I was looking for a nice place somewhere in the Midlands for a romantic night away and this hotel came up on Secret Escapes. On arrival, I was met by a lovely lady on reception who checked me in. I then went to the bar to wait for the other half and met another nice member of staff behind the bar, an ex PTI who was happy to shoot the breeze with me while I waited. So far, so good!
The room we were booked into was perfect and just what I hoped for, a lovely size, clean and tidy... Or so I thought... After half an hour, my sense of smell was picking up something vaguely resembling vomit and on closer inspection, it appeared to emanate from the carpet. I had just ordered room service and the nice chap from the bar delivered it to us, but he also commented on the smell. We were then moved to another, equally as nice room, but without the stench without any fuss at all.
After dolling up for dinner (we had reserved a table) we made our way to the restaurant. The décor was lovely and in keeping with the hotel and the service brilliant. However, what let it down was the fact that there was a wedding also on which meant our food got delayed, delayed and delayed some more to the point I was practically eating the napkins while drinking myself silly as I had no food in me! When the food eventually arrived, it was great, but I had passed the point of starvation by then and didn't really fancy it.
After a greats nights kip, we woke and were looking forward to our breakfast in bed. Again we waited, and waited, and waited. I rang reception and was told it was on its way, several times to no avail. In the end, I had to get dressed and march across to the main part of the hotel to find out where it was, that was not my idea of a leisurely breakfast!
The food when it did arrive tasted like it had been sat on the hot plate for half an hour and didn't taste nice at all. Checking out went smoothly after I had managed to complain to the manageress (another lovely lady) about the room, the service and the food. She knocked us some money off the bill so I didn't grumble, but even she pointed out that the reason service was slow is because they were understaffed. I can well believe that because up until the poor show, I was very impressed with the hotel.
So, a note to the head of the chain, get some more staff in your hotel and experiences like this won't happen again! Recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Ansty Hall is a grade II listed Georgian mansion dating back to 1678 and set in 8 acres of grounds in the rolling Warwickshire countryside. 62 bedrooms, restaurant, meetings and conferences for up to 140 delegates, corporate activities, weddings, family events, banquets, festive events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Ansty Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Ansty Hall Coventry
- Macdonald Ansty Hall Hotel Coventry