of course pass your extremely kind comments, on to the team here at the hotel.
I very much hope to have the pleasure, of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey at some point in the future.

Kind regards

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel, sympathetically converted with a wonderful attention to detail. It is an exciting, interesting hotel to stay in and explore.
We went on a Groupon deal which, even with a £30 supplement for Friday night, was still very good value.
Our room, 53, was sumptuous and spacious with patio doors to a lovely courtyard. It was clean and the bathroom was beautifully in keeping with the Abbey decor. We were a little disappointed with the bed which, although large, was very soft and the pillows were also lacking in volume which was not conducive to a perfect sleep. It was very quiet where we were though which, with 3 young boys at home, was a real treat!
I had booked a table for 8pm when I booked the room and we confirmed this with reception when we arrived. When we presented at 7:55 the restaurant said our table was booked for 7:30. She made no fuss however and we were shown straight to our table. Whilst this was not an issue it is an example of some of the small niggles with this hotel.
We had a lovely meal which I can't fault. We choose from the A La Carte (wood pigeon, scallops, risotto, soufflé and 2 cheese plates). This came to less than the set menu and was good value.
The service at dinner was charming and all the staff were keen to make our evening pleasant. However, we sat down at 8pm and did not receive our main courses until after 9pm which we both felt was too long.
We were seated in the outer conservatory which was chilly and by the end of the meal I was really quite cold. Being half reptile, so not a good judge of temperature, I confirmed with my husband who agreed the room was pretty cool. I didn't realise until the end of the meal that the other part of the conservatory was much warmer otherwise we would have asked to move.
Breakfast was smashing. Lovely fresh fruit, a good selection on the cooked buffet and delicious pastries. Perfect start to the day and all in the warmer part of the conservatory.
All in all this is a fabulous hotel with really delightful staff. Everyone we met was welcoming and helpful. We will definitely go back, possibly with the children who would love the adventure of this super building.

• Stayed March 2013
Good morning and very many thanks for posting such a kind review, following your recent stay, here at Coombe Abbey.
Please accept my apologies, for any inconvenience that may have been caused, with regard to the timing of your dinner reservation. However, I was delighted to hear, that it did not detract from your enjoyment of dinner itself.
I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Coombe Abbey at some point in the future. Should you decide to bring your boys, we can provide an excellent child minding service should you need it.

kindest regards

Coombe Abbey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
New Hall Hotel & Spa
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
Staying Cool at the Rotunda
#1 of 117 in Birmingham
Best Western Plus Coventry Windmill Village Hotel Golf & Spa

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!