“Good, but ridiculously expensive food and drink”

Macdonald Ansty Hall
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
GreenLeadersSilver level
Coventry
“Good, but ridiculously expensive food and drink”
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed with work and straight away impressed with the look of hotel. Receptionist was lovely very welcoming and efficient. Bedroom was ok, lovely bed and pillows, although heater very noisy at 3am and switching it off at wall switched all lighting off too??!!! Very accommodating about us being late to eat by pre booking food for us, and the food was ok, but exceptionally expensive for very small portions. Steak and chips are about £19 for an 8oz (I guess) Ribeye, about 9 chips, a tomato and some Green trim. Oz cheek nice but no veg to go with it other than a matchstick of parsnip. And about £4 for a peppercorn sauce. And the wine was ludicrously overpriced. £11 for one glass from a bottle I regularly drink at £6 per bottle. Unashamed rip off i'm afraid. Such a shame because the service was so lovely but I wouldn't eat or drink there again due to the unreasonable costs.

but been non existent, just a couple of matchsticks of parsnips. parsnip st

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma154
Antonio C, General Manager at Macdonald Ansty Hall, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Madam, Thank you for your reveiew. I was delighted to read that in general you enjoyed your stay .In terms of the food and bar pricing, we constantly review our local comepetitor set 4 star hotels to ensure that our pricing is not the most expensive in the area as well as ensuring that the choice of wines, food quality and provenance, that we offer are of superior quality. I do, sicerely, hope that this will not deter you from considering revisiting us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Leicestershire United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We have visited Ansty Hall on many occasions as we have booked this venue for our wedding next April. On every visit we have found the service second to none. The rooms are immaculate and tastefully decorated and the grounds are immaculately manicured. It is very rare to find such a hotel with such friendly and caring staff. We would have no hesitation in recommending this lovely hotel and very much look forward to celebrating our special day with the Management and staff at Ansty Hall.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear both, Thank you so much for your kind comments and feedback. We are so proud of our standards of service and product that is reflected on the number of guests coming back again and again. We are looking forward to seeing you soon, and as you know, if you need any further assistance please let us know.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at Macdonald Ansty Hall for one night while on business in the area and would certainly return again. The hotel is a peaceful retreat set in lovely grounds but only 2 minutes from the M6 near Coventry. I found all staff extremely pleasant, helpful and professional. I had a very enjoyable dinner and the freshly cooked breakfast was the best I have had for some time. The main building has lots of character and my room on the first floor had great views of the gardens to the rear of the hotel and was extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the main building have great views of the grounds.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sir, Thank you so much for your kind comments. Has you have experienced, we at Macdonald Hotels, are passionate and proud of our people, food quality and presentation,
which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Macdonald Ansty Hall is a hall built in the late 1670 or there about and has great character. it is set in 8 acres of beautiful grounds. Stayed here for weekend as a leisure guest to celebrate families diamond wedding anniversary. The service was first class in every way. The staff were very helpful and efficient. the room was clean and fresh with lovely bathroom. Breakfast was beautifully presented and tasted great with hot food cooked to order. Credit to all the staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Sir, Thank you for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I booked a surprise birthday meal for my wife's 40th, for 20 people. I also booked a hotel room for a night's stay. I would heartily recommend the hotel, as everything went brilliantly. The pre service from the Sales person was fantastic and she was very attentive to my requests. The menu choice was good, all the adults commented on how good the food and room were (we ate in the library). The service on the night was excellent, so many thanks to one and all for giving us all a night to remember.

Room Tip: If you want an room with more character, then ask to stay in main building as opposed to the annexe.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Antonio C, General Manager at Macdonald Ansty Hall, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for your review, and I am pleased that your wife birthday party dinner was a success. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your party back in the near future.
southport
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights as part of a work conference.
The staff are incredible - from reception/ bar/ conference room /restaurant nothing was too much trouble all requests met with a smile and a desire to assist- a credit to the industry.

Restaurant Food of a high standard, my only comment would be that the drinks are expensive. Large Red Wine was £11.00.
Comfortable bed, perhaps the overall decor slightly dated - but in the whole scheme of things a good venue .

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, and you found the staff to be excellent. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome back to Macdonald Ansty Hall in the near future, being for business or leisure.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

When you read such varying reviews of the same place I sometimes think I must be in some sort of parallel universe.
Our say was wonderful. The room was an executive double and spotless as was the bathroom. All lights and plumbing worked properly and the water was pipping hot. My only small criticism was the hand wash basin had a small crack in it so needs changing.
We had dinner on the night of arrival. I choose the salmon to start followed by braised ox cheek on horseradish mash potatoes with roasted root vegetables and creamed cabbage. I've never had the ox cheek before and it was delicious, just melted and so sweet and recommended. The pudding was a chocolate assembly that was too rich for me but my wife thought it lovely! She started with the serrano ham with rocket, continued with the cod loin and finished off with the ginger parfait (as well as some of my desert!). Wine was white and should have been served cooler so had too wait a while for the ice in the bucket to do its work. All said a rather superb meal.
Breakfast was a full english after fruits to start. The portion was not too large but that suited me as there was plenty of fresh toast. The meal is cooked fresh too so there is a little wait but worth it. I dislike the 'buffet style' meals where food has been languishing under heat lamps. Noted the plates were very hot to the touch. I tried the smoked haddock for the second day which I didn't enjoy as much but this is no criticism of the food.
Staff were always friendly and efficient and when we asked for places of interest in the vicinity reception printed off information for us. Preeti on the desk was particularly helpful and always had a smile for you.
I've stayed a few of the Macdonalds now, mostly in the north of England, and have enjoyed them all thus far. So I recommend you try it for yourself.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We are awaiting for the delivery of the sink unit to replace the cracked one. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.