“Mixed. Would love to give it full marks!”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Oxford
“Mixed. Would love to give it full marks!”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Other reviewers have described the hotel better than I can, A beautiful building surrounded by a moat and stunning grounds. The hotel is very very atmospheric - Gothic, candlelit, full of nooks and crannies and eccentric furnishings. It is like nowhere else I have ever stayed. We booked a romantic break which is not cheap at £249 for dinner, bed and breakfast, champagne and flowers.
On arrival we were upgraded to a grand feature room which was wonderful, thank you very much reception staff.
The room was in the new annexe which is very well designed and was exactly as it appears on the website - stunning with four poster bed, fresh fruit, sherry and a spiral staircase leading to the bathroom.
Our evening meal was excellent and all the staff we met were fantastic, especially the restaurant staff.
Now the niggles!
as you walk into the hotel across the bridge over the moat there is a large notice saying photography is forbidden. Why? what is the first thing you want to do when you stay in a wonderful, historic building?
The champagne, flowers and chocolates which were part of the romantic package were not in the room and it took a phone call before they were received. This rather spoilt the romance! the chocolates never did arrive and the champagne glasses were filthy, however the flowers were beautiful.
There are very few plugs in the room making it difficult to use the hairdryer. There is no mirror at all in the bathroom and no full length mirror anywhere in the room.
There was no hotel information in the room with restaurant opening times, Wifi info etc.
There were lots and lots of flies in the window which all flew out when the window was opened but where did they come from?
We asked for a Campari and soda at the bar before dinner but were told they had no Campari.
Coffee after our meal arrived without sugar and after asking for sugar we were given no spoon!
The approach to the ladies toilets is dirty and smells very strongly of boiled cabbage.
The niggles are quite small in themselves but add up.
I would stay at Coombe Abbey again as it certainly is a hotel like no other but I think they should take note of guest feed back.

Room Tip: Rooms in the priory Annex were lovely
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
England
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The weekend starting on Fri 4th Of Oct 2013 will be a date we will always remember, as we were guests at our friends wedding here Coombe Abbey, it was truly a magical experience from start to finish, We didn't want to leave..The whole wedding day was just perfect! would recommend anyone to spend time here for any special occasion..I hope to return asap.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I recently attended a business trip to Coombe Abbey, the purpose was to have an overnight stay with dinner and the next day hold a team meeting with work colleagues. The hotel itself is very atmospheric, obviously being an old abbey, many of the features are still retained and the actual conversion to a hotel has been done to a high standard. However it was a very dark place with limited lighting, perhaps that’s the idea to keep the atmosphere real. The room I was allocated was in the new annex and was very nicely decorated, the shower was excellent, the bed comfy however the air conditioning was set at 19 degrees and couldn’t be changed, luckily I like my room cool but I felt it was inflexible to not be able to change the temperature. When I went to the bar that had been allocated to the company for pre-dinner drinks, it didn’t have certain beers stocked and some of the beer on tap had run out, although they did stock the beer and resolved the beer on tap, people had to buy an alternative. Surely if you know the bar is going to be used, simple stock check wouldn’t have taken long to do before hand. The quality of the food at dinner was very good however although we ordered the food before the day, the kitchen seemed inflexible to cook another meal as the numbers had already been taken up. The plus side was the private room was nice and enabled people to hold conversations compared to being in a noisy restaurant. Breakfast was plentiful with good variety of hot and cold buffet and set in a nice conservatory setting. The room that was provided for the conference hadn’t been setup as requested, there was no wipe board or butchers paper to use.
Overall, based on my experience, I would not go back to Coombe Abbey, considering you are paying £120 per person inc breakfast for a stay, this seemed very steep for the poor attention to detail and levels of customer service that was provided. Equally we had a couple of attendees that had to cancel and although we gave more than 72 hours notice, the hotel still charged us for the cancellation.

