“The worst hotel... In the World?”
Review of Hylands Hotel

Hylands Hotel
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Having stayed at the Hylands about 20 years ago, I thought it would be perfect for a last minute overnight stay. However, this hovel is the worst place I have ever slept in anywhere in the world! Having stayed in Youth hostels and budget hotels the world over, nothing compares with this flea pit. It was absolutely filthy. The window didn't close, the walls are paper thin, the toilet, sink and bath can't have seen any bleach in at least 10 years. The carpet felt like it was crawling & it cannot have been decorated in at least 20 years.

Although it is cheap, you'd be better off at the Formula One or Ibis on Mile Lane!

Avoid at all cost !!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank DEJohnson

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I went in this hotel one week in September 2013 and I am still shock for that experience. Everything was very very dirty, I had to clean the bathroom and sleep in my sheets. Further there were two big holes in the wall (one of them covered with a portrait). In one week they never cleaned my room. I asked for warm up the room and they brought an electrical radiator that was working just for one day. The personal never solved my problems.. And in conclusion everything was surrounded by a very bad smell.

For me this hotel should be close.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank silvia g
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This is clearly used to house refugees and emergency accommodation for the homeless, the room smelt of tobacco and the previous occupant was clearly a smoker the outside window covered in ash, there was a burn on the base sheet on the bed, bed linnen looked like it came out of grandmas closet and hadn't been seen for 20 years, decor is dated the carpet frayed, wallpaper peeling by the window. The bath was badly stained, filthy and you would have needed a wash elsewhere to feel clean after.
The 3 star sign outside is clearly no longer valid and should be made to be removed.

7  Thank Michelle L
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have stayed in numerous budget hotels and it takes loads for me to complain or write negative reviews. I understand it is an older hotel in need of refurbishing and it is budget accommodations (although over 50 pounds). However, there was rubbish and construction debris was littered throughout the corridors. When I walked into my room, I couldn't breathe due to the considerable black mould in the bathroom. The damp mould smell permeated the room. There was also dirt and grime everywhere and stains of various sorts were present on the walls, floors, bedding, etc. Even though the manager refused to refund my payment, I decided I would pay more to stay elsewhere. The conditions of this hotel warrant inspection by environmental health officials. I encourage you to look at the consistency of negative reviews on this page and stay away from this place.

Room Tip: Walk out of reception and find a room at another hotel.
6  Thank Mike E
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This was the worst hotel I have ever "stayed at" and I've stayed at some bad ones around the world. This is also my first negative review I have ever posted on Trip advisor as I try and be positive. Where to start - as other reviews have pointed out - I don't mind basic but I just want clean. As for the value for money - I paid 70 pounds for my stay. The room when I walked in wasn't clean. As others have mentioned, there is mold everywhere and the room smells. the bathroom had not been cleaned, the bed bugs, there was hair in the sink (I think someone previously had just shaved in there) the hallway was strewn with garbage, there was garbage left in the room around the sink and on the floor. After pointing all this out to the manager he said he would change my room. However, other rooms were just as bad. He then offered me a discount. I told him I just wanted a refund and he told me know and charged me for both nights even though I told him there was no way I could stay the 2nd night. He was rude, walked off and refused to discuss things with us. I hope Health and Safety shuts down this cesspit. I strongly suggest you not stay here - don't be persuaded by the cheap price - your health isn't worth it and you'll end up paying more getting rid of bed bugs from your clothes or anything you pick up from staying in this awful place. Look at the other reviews and you'll see a strong pattern. I wish I had read them before I booked.

8  Thank paddyv71
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights while away on business. It was the lowest price hotel in Coventry and I only wanted a bed for the night. You get what you pay for and I wasn't dissapointe. Like other comments there is mould, stains etc but the bed was clean and comfortable, plenty of hot water for a bath (shower was broken). It suited my needs, but wouldn't recomend the place for a romantic or weekend getaway. Perfect for a cheap business traveller

Room Tip: try to get lower floor rooms - no lift
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SingaporeMagoo
Reviewed 5 January 2014

No joke this place is horrible and i believe animals cant even stay in this hotel !! this place stink and beds are so uncomfortable like they are hundred years old , blood stains on bedsheets like u r in a brothel not in a hotel. i changed my room cos of the stinking drug and sweat smell but the other room was almost the same .blanket stink and u cant even take them on . shower dont even work proper . staff is flirting specially the receptionist khan . this place is so unhygenic and i am going to complaint quality control department for sure!! and if u get any review in favor of this hotel thats going to be from the hotel people themselves not from any person who stayed there and paid for this brothel !!

Room Tip: The worst hotel or maybe a brothel in the name of hotel!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family