“Value for Money”

Britannia Hotel Coventry
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed 4 August 2014

You get what you pay for, good value for the money. Clean but run down. Plenty of food but average quality. Very convenient for shopping and cathedral. Would stay again on a one night trip.Staff very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ginge1949
Write a ReviewReviews (1,376)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Well we were ready to complain after the bad reviews in here, but I am happy to say the hotel accommodation, food and staff were excellent. Yes you can pick holes but why bother, we enjoyed everything about the hotel and would go back without hesitation.

On arrival we were welcome and given information concerning our stay, Lance on reception was a joy to talk to and very helpful.

The room 402 was spacious clean and well furnished. I could nit pick but why waste my time.

The food for dinner and breakfast was excellent and the waiters/waitresses, chefs and bar staff were excellent courteous and helpful.

The dining room, bar and reception were light and welcoming.

For the price we paid it was a 5 star hotel, if you want to spend your free time looking for bad things to report you could at any hotel, why bother, enjoy your stay and you won't be disappointed.

Thanks to everyone at the Brittannia for a wonderful weekend, see you soon.

Room Tip: We were in room 402
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikethewelshone
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We were on a coach trip to Warwick Castle and Stratford Upon Avon, with the hotel as our overnight accommodation.

On arrival from street viewing the hotel looked tired and worn, with the foyer decor and furnishings also reflecting this. Getting to our room, on the third floor, required negotiating a route around painting equipment on the carpets, avoiding wet half painted walls. The room was worn and tired too, and although we faced the cathedral spires, the windows were so filthy it was a peaked vista only.

We had breakfast and evening meals in the restaurant. These were tasty, plentiful and well received. The bar area was also used by us and I must say the prices were ridiculously cheap.

Have to say that the air conditioning needs looking at for the noise it outputs to the rooms. Was a constant cranking noise all the time getting louder around 0630.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank GlynWhite
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Lance on reception, is very helpful. Room good clean bed comfortable . Food lovely plenty and tasty. No complaints. Bar good and reasonable . And thanks to leader of council for private tour of guild hall- very kind.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My business partner and I stayed there for 1 night very recently. Our choice was largely dictated by the reputed availability (according to the Agoda booking site) of wi-fi in all rooms, as our business is conducted thru a number of time-zones. This availability is emphatically is NOT the case. Wi-fi is allegedly available in some rooms on the 3rd floor only, but definitely not on the 4th floor, where we were located. Management disputed that the wi-fi availability was shown on Agoda, but having this existence proven to them elicited a 'nothing-to-do-with-us' response. The foyer has wi-fi, but a distinct lack of power-points, hardly conducive to business needs. The room was spacious, but the carpet was long past its use-by date, whilst the TV was so old it would qualify as a museum exhibit.. The once-white net curtains were grey and although housekeeping appears to be trying to do its best, it is an obviously-uphill struggle. Our impression of the hotel was not enhanced by two false alarm fire sirens going off on our floor. We did not try the bar or restaurant. The elevators were slow and only one was working for most of the time.The hotel does not have any car parking facilities, so one's car must be left in an unsecured public car-park, located some 300 metres away, where fees apply, of course. Would I stay at this hotel again? The answer is a most emphatic NO!

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I beg of you, never ever stay in this awful, dirty, badly run hole that calls itself a hotel. I don't know where to start to be honest!

Check-in...well that took 20 minutes while the receptionist decided which way to 'route' my reservation (to this day I have no idea what 'routing' is but it takes ages). The concept of a business account was met with utter confusion but the receptionist had to 'route' my reservation correctly or 'they take it out of my wages' - really?? In 2014??

Anyhow, I eventually got the key to my cesspit and wandered through what I assume to be the hotels public areas - I say 'assume' because the concept of the hotel actually wanting people to see the peeling wallpaper, damp patches, thread-bare carpet, dirty skirting boards, broken lift, and general refugee-camp conditions is a mystery to me. The place they wanted me to sleep in (I won't call it a room) was no better - I actually think I was dirtier when I came out of the shower than when I went in. The bathroom was appalling. I could also write my name in the dirt on the windows (it passed the time) and the mattress was presumably made of wood. As I was tired I thought I would order room service and checked the menu which although small, seemed ok. So I called reception to order but room service doesn't start until 11pm (no mention of this in the menu). I then thought I would eat downstairs and asked if I should charge it to my room or pay cash. 'Neither' was the response as we can't 'route' your reservation properly - you will notice a 'routing' theme here! I asked if this affected me paying cash but to be honest it felt like I was asking the guy to explain brain surgery to me, very slowly. So I gave up and ate out!

The curtains don't cover all of the window so after a night spent on a hard bed, in a light room (lamppost outside), full of mould and dirt I decided to give breakfast a miss and escape before I caught the plague.

You should never ever stay at this hole, upon reflection I think I would have been more comfy and cleaner if I had slept on the pavement outside. This place is utterly appalling in every possible way. And the wifi doesn't work!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Hols_and_Meals_Out
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed for a few days. Room was clean and tidy. Restaurant busy but food good.Receptionists friendly and helpful as were all staff spoken to. We had room with balcony so could sit out and enjoy the weather. Not many balcony rooms but get one if you can - worth it.
I notice a few complaints from other reviewers .......there is always something to complain about if you are looking for faults. The hotel is obviously not 4 or 5 star but it gives value for money. They must be doing something right as they seem to be very busy and we saw them turn away some hopeful residents as the hotel was full.
Very good location for sight-seeing. If you want value for money and willing to go with the flow I don't think you will be too disappointed.

Room Tip: advise room with balcony. Wifi available in lobby
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple