“Not Great!”

Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Not Great!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Met at reception by a confrontational and rude rough looking girl named Chem? Terrible attitude and quite clearly wasn't interested.

Hotel is dated and a bit rough round the edges but it's an old hotel so fair enough. Room spacious and for the price you pay you can't complain about the hotel itself.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joe140838

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I arrived at the hotel at 1pm and was informed by the female receptionist that check in wasnt until 2pm, and when I asked to leave my luggage she directed me to the room at the back of reception where I waited for an hour.

At 2pm I went to check in to the same lady and she told me to sit down and would call me over when she was ready. I sat down and than she started to check in another and than someone one else when she knew I had been waiting over an hour! Totally unacceptable. I had to get back in the queue myself without her calling me over like she advised to get checked in. Really not professional at all.

Rooms aren't bad, but dated, and the TV is so old.
Rooms are spacious though , i had no complaints.

Didnt try the food so cannot comment there.

I probably wouldn't be back again just for the fact that sometimes with my job I arrive early and require an early check in and this was requested when the hotel was booked, and the attitude of the receptionist has really put me of coming back here.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank manibainz
Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Foyer was old style but could have been really nice, instead it was tired and dirty.
I visited the hotel to attend a training course.
There is no parking at the hotel itself and the parking available was not secure; albeit a short walk away.
I arrived very early and I wished to have a coffee (which I was willing to pay for) and possibly some breakfast.
Breakfast was being served.
The only coffee I could find was mass produced filter coffee - no freshly made coffee available at all.
I looked at the breakfasts but it all looked pretty awful. Rubber eggs and "coach party" style of food.
I assume it is a coach stop as there did seem to be coach parties there.
The main toilets were truly awful, dirty (at 07:30) floors covered in toilet paper etc.
I located the conference room.
The table was basically set up with the essentials but no board or projector.
The staff member was very helpful and literally took her own monitor out of her office however if I had not been attending the course, they did not have know-how to set it up.
There were biscuits - although none for gluten free people.
Lunch was small and very basic, again nothing for gluten free people but they did (eventually) go and buy some gluten free bread,
There were delegates on the course who had stayed over and they said the experience was not one to be repeated and they had all gone without breakfast because it looked so awful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Like Barrowboy50 we ( self, husband & couple friends) had this hotel inflicted on us as the result of booking a National Holidays Special Events 3 day trip for the Royal International Air Tattoo.
For these events National do not inform client of hotel of choice at time of booking and paying.
We trusted the company to provide a decent quality hotel. How wrong can you be! The Britannia is well located if you want to be in Coventry. Towells and bed linens are clean. Those are the only positives. Every other aspect of this hotel is negative - lounge and dining room furniture falling apart with stuffing poking out or large splits taped up. Dirty curtains and carpets in bedrooms .Scratched and damaged furniture. And the bathrooms!! I cant describe all the faults and inadequacies. This particular weekend there were 6 coachloads of visitors at the hotel ( 4 of them from National ) and the staff could not cope. One lift was not working all weekend but there was no out of order sign on it. Breakfast and dinner was an absolute joke. Everything was self service, even tea and coffee, milk and sugar. Whilst I am not against self service, I do object to having to wait in lengthy queues several times just to get through a meal. Thats assuming you were lucky enough to have got a table to eat your meal from. Mostly the food, when you finally got it, was perfectly acceptable although there was very little choice of vegetables at
dinner. In my opinion this hotel should not be allowed to advertise itself as more than 1star.
Don't even consider this hotel in warm weather as there is no air con.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank pat p
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed in the Britannia for two nights and have to agree with other reviews - it is very dated. There was quite a lot of traffic noise and also noise from people shouting in the street in the early hours of the morning. However Coventry is a busy place and this hotel is right in the middle of the city so people should book an out of town hotel if they are looking for peace and quiet. There is a lot to see in the city and a great deal of the attractions can be reached easily from this hotel. The food was adequate and what I would expect for the price paid. Bar prices were very reasonable. We did not have any problems with the staff at all but we were surprised how rude some of our fellow guests were towards the staff. To sum up I consider the hotel to be fine for the room rates being charged. It would be really nice to see the hotel restored to it's former glory but if that happened we should expect to have to pay more.

Room Tip: Most rooms are going to be noisy given the central location of this hotel, could try for one at the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I spent 2 nights in this filthy hovel, Room 513 has a toilit door that has been smashed in, it was repaired but the door would still not close, the paper is hanging off the wall and it is damp, if you want to make a cuppa there is a bit of very filthy carpet stuck to the worktop harboring all sorts is germs. By the side side of one of the beds there is what looks like dog biscuits and I should not have thought it had been cleaned for months, a truly disgusting place. DONT GO THERE !!! Ps Dont weigh yourself the words FAT B*****D appear and that is insulting.

Room Tip: The only way to get a good room is choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank John L
Barrow upon Humber, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My brother in law and I stayed in this hotel as part of a National Holiday tour for the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford. On arrival one is immediately struck by the 1970's concrete block image of this hotel. The exterior is blackened with I must assume exhaust fumes, and being adjacent to the bus station it is also constantly noisy. The staff in the hotel (when you could find them) were almost all offhand, and in the case of one person simply rude and abrupt. The room was basic and not all that clean. The bathroom was just about adequate although you needed to be a contortionist to shower as the water went everywhere other than on you! Both nights were not easy to sleep due to the heat. Windows could be opened but the noise from outside, with traffic (our room was over the road) and the local drunks choir was horrendous. Our dinner on the first evening was reasonable although there seemed to be a frequent hold up in the queue whilst vegetables etc. which ran out were replenished. Breakfast on the Saturday was a farce as it seemed everyone in the hotel had decided to take breakfast at 7am, despite the various tours and trips (at least four coach loads in the hotel) being given a time. The queue for the dining room stretched all the way to the front door of the hotel, and half way back! With such demand, the dining room was full, staff did not know what to do and this is when the one person I refer to above was very rude to a lady in the queue near to me who was told "just go and sit down and then get your food" - shouted and offhand - not nice! We had a full day at the airshow but did not get dinner on the Saturday (an issue I have taken up with our tour operator). Breakfast on the Sunday was slightly better as we took it at 9am and some of the other trips had been down and were preparing to leave.

This hotel is old and tired, and in serious need of either a major makeover or frankly demolition. I know people will say you get what you pay for, but in this case we only knew it was a Britannia Hotel, we were not told it was Coventry until the day of the tour.

Not a hotel I would consider using again.

Room Tip: Dont accept a room on the "bridge" over the road
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends