“Great afternoon tea.”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Armitage, United Kingdom
“Great afternoon tea.”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We were a party of four out for a jolly ending up with afternoon tea ay the Coombe Abbey Hotel. Very good selection of food available suitable for both the sweet and savoury toothed visitor, we chose sweet and and had a very good meal. Very impressive surrounding both inside the hotel and out. For for two of our party it was a second visit, it was just as enjoyable as our first.

The only adverse comment is that on arrival we waited .at the tea room entrance to be greeted as the hostess was busy, there were other staff in the room and I feel they could have greeted us and said the hostess would be with us shortly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cyril C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

the room is not as big as it is in their ADs and I actually found a BUG on my bed when I woke up in the morning which made me feel uncomfortable. The service attitude is not nice, one of their staff served a queue jumper rather than us

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lariceli
Burbage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just attended a friends wedding and stayed overnight. The reception was excellent really nice food and with a Feature room a fantastic nights stay. Hotel was extremely busy but there seemed to ample staff around for the wedding.

Room Tip: Book a feature room well worth the extra money
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Penistone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Superb location, rooms, facilities and medieval banquet catering for 70. Downside, lack of organisation from the hotel (too many events at once for number of staff) and basic tea/snacks at breaks. Highly recommend for a conference with a difference, and considerably cheaper than a Q hotel...

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here many times and my partner and I have always been presented with exceptional service from all departments. Previously working in the hotel and restaurant industry I know how hard it can be to keep such a prestigious place running smoothly. Every member of the team we have ever encountered have been polite, friendly and passionate about delivering a great experience. Will still continue to visit again and again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Yes the hotel is atmospheric, and for that, my husband loved it.
He loved the darkness of it, the history and character.
Me though - i need a bit more.
The dim lighting extends into the bedroom/bathroom. Windows aren't that big to start with, and have very heavy, very overdone curtains letting in barely any light. The lighting in the rooms is poor. Bad enough that you can't see well enough to remove/apply make up, but when there's not enough light to see whether the floor is clean...or if the drawers/cupboards are??
Hallways/stairs are even darker, so beware if you have bad sight.
Apparently there are beautiful gardens and sights within the hotel to see, even a shop - but we weren't given any info about anything.
We had a bar meal one night, asked for tuna on one sandwich and cheese/tomato (no pickle) on the other. Got tuna mayonnaise (which my husband hates) and cheese MIXED with pickle for my son. Guess who hates pickle? So, food came, but then we got the quick 'everything ok' about 10 seconds later before we knew what we had, and nothing after that. Did leave this info for them at checkout, but guess no-one cared!!
Breakfast was ok, Am i being picky when i think that i shouldn't have to ASK for milk and sugar when they bring the tea, or butter when they bring the toast? I don't think so.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank s w
Switzerland
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I had originally planned to meet a friend here for afternoon tea and then decided to stay overnight. The location is very convenient just a few miles from the M6 and the M1.

My room wasn't quite ready when I arrived early around 1100 but the reception staff were friendly and professional and contacted me by mobile when the room became available an hour or so later. The hotel itself is simply spectacular, and has been sympathetically restored. Its quite a maze and I had an enjoyable time exploring all the little nooks and crannies that its medieval heritage bestows.

As one would expect, the hotel is a popular wedding venue and is set in acres and acres of parkland and also has a lake. These areas are open to the public and get quite busy on a Summer Sunday afternoon.

The afternoon tea was really excellent and I would highly recommend the Gentlemen's tea which included Scotch Duck Egg, Local Pork Pie and a Venison & Red Wine Sausage Roll. You need to book for tea which is available from 12.30.

We also ate in the Garden restaurant on the Sunday night which was very good value and reasonably good quality with some interesting combinations. Service in the restaurant was just a little hit and miss and I got the feeling that the staff were just a little jaded after what had been a busy weekend with at least two weddings.

The rooms at the hotel are very comfortable and just a little quirky, with everything you would expect from a four star property. Pricing was competitive at £135 for a Sunday night stay (B & B) The only surprise for me was the pre-recorded Security message that repeatedly blared out - 'You are being recorded' when I ventured outside into a small garden area that was directly accessible from my room. (No.55) . I fully appreciate the need for security and possibly to discourage other late night adventures in the garden !!! but it would have been helpful to mention this at check in, to prevent heart failure when I ventured out for a breath of fresh air very late at night !!

All in all, this was an excellent stay and I would have no hesitation in recommending or returning to Coombe Abbey.

Room Tip: Room 55 is easily accessible from reception on the ground floor and has access to a private walled g...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hugh B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Macdonald Ansty Hall
DoubleTree by Hilton Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
Village Hotel Coventry
#9 of 39 in Coventry

Been to Coombe Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!