“Beautiful hotel and gardens”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel and gardens”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

What a beautiful hotel in a fantastic park. Rooms much better than I imagined with lovely views. It's a little bit out so you need a car, but it's worth it. If I had to find a fault then it would be that there is no fridge in the room and the shower is over the bath. But that really didn't matter. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed as part of a business trip with a number of colleagues. Whilst the building it self is fabulous, the room that I stayed in was nothing short of appalling. What I am really angry about is the hotel team must surely know how bad this room is?
The room itself is tired and desperately needed a good clean, when pulling back the curtains I was met with a filthy radiator which had not been cleaned in weeks.
The kettle and facilities do not reach the plug socket and extremely dangerous to operate.
The main room light was broken and a health and safety risk.
The furniture has seen much better days and would look out place in a cheap B&B.
The door to the room had previously been damaged and did not look properly and even getting into this room is a challenge as you have descend into it!

Breakfast was a struggle and the staff were struggling to cope.

The only reason why I stayed the second night was due to meetings in the hotel on day 2.

Quite simply one of the worst places I have stayed in a long time.

Room Tip: do not choose 136
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank naiem w
Toddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I seem to be at odds with most reviews here but hey ho.

Firstly it is a stunning building and set in fantastic beautiful grounds and has the wow factor, but god damn it's dark and gloomy in the rooms and corridors. I know it's an ancient building and they are obviously playing up to that but reports saying the rooms are stunning??? Really? As opposed to say a Travelodge(at least you don't need a torch) well yes they are Grand but in a very,very old style. Basically they are playing up to the historic bit with the whole Bedchamber Schtick as an excuse not to renovate I.e lumpy old beds saggy chairs dated bathrooms that reminded me of my first trip to Bulgaria in the 90s( you can have any colour you want so long as it's brown) The rooms could be stunning without losing to much heritage if renovated sympathetically at the moment it has the feel of an 80s Hotel room.

Food & drink

We sat on the West Terrace for ore dinner drinks which is lovely but a bit of a trek from the bar. Bar area is nice and good choice with a local ale which was very good.

Restaurant has a lovely feel but the use of of cane chairs (it's a conservatory geddit?) for me doesn't work. I expected a bit more polish with service long wait for order almost 15mins.food I had Rabbit terrine apart from a couple of bones it was good, but the wife's Chorizo and Butternut Squash soup was missing the aforementioned chorizo and was very watery,like the Chef had stood at one side of the kitchen and waved a lump of Butternut squash vaguely in the direction of some stock.

In all I was disappointed although all staff polite and pleasant the Hotel for me is just to dreary in the bedroom department and as such I would almost certainly not stay again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel has the old charm we were looking for and the gardens were nice to wander around after dinner.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was nicely set up in the conservatory.

Our room was a feature room and it didn't disappoint!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rmchurc1
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Beautiful gardens and landscaping outside. Inside it is full of historical wonders and artifacts to view...very 'hogwarts'. The hotel rooms are in keeping with the historical building and are referred to as bedchambers. The weird thing for me was a separate bath area in the corner of the bedroom. The pipes clanged a bit at times when neighbours were using the bathroom/shower etc but forgive able in the hotel of this type :) ... A historical gem and memorable experience

• Stayed May 2014
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was given the afternoon tea for two voucher as a birthday gift.
When we arrived at the hotel I was not disappointed. It is in a really beautiful setting and the Abbey is a really lovely building. We went straight to the area designated for tea which was well sign posted. It was quite busy so we were kept waiting for a little while as the receptionist is also one of the waitresses and had to greet people, seat them, explain the menu and then go back to greet more people.
We were seated in a lovely conservatory in very comfortable chairs with cushions. We did wait quite a long time for the sandwiches and cakes - around 40 minutes from when we arrived. It was worth it though. You can have as much tea and coffee as you like and there are various blends to choose from. They had soya milk for me even though I had forgotten to pre-order. At first, when the food arrived I did not think it looked as if it would be enough for two people but in fact it was very filling. Everything was of very good quality and the cakes were unusual. There was also scones and cream with jam or lemon curd.
The atmosphere was very pleasant and we had a lovely afternoon.
You can park in the car park close to the hotel and it is free if you are hotel guests or having a meal there.
The waiters are all very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this for a special treat for yourself or a friend or relative.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rawtenstall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

If you are looking for a romantic getaway, or just enjoy staying in luxury when travelling, this is the place for you.

We usually stay in a feature room and although we have a small child and these rooms have one double bed, the staff are always more than accommodating when I ask them to put a fold away bed in for my son.

The feature rooms are glorious. Opulence and grandeur is everywhere and it really is like stepping back in time.

I have not yet eaten in the restaurant, but have to say the breakfasts are fantastic, always a great selection of hot and cold food, always with superb service.

Room Tip: We always choose a feature room - they really are spectacular.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
DoubleTree by Hilton Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#8 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!