“If you can tolerate dirt, discomfort, noise and pervading sense of despair, then this hotel is a bargain.”
Review of Hylands Hotel

Hylands Hotel
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Good points:

It was cheap and there was a nice sense of community with the other guests as we all agreed it was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. We had fun comparing the shocking states of our rooms.

Bad points:

So many things to dislike! The room was dirty. A previous guest had used the drawer as a bin and this hadn't been emptied. There were suspicious dark red stains over the bathroom and toilet rolls. Fortunately those turned out to be red hair dye. Well we hope so guessing by the stained hair dye instructions left in the bin drawer.

The bathroom was stained brown and yellow with bits of mould. A chunk of wall was missing where the door had been kicked in. Our bathroom had an extractor fan hummed loudly and irritatingly throughout the night and early morning. Just when we wanted to sleep really. The bed gave us aching necks and stiff backs. There was a damaged plug socket and an ancient broken trouser press.

These were just the things wrong with our room. We spoke to other guests and each room had it's own unique failings.

We didn't bother to complain as the staff looked like they hated the place as much the guests do. The poor guys have to work there everyday. The last thing they need is more guests complaining about things they don't plan on fixing.

Oh and we didn't put up a "do not disturb" sign as there were none in the room yet our room was not cleaned, towels not changed and tea and milk not given during our 3 night stay. When we ran out of toilet paper we were resentfully handed some by the silent and stone faced staff member.

Room Tip: Don't get the room here at all.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mair B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 August 2013

When spending my weekend at the hylands I discovered many used cigarette around the window place in my room, the tie back for the curtains were t-shirts and when I sat on the toilet seat to do a poo my bottom stuck to the seat, this is quite obviously urine on the seat. There was also a lot of defication on my tv, I am still very confused how it got on my television, the place also had a very strong smell of garlic, this made my eyes water. There were very loud noises all night when I was sleeping, mostly orgasms, the head board next door was banging on my wall all night keeping my disabled son awake, who has schizophernia. I hope this has concluded my stay at the hylands hotel.

Room Tip: Your car seat would be a more luxurious night sleep
Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Tristan S
Reviewed 5 August 2013

When I stayed there I found a used condom wrapper and an almost empty bottle of red wine in the cupboard. No points for guessing what kind of night had occured previously and i question the cleaning job. I took pictures but the overall room just felt unclean and in need of repairs. Pretty much what all the reviews say. To add to that there were people talking at all hours of the night and slamming doors. Just what you need when you have paid money and need a place to sleep close to the city centre. Better off with a travelodge and don't let the price tempt you to the hylands.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank CMG99
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My father in law had booked us in the hotel while we were over for a family wedding ( July 19th/20th 2013). He had previously stayed there ( when it was a Best Weston) and it was £30 per room per night.. I had read some not so nice reviews but was willing to give it a chance.
We arrived, checked in, outside was a bit tatty but the reception looked ok. We descended up 1st flight of stairs to be greeted by a carpet thick in dust which hadn't seen a hoover, we carried on to our room ( room 39 ) thro corridors filled with black bin liners and women shouting at each other in other languages. We got in the room, which we were greeted with a sweet smell of mould and damp. The wall sockets were all broken , cracked or crumbling, the pipe behind the toilet was thick of dust, the wooden toilet seat had a huge split in it, the shower curtain had black mould spots, the bath had mildrew and dirt around the top surface and various ground in tide lines around the bath. The shower head came off as soon as I pulled the curtain back and klonked me on the head. Wall paper coming off the walls, black marks on the walls, windows. It was a hot weekend so we lay on top of the bed, there was no way I was pulling back the bed covers...!!! only good thing was, they had put in the room a fan.
Ive stayed in hotels which have been cheap and cheaper than this one but the difference was they had standards, this hotel DOES NOT...!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT EVEN CONTEMPLATE TO STAY HERE. It spoilt my weekend :-(

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank nosila77
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

• The hotel smells damp and musky. The entire hotel.
• With exception of the main light in the room, nothing worked.
• The room is half decorated. It looks like a bedsit.
• There was no hot water in the room so cold showers only.
• The staff were unhelpful. I had to ask 3 times for fan to be sent to my room (it's been over 30 degrees)
• Breakfast (not even coffee/cereal) is not included in the price
• No internet in the rooms

If you're thinking of staying in Coventry, find somewhere else or pack a tent.

Room Tip: Judging by the rest of the hotel and comments on here, I doubt there are any tips that would save yo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mattiazma
Bristol
Reviewed 22 July 2013

If you are even faintly considering staying at the Hylands Hotel in Coventry because it is 'nice and central' all I can say is DO NOT. This is the most filthy, disgusting place I have ever set foot in and it is a disgrace that it is still open. I'm not going to waste any more time listing all the problems - it clearly had not been cleaned in what one can assume must at least be months judging by the stains on the walls and furniture, mould in the bathroom and filth on the stairs. The whole place stank and there were open electrical wires in the bedroom. We didn't bother risking what breakfast was like - if the bathroom and bedroom were considered an acceptable standard to accommodate guests I dread to think what's going on in the kitchen.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Love2TravelBristol
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Externally the 'Hotel' looks tired and scruffy, was greeted at the reception by a polite gentleman, checked in and away to room with no problems. The corridoors do no smell particulally nice. The room size was good .. but thats about all it has in its favour.. Fresh towels and sheets which were good but the room smelt 'well used' and it was far from clean. bathroom very very tired with tiles off the wall and the sink uncleaned with somones hair shavings in it yuk! all the edges of the bath were black and the shower curtain covered in mould.
I could not recommend this hotel to anyone, there are far better budget priced rooms available in Coventry.
I think its time the Hylands was refurbished.. as its a great location for the town, but just very very tired and dirty

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo