“Very good service”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
United Kingdom
“Very good service”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We arrived at the bar which looked very busy, we were offered pre dinner drinks which was to our liking. The staff were polite and very friendly. We were offered the menus to view with our pre dinner drinks. Once seated the service was excellent throughout, we were even given wine advice to compliment the meals that were ordered. Would defiantly come back here again everything was enjoyable. A big thank you to the staff that made my parents anniversary a very special occasion.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Have stayed at Coombe Abbey before and really enjoyed the Medieval banquet, this time stayed for a couple of nights for my birthday hotel is fantastic, staff polite and friendly. Rooms are lovely and you cannot beat the unique furnishings and atmosphere. Breakfast was lovely. Couldn't fault it will difinately stay again. Hopefully next time my see some spooks !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Boerne, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stay in room 102 in main building. Room is awesome, bathroom huge, beautiful view out front and tub enormous and cool. Great atmosphere. Free parking. Very helpful, kind and understanding front desk. Breakfast good not great. Location good for visiting Warwick castle, a must see, and Stratford, where you should eat dinner at Lambs restaurant...on sheep street...yes I had the lamb...wife had haddock and loved it. I hope to stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

If like me you try to avoid bland, chain hotels and appreciate interesting and historic surroundings, you'll probably love this hotel. Public rooms and bedrooms reminded me of French chateaux, though there's a mix of styles and that won't be to everyone's taste. The bedrooms are among the most interesting anywhere - all different (unless you stay in the new annex, though these are still high quality). It's an historic abbey with a moat - so children will love it (suits of armour, etc.). On the downside, service in the restaurant and cramped bar is very pleasant but too slow. My monkfish for dinner was frozen and inedible (I would have expected an apology from the chef, but he was clearly hiding). Corporate types who crowded the bar during my visit were foul-mouthed, but that's not the fault of the hotel. But a really fascinating choice and worth considering for a special occasion.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here with work for a meeting and medieval banquet. I was especially interested as my wedding is booked for the sister hotel, Lumley Castle, for next year.
The food provided for the buffet lunch was excellent,with a good range of hot and cold foods with it easy to make healthy choices.
The banquet in the evening was good, although lacking in veg!
The meeting rooms were a little cramped, and spaced very far apart, which made breakout groups in the afternoon a challenge, and with some groups starting late due to getting lost and not enough staff on hand to give directions. The temperature of the rooms varied from freezing to boiling making it not ideal for presenting, or being presented to.
My room for the evening was lovely, in a 2nd newer building, but decorated in theme with the rest of the hotel. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the shower excellent!
The Abbey and it's grounds are stunning, and we'll worth a visit. Overall, I'd love to visit again with my partner, but did not find this a particularly great venue for large meetings.
Staff were helpful when you spoke to them, but it felt understaffed compared to the amount of people for our party, and another company also holding an event that day.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Lutterworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was an amazing birthday surprise for me from my wonderful daughter!
It was magic, the scones in particular were the best I've ever eaten..the staff were attentive, very friendly and helpful. We were given a refill of tea without having to ask, everything was just perfect.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed for one night in a Feature bedroom with a large bay window overlooking the moat. A lovely room with a well appointed bathroom. Other people have commented on the lighting. My wife described our bedroom as feeling like a cave, because it was so dark. There were spotlights above the bed, and this proved to be the only place where it was comfortable to read, once the sun went down. So, although it was a nice room, we didn't feel as if we would want to spend a lot of time in it.
I appreciate that the subdued lighting is all part of the medieval atmosphere of the hotel, which would be ruined by harsh lighting. Even so, I think the balance is not quite right, and better lighting in the bedrooms would be an improvement.
We had a very enjoyable meal in the restaurant, dining from the table d'hote menu. Service was friendly, and proceeded at a relaxed pace which was just right for us. On the other hand, we heard the people on the next table complain that service was a bit erratic, and it did seem as if their food arrived more slowly than ours. They had to ask twice for a jug of water. When it arrived, after he had poured them a glass each, the waiter had to be asked to leave the jug on the table, otherwise he would have taken it away. I am just making the point that two people dining in the same restaurant on the same night can have quite different experiences. As I say, we thought the food and service were first class.
Breakfast was also excellent. I think that you can always judge a cooked breakfast by the quality of the sausages. All I can say is.. very tasty!
We did not explore the grounds, as it was raining when we arrived, and raining when we left.
All in all, a very nice hotel. good for a romantic break. However, as we don't live locally, and are unlikely to want to stay over in Coventry in the future, it wasn't such a fantastic experience to bring us back another time

Room Tip: Stay in the main building if you want to soak up the medieval atmosphere.