“Good location, friendly and cheap!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hylands Hotel

Hylands Hotel
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
“Good location, friendly and cheap!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I hadnt read the reviews posted on here before I stayed and I'm glad I didn't as they would have put me off a pleasant visit.
Firstly when paying £30 for a double room it will quite clearly be a budget hotel!! If you are looking for luxury then this place isn't for you.

Upon checking in we were greeted by a cheerful and helpful staff member. We were given our key card to room 42 and as we had little luggage we found the room ourselves. Upon entry I was happy with the overall facilities available- the bathroom did look a bit shabby but this didn't put me off.

As the festival we planned to attend was cancelled we went for a meal and returned to the hotel early and had drinks at the bar- this was fair value for money as serving sizes of both glasses of red wine were much larger than one would expect.

Whilst at the bar we were asked by a member of staff if we needed anything extra for our room- we did request extra pillows and these were brought up to our room quickly by a polite young man.

The next morning we went down for breakfast, the furniture in the breakfast room were in a good condition but the carpet does need to be updated- I would suggest the owners look to an alternative easy to clean flooring around the food area.

As already stated the room rate was £30 and the value matched the price. If you can overlook the minor niggles some of the other visitors have posted, this hotel is fine for the price

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Tracky3011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Godalming, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Hotel with rather dated feel located a couple of hundred metres from Coventry railway station. Paid GBP 25 for a large room with slightly 'tired' feel to it. Some niggles but fair value.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank winkelschleifer
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I sayed at this hotel regularly about 5 years ago, when it was a clean, fairly tired, but acceptable hotel.
Conditions upon my recent stay challenge adequate description.

The only possible redeeming feature of this hellhole could be that the carpets may undoubtedly be of use for medical research, as it must surely be rare to find such an array of bodily samples in one place !

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank 359282
Nottm
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I work in coventry and needed to stay overnight and booked what appeared to be a nice hotel from the outside. I was in an executive room and the two seater sofa and chair had many many stains, I'm sure you can immagine what. the shower only had cold water, if I had tried it in the evning I wouldnt have stayed but I was in late so went straight to sleep. I even told them it didnt work and they provided no alternative. The hotel has a hygeine rating of 1 so that meant I didnt even dare try any food. The black out blind didnt reach the bottom of the window and the curtains were just for show so didnt actually close, so I had a very bright line of light through the room all night. As other people have commented there were just heaters rather than heating, but mine was turned on for me whilst I was out which is extremely unsafe as they shouldnt be left attended. The list goes on and on is all I can say.

Room Tip: dont stay here.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Theresa W
Chesham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Had to find somewhere at the last minute for 1 night due to unforeseen circumstances but would definitely not go back under any circumstances. The room was cold, no heating at all; even the extra electric heater did not work. The shower failed to provide any water and that in the hand basin never rose above lukewarm. Some TV channels did not work and one window did not shut properly. The room had not been hoovered beforehand and its decor was grubby; the corridor was smelly with filthy carpets. Breakfast was advertised as continental or English but there was no sign of English so cereals and toast had to do; at least when offering to pay for it I was told it was 'on the house', the only plus point of the stay. The staff were friendly and polite but sadly this did not make up for a hotel which was well below any acceptable standard.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank paul l
March
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I was looking forward to my stay at the Hylands Hotel, Once I got here I couldn't wait to leave the place. The park bench opposite the hotel would of been comfier than all the matteress piled up together to sleep on.

When I looked at the blanket on the bed, I found someone else's blood, maybe not even washed! Drinking cups were dirty, dirty towels, disabled friendly YOUR KIDDING ME, stairlift installed to go up about 8 steps outta 20 steps to the first floor where the rooms are. Shower had mould in it. This hotel stinks to high heaven, I feel for the ladies that have to use the down stairs toilets, also toilets in the room don't flush great, triple flush anyone!

The boiler in this place must be clean or full of spiders because it never worked the whole time we was here.

The bar, when we arrived we looked at the price list, Oooo I'll have that please, sorry we don't stock this anymore. Barrels needed changing, expensive and if you wanted a pint you might as well put a flake in it and walk around the park opposite licking it till you got to the beer!!!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT COME HERE IS MY TIP! Spend the extra money and go city centre travel lodge?
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wrighty55
Matlock, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

The hotel is very poor. There is a grubby area immediately adjacent to the entrance where people smoke and it is covered in cigarette butts all over the ground. This is your first impression of the hotel. We paid extra for an executive room for two nights which was large but very jaded, with curtains hanging off the rail in places. The heating in the room did not work properly. The beds had one under sheet laid directly on the mattress, with no mattress cover. The toilet bowl was a nasty brown colour as it hadn't been cleaned properly. I even managed to clean it up a bit with the brush myself! The bed was made after the first night's stay but none of the cups used were washed. The breakfast (although complimentary) was terrible - we were presented with a cooked breakfast on a plate, covered in cling film. It was obviously cooked some time before as it was completely cold. The people running the hotel are pleasant enough but have no idea about standards of cleanliness, etc. It is a terrible place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple