“Excellent value for money”

Britannia Hotel Coventry
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Buxton, Derbyshire
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of a National Holidays coach tour. After reading the previous reviews we were very pleasantly surprised. Check in was efficient and the rooms, although a little dated, were clean and comfortable. Housekeeping came in each day to change the towels, make up the bed, tidy the room and restock the tea and coffee facilities and toiletries in the bathroom.

The food was good, the evening meals were excellent and all of the staff members were very efficient, even though they were extremely busy. Breakfast was good, but rather chaotic, which let the place down a bit.

We were very surprised at how competitive the bar prices were and found the evening entertainment to be quite good. It didn’t suit everybody, but then it’s not easy to please everybody.

This hotel is conveniently situated for getting around and a great location for the centre of the city where you can find plenty of shops, restaurants and local tourist attractions within walking distance. We would definitely recommend this hotel and will certainly go back again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shoefan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I attended a weekend conference at this hotel, and I am very impressed.
The rooms were affordable and still had everything you could expect, with plenty of space.
The staff at the front desk and upstairs in the private bar were very helpful and friendly.
I was ill during my stay, and had a few slightly difficult requests, and I was impressed with the level of helpfulness of the staff who were happy to go out of their way to make sure I was looked after.

The only thing that was not excellent was the food service in the downstairs bar, which took a very very long time.

I would definitely reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
BritanniaCoventry, Sales & Events at Britannia Hotel Coventry, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on our hotel.
It is always nice to hear such positive feedback.

If you are ever in the Coventry area again, please contact the sales office on 024 76633686 nad we will book you in at the best available rate.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

The exterior of this hotel is a 1960's building, it is right next to the cathedral, and you can see the public car ark from the front entrance.
Our concerns had been raised by the reviews here on trip advisor. I disagree with the tone and content of these reviews.
This is a budget priced hotel,with front desk and housekeeping staff who were happy to help and gave good service at all times.
The food was plentiful, well cooked and good value, a carvery queue of just a couple of minutes at the height of the lunchtime demand.
Rooms well tended and clean, beds firm.
Location very good to visit the cathedral.
Speak as you find, I was pleasantly surprised and would be pleased to go again.

• Stayed September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on our hotel.
It is very nice to hear such positive feedback.

If you are ever in the Coventry area again, please contact the Sales Team on 024 76633686 and we will book you in at the best available rate.

Paris, France
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The exterior of the building looks really tired. The lobby on the other hand has a typical Brithish charm. The rooms are large but everything in them needs refurbishing as they are quite worn out. The room was clean but the matress was quite tired also and a bit on the soft side. It is strategically placed in the center of Coventry next to bus station and a ten minute walk from the railway station. However this means that there is a bit of road noise. The staff is very friendly. I had a problem with the plugs in my room which was quickly solved. For the price you pay its a very good choise.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for writing such a lovely review on our hotel.
It is always nice to hear such positve feedback.

If you are ever visiting Coventry again please contact the Sales Office on 024 76636686 and we will book you in at the best available rate.

King Regards

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Having lived in Coventry for 7 years and very recently moving away it felt weird having to pay and stay in a hotel there, so I wanted something cheap but clean and near the city centre. Our first choice the travel lodge was fully booked, so we chose the britannia instead, and I'm very happy we did.

Be warned the exterior of this hotel looks like they forgot to replace this building after the blitz, but inside it's much, much nicer and the staff are very welcoming and polite and helpful.

You get the impression that the hotel is a number of years (decades?) past it's glory days, but it still retains some of it's charm. The last few reviews surprise me as the 2 rooms I booked for my family were spot on. Very clean and the beds and pillows were very comfortable.

For the money you pay here you will not get, not should you expect, the most modern room, with flat screen TVs and refurbished bathrooms. Having said that, everything worked as it should and everything seemed very clean.

The inclusive breakfast the next day was excellent. I was just sorry I was a bit hungover so I couldn't do more damage. The lack of staff was somewhat evident at the breakfast as the guy showing you to your table also had to run off and set up the table before running back to show you to your table. This inevitably caused a bit of a queue, but the poor lad was working as fast as he could and the wait wasn't more than a few minutes. Of course there were a few clowns who ignored the queue and just walked in but what do you expect from people from Leeds. That aside the quality of the breakfast was immense, and considering it was inclusive it made it all the better value!

The Cathedral is just around the corner, I have to correct a reviewer who said it's not as close as they thought, because you turn right out of the hotel then take the first right and the cathedral is on that street a bit further up. Well worth a visit for those who haven't been before.

Back to the hotel, I thought it went above and beyond the budget hotel I wanted, so when I stay in Coventry again (and have to pay) this is the only destination for me.

Room Tip: Budget hotel with a touch of nostalgic class
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Marivo
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovelt review on our hotel.
It is always nice to hear such positive feedback.
If you are ever visiting Coventry again, please contact the sales office on 024 76633686 and we will book you in at the best available rate.

stoke on trent staffs
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Having read some of the previous reviews I wondered if I had stayed in the same hotel.My wife and I were on a coach trip with Just go holidays and we spent 4 days at this hotel.There was absolutely nothing to complain about, the rooms were clean and quiet, the staff were friendly and efficient, the food was first class, and we and the 50 plus people on the coach all stated how much we enjoyed our stay, the reduced price bar was a very welcome bonus and all in all added to a very good value holiday.We will certainly be coming back to the Britannia Coventry at the first available opportunity! many thanks to all the staff, you all were excellent

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vondoenitz
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Me and my partner decided we was going to stay here on a weekend when we arrived the loby looked lovely and clean. we booked a double room, And got 2 single beds, we were moved to a jaquzzi sweat where we had mouldy carpets and the smell was sickening!!!! we were then moved yet again to another sweat. when complaining about the matter it took them 7hrs and reminding phone call to get some answers about the mould in the bedroom! i would never advise or stay here again myself. its seedy and filthy!!!

Room Tip: mouldy, old fashioned, flaking wall paper, nothing nice or good
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple