“The best hotel i have stayed in.”

Macdonald Ansty Hall
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 November 2010

This is a very picturesque grand hotel. The rooms are spotless, spacious and the beds were really comfy. The staff were really welcoming, helpful and polite.
The bathrooms are 5*.
The dining room is grand, with very reasonably priced food.
I would recomend this hotel highly, and any opitunity i get ill be going back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed 21 November 2010

Since I made the original reservation as a treat for my wife's birthday, I broke my leg and could not access room 1 as we remembered there was no lift to it.
Contacted the hotel and they rearranged a room in the annex near to the lift. Although not a good view the room was spacious and exactly the facilities needed by a temporarily disabled individual.
Staff were excellent in arranging access fto the room, for dinner and breakfast.
My wife is allergic to onions and garlic - chef made her sauces and adapted the dishes ordered to ensure there was no problem.
Suffice it to say, dinner was excellent and enjoyed in the quiet embience of the main dinning room.
Sunday breakfast was great. Even though it was busy the catering did not resort to the unattractive buffet style , instead the cooked breakfasts were done specificaaly for you.
O.K we had to wait a wee while but Elio apolgised in advance and like Guinness it was worth waitng for.
Our family joined us for Sunday lunch.
Food for the grand children was exaclty as they wanted including extra portions of pork crackling for the girls and Yorkshire puddings [just because they fancied them].
The audults who now included vegitarian and celiac requirements were accommodated in the same efficient way as the onion and garlic allergy.
Again, excellent food served in quiet surroundings at a relaxed pace.
The whole family enjoyed it. Thanks again to Elio and Karolina for their attentive service.

It was once we were relaxing at home [12 miles away] in the evening and we had calls form the family saying thanks for a great day thet we reallised why we keep going back to Anstey Hall. Excellent food and efficient friendly service in a truley enjoyable environment. Oh and as you would expect from a Scot - good value for money.

Reviewed 19 November 2010

The hotel is situated close to Coventry but aspires to be a country hotel and does it's best. The hotel itself has some old world charm and has a new building just off the main hotel which has a new feel cloaked in an old 'coach house' style.
When we first stayed at the hotel there was wedding in a separate building which overspilled slightly into the main hotel, the guests were unfortunately discourteous and a little drunk keeping us awake for most of the evening. The hotel manager invited us to stay again and located a quieter room on the first floor which was perfect for us, as a disabled wheelchair user the room was very spacious.
We would advise future guests to ask if there is a wedding on and if unavoidable ask for a quieter room.
Restaurant is of a good standard with staff that work their socks off to provide satisfaction , breakfast can be busy so get in there early!

1  Thank Beanyweany
Reviewed 15 November 2010

An excellent experience, great service, friendly staff, good food and wine.

1  Thank RGC21
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We stayed at ansty for a friends wedding, I thought the hotel was ok, staff were helpful and our rooms were big. Our only problem was that the drinks were very expensive (about £10 for a spirit and pint) so we soon ran out of cash and needed to put our bar bill on the room.

Needless to say I checked our bill carefully at check out and discovered a £50 charge for cleaning vomit from our room. Neither myself or my husband had been ill and we certainly did not call for anyone to clean in our room. I told them this, and was told that a female guest had reported hearing someone vomitting in our room at 1.30am and housekeeping came and cleared it up! I was asleep and my husband was in the bar with friends!

I told the receptionist to go to the room as there was no smell of vomit in our room and to see for himself. He went and came back with a stern looking housekeeper and said there is a stain on the carpet and the room did in fact smell if vomit!!! I was appalled and offended! 100% this did NOT happen and I can only think this may be a scam to get extra money.

He took the charge off after I argued with him and said there will be an investigation with the general manager.

I have never felt so disgusted and angry at such a scam, with the hotel blatently lying.

There was a stain outside our bathroom on the carpet, which I noticed in arrival, but unfortunately did not report. Maybe this is the hotels way of getting money back off me, for someone elses actions.

Just be aware of this scam. I felt offended and angry when I left the hotel, not thinking about our friends wedding, which should have been the case.

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank MrsFab2009
Reviewed 9 November 2010

We have just had a lovely weekend at Ansty Hall whilst visiting relatives in the area.
The village location ,beautiful grounds and a grand old building make for a relaxing away from it all escape.
Our "executive" room was in the main house ( but some rooms are in the grounds and this means that you have to go outside to get to them). It was well appointed with high ceilings and thick blackout curtains at the windows. However the bed was probably the least comfortable that I have ever experienced in a hotel. It was very soft and we could feel the springs through the mattress topper. We also had a problem in that there was a speaker below our room (room 26) situated in the dining room and music was playing up through the floor at a very early hour of the morning. Neither of us slept well.
The breakfast was fantastic (even veg sausages for us veggies) .It was freshly cooked to order and came out piping hot and beautifully presented .
As one previous guest has noted, though, the piped piano music in the dining room is on such a short loop that you wonder if it's a deliberate ploy to get guests through the restaurant more quickly as they can't bear to hear the same piece of music repeated more than a few times (and how do the staff put up with it?).
We didn't eat at the hotel in the evening but the Rose And Castle pub in the village deserves a mention. It is less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel and is very atmospheric. The food was outstanding and the service very good, but book in advance as it gets busy.
The staff at the hotel were always friendly and willing to help, although they could be a little too informal at times.one member of staff at breakfast told my husband that he was "weird" for wanting Tabasco sauce on his eggs . Quite funny really and probably true but not very professional!

3  Thank tabithaEngland
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Stunning from the outside and a first class service inside. My double room was lovely and the full english breakfast was excellent, I had it delivered to my room. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends