“Its Cheap so we got what we expected”

Coventry Hill Hotel
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Its Cheap so we got what we expected”
Reviewed 23 October 2012 via mobile

Very dated but cheap hotel. In need of major upgrade to bring. Staff are ok despite the surroundings. If u can put up with mould then this may be for you. We would not return even though it was very cheap. Breakfast very average chairs falling to bits. Probably best to knock the place down and start again. Most of the staff were pleasant and deserve somewhere better to work

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Durham, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2012

My friend and I were booked into the hotel for a 4 day trip to the Cotswolds with National Holidays. From the outside the hotel looked grim and the reception area looked outdated, but our twin room on the third floor had matching furniture and a new carpet and immaculate bedding. We enjoyed the meals, there was plenty of choice and the dining area was spacious. The young staff were very busy but helpful.
The only negative comments I can make was that we were awoken early by the noise of the radiators.We had a great break away and would recommend the hotel for value for money.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel as there is a busy road at the front.
2 Thank Tomkinson47612
london
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I stayed here for one night on a coach tour. The bedfroom had been recently decorated so it was clean and well appointed. I was concerned that there were bedrooms for smokers, because I thought that was now illegal, and it did penetrate through the hotel. The dining room was set out like a canteen, no cloths and it was a help yourself buffet. This meant long queues. The evening meal was OK but very basic but breakfast was good. It is situated a long way from anywhere so if you wanted to out you needed a car.

1 Thank londonsilverlady
LANCASHIRE
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Well i think i must have stayed at a different hotel to most of these people . I was extremely worried about staying at this hotel.
I went on Friday 12/10/12 and stayed for 3 nights.
1 The hotel from the outside does need some work
2 Reception very clean but dated [no smells whatsoever] and the reception staff were ALL extremely pleasant and helpful.
3 We were on the 6th floor and never waited more than a couple of minutes for the lift.
4 We had 2 rooms and they were more than adequate. The bathroom was spotless with plenty of hot water and there was toiletries on display.The towels were white and fluffy and the bedding is spotless.Yes it was dated but spotlessly clean.
5 The dining room is as good as any, modern and clean. The food was good with 4 choices every night.
6 The bar was comfortable and the bar staff were friendly .There was happy hour or two with drink prices at 99p. This was not limited and you could order more than 1 drink at a time.
We were on a coach trip and i can honestly say that we thoroughly enjoy every minute and we would not hesitate to go back to this hotel.I am a firm believer of you get what you pay for and on this occasion we got MORE than we payed for

2 Thank NAILLIG
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Very handy for one night stay with parking for 14 nights and good price.And for £5 per adult dropped off at the airport and picked up when you return.Very dated but served its purpose.
And yes we would stay here again when going on holiday.You dont leave your car keys with them so you know your car is going to be in the same place when you get back and not driven around while you are away.Like some parking places.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PlymouthAngela
Reviewed 13 October 2012

The exterior of the building is concrete box, which gives a great impression of a multi-story car park with windows. The overpowering smell of perfume and who knows whatever else, smacked me in the face the moment I entered the reception area. The source of the smell seemed to emanate from the quantity of senior coach tours, which apparently frequent this carbuncle.

The greeting from the reception staff was somewhat unenthusiastic, mind who blames them, having such high class opulent surroundings to work in?

Walking round the reception rooms, bar and restaurant is very much like being propelled back in to the 1970’s. The call for bingo in the main hall, doesn’t give you much confidence.

The rooms are pretty disgraceful really. I’ve heard the term shabby-chic, drop the word chic and you have the general descriptive term for this establishment. The rooms are dirty and dated. They have a unique smell to them which did prompt a quick game of “whats that smell?”. The bed was lumpy and “worn”, the bathroom was dirty and the shower was like standing under a peeing dog. Dribbly, slightly warm and not very satisfying (not that I have tried this you understand!). Its never good when it takes the television time to “warm up”.

At one point, I sat on the end of my bed wondering “what I have don’t to deserve this?”.

On the plus side, they give you a complementary post card with a picture of the hotel on the front. I kept mine as evidence that I could tolerate such internment.

Room Tip: My tip for a good room would be:- Sleep in the car!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Razzthejazz

Travellers are raving about these Coventry hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Stayed here on a national travel organised tour for 3 nights. The building does look like a huge white breeze block. The interior dated and in need of a revamp,but once inside the rooms are basic but everything is there you will need , even toiletries and fluffy white towels. It was clean and wouldn't put me off staying again. The food was good and a good choice, including a carvery every night as well as 3 other choices. I am a coeliac and I was catered for which is a huge bonus for me. Nothing was too much trouble, one night I just wanted a basic salad and they made it for me.we met some lovely people here. The bar prices are good as well. Very good value for money

Room Tip: Ask for lower floor room as lifts are small and very very very busy due to coach parties, you can wa...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple