“Oh so cold”

Coventry Hill Hotel
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Went with National Holidays. Had to queue for ages for breakfat, by the time you got it it was nearly cold. Lounge areas very tatty with blankets thrown over settees to hide the fact they were in badly need of repair. Couldent open bedroom window

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sister52
There are newer reviews for Coventry Hill Hotel

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We had a three night stay, travelling with a coach party. On arrival it was a very cold day so the hotels heating was not adequate but we thought a nice hot meal would warm us through, how wrong could we be. Soup for starters or cold salad, went for the soup, a new pot had been put out sure to be hot, wrong, it was thick and cold. Main meal was quite tasty and a little warm, but gravy cold. On or second night the soup and meal were a little warmer. We went out for a meal on the third night as it was my birthday and had lovely meal at the Bull and Butcher. The hotel itself was clean but very tired looking and in need of an update and three rooms were broken into on our last night. So if you stay here, do not leave any money or valuables in your room. This is worst hotel I have ever been to with National Holidays, I know that they are cheap and cheerful but it costs nothing to give your customers warm food. Will never return again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Linda602012
Reviewed 26 November 2013

the hotel crowd people in like cattle in there restaurant no room to move if you wanted to get you main meal or sweet after your starter you had to move 5 people the table behind was only about 3 feet away they had 2/3 sittings we were told 8,15 breakfast ,and 6.30 dinner. I said I am on holiday and I will not be down at 8.15 well you might not get a meal,same for dinner as well and you sit here well I lost it and said no way I will eat at my time about 9am/and 7pm for dinner the first dinner was rubbish breakfast ok just dinner after that was good but I my wife my sister in law sat where we wanted .
The hotel is 20mins walk from the nearest pub on the main road jus house all around it, the room was nice ,clean happy hour 7pm-9pm beer then £ 2.20 a pint there was no entertainment on at all
not even music.
A ladys room got broke into the stole about £300 police were called the hotel said not our fault you should have put it in our safe,
IN ALL HELL WILL FREEZE OVER BEFORE I GO BACK

Room Tip: we stayed in room 409 which was ok for a couple400/412were quite
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HawkeyeKippax
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We had a 3 night break here, travelling with a coach party. It's pretty tired looking, old, inefficient windows in the bedrooms. The food was of adequate quality, though there was plenty of it.
However, the worst thing about our stay was the fact that £230 (folding money only!) was stolen from our room while we were having breakfast. We had double-locked our room when we left it, and it was double-locked on our return. We called the police (hotel staff said they "weren't allowed to") and the police officer said this was the third such incident in recent weeks. The duty manager said there were only two sets of keys. Surely the cleaners have pass keys? We asked to have the remaining two meals served to us in our room because we didn't want to leave it empty. The evening meal was served with a small, complimentary, glass of wine each.
Unfortunately, there was no sign of breakfast until one of us went downstairs to ask where it was. Five minutes or so after this, a waiter brought a trolley to our room. The bacon and egg breakfast looked appetising but, sadly, was cold - so we had to make do with cereal and toast.
We still don't know what, if anything, hotel management is doing to investigate this spate of thefts. I would give this place a very wide berth.

Room Tip: Rooms in this hotel are likely to have unwelcome visitors in your absence!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Claire S
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Cold shower. Chose this hotel as when I lived in Coventry approx 30yrs ago it was considered a good hotel. Well I guess times have changed. How disappointed I was,it looked tired and worn. My bed sagged in the middle, I was on the 6th floor and the hot water took approx 10 mins of running before it became warm, but worse was to come the following morning despite whatever I did I could only get a COLD SHOWER. I said this to the man on reception when I gave my key and his response was Sorry I'll make a note of that. The evening meal was a 3 course aimed at OAP's and I decided against when I saw only 3 star rating by EHO(it's not difficult to get 4 so 3 is worrying) Breakfast explained why, tinned grapefruit and mandarins was the fruit selection and the hot could best be described as similar to Littlewoods cafe in the 70's worst was the stack of sorry pieces of toasted bread which were black on the underside.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Stephen K
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was a 3 night coach holiday at the same time as 3 other coach parties. First morning breakfast was a shambles, grossly understaffed. They had split the breakfast times so that 2 coaches had 7:30 and 2 had 8:30. No staff were monitoring the buffet breakfasts, so some choices were not refilled when empty. Evenings were slightly better organised, although still understaffed for the number of diners. I never had any hot water for the whole 4 days, when I complained to reception, i was advised to run the hot tap for 15 minutes as the heating system was old! Buses to Birmingham and Coventry run every half hour and the nearest pub is a 20 minute walk away. For the money paid the food was good value with choices of starter, main and dessert.

Room Tip: Gound or 1st floor as lifts get very busy at meal times when coach parties staying
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank MJC777
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was dreading this stay with a lot of the comments on here, but you no it was fine. Clean bedding, clean towels every day, the staff were very helpful and pleasant.
The food was excellent for the money we paid. Good choice of main courses, with soup or salad to start and a couple of choices for desert !!!!!! what do people want !!!! it's not 5 star accommodation but we didn't pay 5star money. We went with national holidays and would go again. So please do try before making up your mind.

Room Tip: We stayed on 5th floor and was fine, lifts very busy when you first arrive and when coaches are on t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends