“DISSAPOINTED”
Review of Coombe Abbey Hotel

Coombe Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

My family and I want for afternoon tea on Sunday June 9th as part of a belated birthday party meal for my wife, who had been ill at the time of her birthday in January.

We were rather disappointed with the actual portions of food served for 9 persons and that the service was both slow and disjointed.Tge menu said we could have refills of coffee, but the only one we got was at the end of the meal, despite a number of requests. Not once we're we asked if everything was OK during our time at the table. I have since complained and been offered some recompense, but the day itself was rather a let down for us all, especially my wife and daughter( who had booked the meal).

We will go again to use a voucher we have been offered and hope things go better next time.

Brian Bartlett
Birmingham

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Brian B
Write a ReviewReviews (3,147)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Popped in for an overnight. Building & decor is stunning. The grounds are lovely. Try and get in a walk round the grounds after breakfast before you checkout. The rooms are novel! Has everything you need. Food was good and was reasonably priced as were the drinks.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracey P
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here lots of times and it's been really good every time, lovely atmosphere, rooms are amazing and breakfast is always good. Staff are always helpful and friendly to and it's lovely to walk around the grounds after breakfast, haven't had a evening meal here so can't comment but def worth going for a relaxing special break

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 18 June 2014

just returned form a break at coombe abbey hotel, all I can say is wow! we stayed in the "the craven suite" and it was so out of the ordinary, the bed was as big as a double decker bus and the view out of the windows over the grounds was breath taking. I would like to "nit pick" and I suppose if I had to I could, but the pluses far outweighed the little niggles so if you want to treat yourself to a over night stop which is out of the ordinary go ahead and book.

Room Tip: book a grand feature room!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here with a big group for a corporate event. We had 2 days of meetings with ample choice for breakout rooms and a main room to all congregate. Plenty of hot tea and coffee/ biscuits - all good.

We stayed over for one night and took part in the Medieval Banquet which was a great bit of fun. Jokes, singing, eating, mead swilling and a bit of a disco. Not quite what i'd normally be doing on a Monday evening - but real good fun. The food for our lunches and the banquest was really good - and they made sure a GF option was available to a member of our party.

My room was warm and comfortable in the main Abbey building, with a big bathroom. The grounds are extensive and very nice to walk around before I went into day 2 of our work session. Overall it has to be the best place I have ever been to a corporate function at. Being honest would I stay here outside of work? Yes - there isn't anything not to like.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I booked this as a surprise for my boyfriend's 50th birthday as an overnight stay with dinner and breakfast. What an amazing experience. The drive up to the hotel is beautiful but in no way prepares you for what lies ahead. Coming into the dark, gothic reception from the sunshine outside was a real "WOW" factor. The decor is divine, moody, medieval, ghostly.
Reception was incredibly helfpul, and wished my boyfriend happy birthday without a mention from me. We were given a wonderful room with a fantastic view of the driveway. After going on a tour of the hotel, we went out to the gardens and were blown away. They were just stunning. Dinner in the Garden Room was fantastic and the service was faultless. The best part was having Tony (asst manager) give us our own private tour of the AbbeyGate rooms in the pitch black and telling us all about the history of the Abbey. Great guy. Very interesting tour - and felt very chuffed to have been given that opportunity.
Our room was great - freestanding bath in the room itself. Very theatrical and seeped in history.
Breakfast was delicious and Tony came to see us again with a birthday cake for my boyfriend.
This is somewhere I would recommend that everyone visits if they can. It's great value, amazing service and the staff are friendly and can't do enough. The place is really AMAZING and beautiful. Had the most wonderful time and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I was advised next time to stay in the Park House *new section" as the rooms are bigger and jus...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Booked afternoon tea for 4 persons for my Father's 80th Birthday via Buy a Gift vouchers. I booked the table for 2pm however we arrived at the Hotel at 12.30pm so that we could have a wander around the Abbey prior to having the tea.
The hotel is an amazing place which has been very sympathetically renovated to the period. It was a hot summer's day which made the grounds very appealing for an afternoon stroll through the Country Park.
When you first enter the Hotel it does seem very dark, however once your eye sight adjusts to the light you realise that this is done with deliberate intent in order to maintain the authenticity of the Abbey.
After our wander around the Abbey, we arrived in the Conservatory to be greeted by extremely welcoming and friendly staff who immediately showed us to our table.
We were given the menu's which were explained to us in full detail. For an extra £5 we could upgrade our afternoon tea to a Gentleman's Afternoon Tea which was more savoury to include Pork Pie, Venison Sausage Rolls and Scotch Eggs with a variety of pickles.
When the tea arrived we were not disappointed, it looked and tasted amazing. Included in the Gentleman's Tea was a half pint of Coombe Abbey Real Ale.
Throughout the meal the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient. I would definitely recommend this venue for a special afternoon treat.
The only thing which I feel could be improved would be to offer real china tea cups and saucers, which would be a real improvement to the experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
#1 of 119 in Birmingham
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#9 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!