“Lovely ”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Lovely ”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here lots of times and it's been really good every time, lovely atmosphere, rooms are amazing and breakfast is always good. Staff are always helpful and friendly to and it's lovely to walk around the grounds after breakfast, haven't had a evening meal here so can't comment but def worth going for a relaxing special break

Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
Milton Keynes, England
Reviewed 18 June 2014

just returned form a break at coombe abbey hotel, all I can say is wow! we stayed in the "the craven suite" and it was so out of the ordinary, the bed was as big as a double decker bus and the view out of the windows over the grounds was breath taking. I would like to "nit pick" and I suppose if I had to I could, but the pluses far outweighed the little niggles so if you want to treat yourself to a over night stop which is out of the ordinary go ahead and book.

Room Tip: book a grand feature room!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here with a big group for a corporate event. We had 2 days of meetings with ample choice for breakout rooms and a main room to all congregate. Plenty of hot tea and coffee/ biscuits - all good.

We stayed over for one night and took part in the Medieval Banquet which was a great bit of fun. Jokes, singing, eating, mead swilling and a bit of a disco. Not quite what i'd normally be doing on a Monday evening - but real good fun. The food for our lunches and the banquest was really good - and they made sure a GF option was available to a member of our party.

My room was warm and comfortable in the main Abbey building, with a big bathroom. The grounds are extensive and very nice to walk around before I went into day 2 of our work session. Overall it has to be the best place I have ever been to a corporate function at. Being honest would I stay here outside of work? Yes - there isn't anything not to like.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I booked this as a surprise for my boyfriend's 50th birthday as an overnight stay with dinner and breakfast. What an amazing experience. The drive up to the hotel is beautiful but in no way prepares you for what lies ahead. Coming into the dark, gothic reception from the sunshine outside was a real "WOW" factor. The decor is divine, moody, medieval, ghostly.
Reception was incredibly helfpul, and wished my boyfriend happy birthday without a mention from me. We were given a wonderful room with a fantastic view of the driveway. After going on a tour of the hotel, we went out to the gardens and were blown away. They were just stunning. Dinner in the Garden Room was fantastic and the service was faultless. The best part was having Tony (asst manager) give us our own private tour of the AbbeyGate rooms in the pitch black and telling us all about the history of the Abbey. Great guy. Very interesting tour - and felt very chuffed to have been given that opportunity.
Our room was great - freestanding bath in the room itself. Very theatrical and seeped in history.
Breakfast was delicious and Tony came to see us again with a birthday cake for my boyfriend.
This is somewhere I would recommend that everyone visits if they can. It's great value, amazing service and the staff are friendly and can't do enough. The place is really AMAZING and beautiful. Had the most wonderful time and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I was advised next time to stay in the Park House *new section" as the rooms are bigger and jus...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Booked afternoon tea for 4 persons for my Father's 80th Birthday via Buy a Gift vouchers. I booked the table for 2pm however we arrived at the Hotel at 12.30pm so that we could have a wander around the Abbey prior to having the tea.
The hotel is an amazing place which has been very sympathetically renovated to the period. It was a hot summer's day which made the grounds very appealing for an afternoon stroll through the Country Park.
When you first enter the Hotel it does seem very dark, however once your eye sight adjusts to the light you realise that this is done with deliberate intent in order to maintain the authenticity of the Abbey.
After our wander around the Abbey, we arrived in the Conservatory to be greeted by extremely welcoming and friendly staff who immediately showed us to our table.
We were given the menu's which were explained to us in full detail. For an extra £5 we could upgrade our afternoon tea to a Gentleman's Afternoon Tea which was more savoury to include Pork Pie, Venison Sausage Rolls and Scotch Eggs with a variety of pickles.
When the tea arrived we were not disappointed, it looked and tasted amazing. Included in the Gentleman's Tea was a half pint of Coombe Abbey Real Ale.
Throughout the meal the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. I would definitely recommend this venue for a special afternoon treat.
The only thing which I feel could be improved would be to offer real china tea cups and saucers, which would be a real improvement to the experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Coombe Abbey as I was attending a course at the hotel and only wish I could have stayed longer! The hotel was beautiful and set in lovely surroundings. I didn't get much of an opportunity to explore the hotel as I was only there for the one night but would love to go back for a weekend! My room was inkeeping with the style of the hotel and was comfortable with a large bathroom. The staff were helpful & friendly and the food was great. I hope to return for a weekend in the near future

• Stayed May 2014
Coventry
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I booked the Lady Craven suite for my stay at Coombe and I was not disappointed. The hotel uses the marketing phrase " No ordinary Hotel" and it most certainly is not an ordinary hotel.

The arrival, down the long straight driveway, gives an impressive first view of the hotel that is matched by the impression given upon entering the dimly lit medieval interior. As others have said this is obviously deliberate, in order to add to or give the feel and impression of great age to the building, indeed parts do date back to the 12th century. I did not see that as a negative, as some have, rather an indicator of the care taken about the small details in this establishment and the impression those small details give.

Upon entering the Lady Craven suite it is very impressive in its grand scale, decoration and the view from the windows across the well manicured gardens to the lake beyond. The only disappointment I felt was that there was no mini bar or fridge and the bottles of mineral water, on the table next to the window, were so warm they were not really fit to drink without the addition of some ice. It is just a small point perhaps, but maybe the bottles could be left in a less sunny spot or a small fridge could be added somewhere in this vast room, especially useful on very warm sunny days, such as this was.

The split level bathroom is sumptuous in its appointments with a huge deep bath, with a shower above it. Copious supplies of towels, toiletries etc are provided along with bathrobes.

I did not eat in the restaurant on this occasion, but I had previously visited for afternoon tea and dinner and found that to be most enjoyable on each occasion.

All of the staff that I came into contact with were extremely helpful and attentive, without being overly so. The drinks that I ordered, via room service, arrived very promptly indeed, probably some of the quickest room service that I have ever had anywhere!

The maze of corridors has lots of creaky old floorboards, as did my room, and the floors are uneven in many places, but what else would you expect in a building that in parts dates back to the 12 century. If your looking for a 21st century uniform concrete cell block type hotel then Coombe Abbey is not for you. If you are looking for somewhere special that is full of character with good service, good food and great staff then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Lady craven suite is grand and sumptuous with a great view over the gardens and lake.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TommyDPS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
DoubleTree by Hilton Coventry
Hogarths Hotel
Hogarths Hotel
#1 of 2 in Dorridge

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!