Room Tip: Get a room in the hotel itself rather than the annex as the directions to the rooms are not clear to...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Neil_Staniforth
Kelvedon
Reviewed 17 October 2013

On Fri 4th Oct 2013, my husband, mother in law, son, his girlfriend and myself all spent a night at this mysterious hotel in order to celebrate my son's 21st birthday. We weren't sure what to expect, but discovering it had been a 12th Century Cistercian monastery and belonged to the 'No Ordinary Hotel' group, we knew it would be different.
WOW! One of the most amazing and 'atmospheric' places I've ever stayed. You could feel the old 'energies' of the many people who must have passed through the corridors over the centuries, and even though there are meant to be at least two ghosts who regularly haunt the hotel, it only feels warm and welcoming. Walking into the reception area was like stepping back in time. Amazing!
Staff were consistently helpful, accommodating and polite and worked hard to make our stay special.
Our bedroom was in the main building and had a four poster bed with beautiful heavy drapes that matched the curtains. Secret nooks and crannies and unusual old pieces of furniture all added to the 'authentic' feel of the place. It was clean and comfortable and had everything one would expect to find in it.
Dinner and breakfast were both excellent with a good choice of menu and wine.
The grounds are breath taking and well worth taking time to walk around.
We all slept really well and.....no sign of the ghosts this time!

Room Tip: All rooms are quite opulent but dimly lit, as are most other parts of the hotel. If you prefer lots...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

Spent a night in Coombe Abbey this week on business. Room 139, the Chinese room was very interesting but the furnishing and carpets a little tired. Breakfast was excellent with a great variety of good food, and dinner was of a high standard. We also hard a meeting room - very impressive.
My overall impressions are good , and would recommend this place, especially to overseas visitors.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I organised my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary lunch for a group of 11 of us on 13 October. I booked an overnight stay in a 'feature' bedroom at a cost of £160 for the Sat to the Sunday for them followed by the family lunch at 1.30pm the following day.

My husband had been the previous day and taken some balloons, table decorations and some favours that I had put together to make the table a little more intereSting and special. He also enquired with reception about getting a late check out for parents on the Sunday bearing in mind that we had a meal booked and I didn't really want them to have to hang about (they are both eighty later in the year). He was told that this would be no problem as they were quiet on the Sunday so the room was free.
My husband then drove my parents to the hotel on Saturday afternoon and enquired again about late checkout and it was confirmed that they could have it.
The hotel room itself was very dark and bearing in my parents' age, they struggled to see clearly and had difficulty unpacking and packing. There simply wasn't enough light. For the price, I was disappointed by the room. I've stayed in better for considerably cheaper.

I brought my parents back to the hotel after a meal out on Saturday night and spoke to someone to confirm how late a checkout they could have and was told 11.15ish latest.. so basically no late check out! As it turned out, they were asked to exit at 11am. This is pretty poor customer service but thankfully my parents were fine with this.

When we all met up for lunch on the Sunday we were taken to our table. It was immediately apparent that none of my table decorations or favours had made their way onto the table so the table looked dull and uninteresting and not at all what I had wanted for such a special occasion as this. I sent a waitress off to find them which took a while and she sprinkled them on the table and put the favours in front of us... not the way I had planned and implemented so carefully!

The first and main courses arrived promptly and was enjoyed by most. Then for some inexplicable reason service ground to a literal halt and we waited just shy of an hour between main and dessert., a quite ridiculous wait bearing in mind 9 of us were having an ice cream based lid! Unfortunately two of our party had a train booked for 4.15pm and so I only had 3 mouthful of my dessert (served at 3.50pm and only after enquiring when we would get them!) Before I had to take them to the station. I had also organised and delivered the day before (together with favours, decs & balloons) a cake which had to be brought out whilst I threw on my coat, grabbed another mouthful of ice cream and sped off... not again what I had planned and a sad end to what had promised to be a memorable occasion for my mum and dad.

With family members coming from North Wales, Leeds, Berkshire and Surrey I honestly believed that Coombe Abbey could be relied upon to deliver an important family gathering. Unfortunately I was wrong on so many levels.

In Coombe's defence, the restaurant manager has been very thorough in following up my concerns although he still maintains that 2.5hrs for a meal for 11 is right. This might be so but you would expect, I believe that this would include coffee and not a wait of just shy of an hour between courses. He did refund 2 bottles of wine and has promised to send an afternoon tea for 2 voucher as compensation.

I am still left with a very bitter taste in my mouth regarding the very poor customer service I received over the course of the 2 days from conflicting information to forgetting the important extras I had taken time to organise.

It'll be giving my parents the tea voucher so when they visit us again they can give Coombe Abbey a second chance. I, on the other hand won't be returning in a hurry.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Claire R
poulton-le-fylde
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed one night on groupon deal - this was excellent value for money. Given a room overlooking front entrance and fountain - spectacular. Room has original features and building is magnificent.

Food was good in the evening and excellent breakfast. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#7 of 39 in Coventry
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,015 reviews

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!