Britannia Hotel Coventry
Very Good 4/5
Great 4.5/5
Hylands Hotel(Coventry)
1,410 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We booked this hotel purely for location and (regrettably) didn't look at these reviews.
We were only staying for 1 night but didn't even do that!
When we entered the reception we thought it looked a bit dated but once we were given our key the experience began.
As we traveled up in their lift another person mentioned reports of bed bugs and that they had to change rooms!
We went to open our door then all of a sudden a member staff stopped us and he entered the room and closed the door on us. He was in there for a few minutes and discovered it was already occupied. He came out and offered us another room 732. We went in and it looked like a murder scene! Stained carpet, ripped wallpaper, a stench of cigarettes and a bed from the 1950's. Absolutely disgusting! The member of staff agreed and offered us a free drink whilst he arranged another room. We declined as I already had the idea that we were not staying here another minute. Luckily my signal was good on my phone and I got the number for a travel lodge 10 minutes down the road which we got the last room! Thank God for Travel Lodge and Britannia Hotels can go to hell! The worst hotel I have ever entered! Basil Faulty wouldn't even work there!!! Oh and in the mean time I am currently trying to get my money back which is proving fruitless as the manager of this hotel does NOT return my calls! What a Joke

Room Tip: Go to a Travel Lodge!!! Or the Hilton :)
1  Thank Rich L
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I arrived at this hotel yesterday after a last minute booking through myfidelio site. The offer appeared to be 'too good to be true' and sadly it was!

I booked the wine, bed and breakfast deal for £55.50 for two. The photos were of a completely different hotel and the room I was allocated left everything to be desired. Tired is inadequate to describe the accommodation. The second too , upgraded... To executive room complete with spa bath didn't prove any better. The pump on the bath was 'on order', the standard lamp had the wrong plug so was uses less and the tv needed retuning.

I spoke to the duty manager, lisa, and expressed my disappointment and she kindly , effectively and efficiently sourced alternative accommodation at the sister hotel in Coventry, the Royal Court.
What can I say.... Felt like I had arrived in the Maldives! Room was all I expected complete with spa. The meal and wine were acceptable. Whilst not expecting cordon bleu,haute cuisine I was slightly disappointed it was a carvery.

All,in all it worked out well and whilst disappointed with the first I cannot complain about the swift , polite and efficient service I received from the staff.

The ratings are for the Royal Court not the former city centre hotel

Thank you Lisa. You rescued the day!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I checked in with my daughter and had serious doubts about what we were letting ourselves in for as the reception was grim and there were some very dodgy look people milling around. It was hard to tell if they were staff or guests! Only one of the lifts was working and the lift was filthy and we arrived at our room to find that it was dirty, shabby, dated and quite frankly uninhabitable. We had a twin room with a large sofa in the room that was covered in stains and cigarette burns; the chest of drawers and wardrobe were broken; the TV was about 20 years old and only offered channels 1-5 and the curtains were falling down.
We were not brave enough to stay and checked out. Thank goodness for the Premier Inn Belgrade Plaza for an altogether better hotel experience

Room Tip: Don't stay in this hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Christina S
Reviewed 8 November 2013

In over 20 years of hotel living this is by far the most disgusting hotel I have stayed in. Room was dirty, sink cracked, bath stained, curtains did not fit the width of the windows and let in light, window would not close and the room was freezing.

Drunks congregating outside set the tone for the rest of the stay. Food was poor. Steer clear of this hovel.

No parking and spend all night worrying if car was safe in an outside Car park some 300 yards away.

Room Tip: No matter where you go, you cannot get away from the fact that the hotel is run down
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Tired, knackered and worn out. That was just me on leaving the hotel. With all the other reviews here detailing the problems with the hotel the list on the 1st November 2013 is just the same. Thank goodness we had only booked for one night. My partner and I agreed that if it had been for more than the single night or we had arrived earlier in the day we would have forgone the pre-paid money and found somewhere else. A hotel where the main entrance glass doors don't quite meet flush and the entrance carpet is threadbare sets the standard and was an early warning that the reviews on here weren't a lie or a misjudgement. Do yourself a favour and book elsewhere even if it means not being in the town centre or paying a little more money. Caveat emptor!!!

1  Thank t0rchlight