“Can`t Believe there is a worse hotel in England”

Britannia Hotel Coventry
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Swindon, England
“Can`t Believe there is a worse hotel in England”
Reviewed 9 December 2009

We booked in October for a friends party in Coventry at Laterooms.com. It was cheap but having had the experience I wouldn`t stay if it was free or even if they paid me. When we opened our room door to the non smoking room it smelt as if it had been smoked in for years. The floor carpet would not be fit for a dogs basket. The bathroom was dirty and a few "loose" hairs. The sheets were scary and if the carpet was so dirty what other things lurked in this room. When we complained they offered us nothing else but air freshner. We stayed a total of about 10 mins and that to me was 10 mins too long. Luckly the Travellodge had a room for the night. It certainly isn`t 5* but it was compared to the potential risk we were taking staying in the Britannia it was Palacial. If you have any consideration for your own well being stay well clear! You have been warned.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank The_Pipers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2009

First off, it's Coventry. Not exactly the tourist mecca of Britain. I realise this. Coventry is the buckle of Britain's rust belt. I know this, you know this, we all know this. Therefore, I wasn't expecting much good in this town, and guess what? I was right. However, even amongst all the drab, post-war brutalistic architecture, boarded-up car factories, confusing ring roads, and perilous pedestrian subways filled with lurking street thugs, I expected at least a decent stay at what is supposed to be Coventry's main city centre hotel. Nothing doing. First off, when I checked in the girl (late teens-early 20s, brownish/redish hair, never smiles) was excedingly brusque and borderline rude. Far from a friendly welcome from this kid on the desk, that's for sure, but that really didn't bother me. I wasn't in the West Midlands for the purpose of making new friends. I knew that, so I didn't let her poor attitude get to me. I was in Coventry for work, and I reserved the room for 4 nights. After the cold reception at check-in I was treated to a room that was ugly, drafty and downright dingy. The bolted shut small window was extremely dirty, and it was littered with dead insects. The television was smaller than my laptop screen and it only was hooked up to the basic channels. I knew I was only going to be in the room at night, so I didn't complain. Meanwhile, across the street from my room was a noisy, smelly bus depot. The aroma of diesel exhaust wafted through my drafty window day and night, along with the alternating sounds of the bus engines revving and downshifting incessantly. Thankfully, I wrapped my business in Coventry up a day early, so as you can imagine, I wanted to get out of that miserable hotel and that dreadful town as soon as humanly possible. Checkout time is 11.00 am; however, I arrived back to the hotel from my work at 11.10 am. I approached the desk and was 'greeted' by the same unfriendly kid who I encountered when I originally checked in three days earlier. I asked her if I could possibly check out a day early and be reimbursed for the 4th night I would not need the hotel room. She said, 'sure, you can checkout anytime you like'. 'Great', I replied, 'I'll be right down to check out'. I went back to my room, made arrangements for an earlier train and packed up all my gear. When I came back down to hand in the room key, I thought I should perhaps just make sure we were both clear and ask just one more time if I would be reimbursed for the last night I would not be needing the room. I asked constipation face once again, and she brusquely told me, 'we can't give you a refund for a room you already booked', Flabbergasted, I turned with amazement and reminded ol' sour puss what she just told me before i came back down to the desk. At which, she quickly snapped, 'I never promised you a refund, I merely said you could check out whenever you like'. No kidding, kid. I know this isn't HM Prison Coventry. I'm quite aware that in our free society I have the right to come and go where I please, but you said...'Case closed', I was told as a hand went up in front of my face, and she wandered off to be miserable with another customer. A plea on my part to speak to a manager went unoticed. The moral of this story: if you must go to this ratbag city, stay out of this hell hole of a hotel! Oh yeah, the food sucked too!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
6 Thank bdm64
Woodbridge, Suffolk
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I won't writ a rview i will just post on here the the letter of complaint i wrote:

On Saturday night i and a party of 39 were unlucky enough to have been booked into the Brittania Hotel In Coventry, follows is an account of the events which made our visit very memorable for all the wrong reasons.
1; When me and my friend were issued with our room keys we were told to go to room 438, we in fact had the key for rm 430.
2;When we finally got our correct room key our room was nothing less than filthy, in my posession i have the various pieces of clutter i picked off the floor including 1 small white tablet and 1 red and white capsual (neither of these belonged to us) we also had a large piece of metal complete with screw, a curtain hook and a sugar sachet which had also been left. When we oppened the bedside cabinet we were amazed to find a massive clump of long brown hair (this did not belong to us either)when we got around to having a shower the plug hole in the bath was soo full with hair etc that by the time the two of us had finished our shower i was shin deep in water,we did complain about this to reception but the receptionist did seem to find this on the funny side however the blockage was removed from the plug hole but some of the hair remained in the bath.
3;One of the beds seems to have a used sheet on it and the sheet had not been tucked in either the other bed was full of thick black hairs which we had to remove ourselves.
4;The hairdryer was about 30 years old and was useless
5;The remote control for the TV did not have a cover on it
6;The bar staff were so rude it was unbelivable, on the bar was a wine list which we selected a bottle from, we were in turn told that we would have to wait to get it from the restaurant, when we question the bar manager further he stated that the bar had run out of this particular wine and the restaurant ran on a different system so he could sell us a bottle of their wine??? by this point it had become very apparent that he basically couldn't be bothered to go and get it which started to cause a scene as we wanted this bottle of wine, he eventually went to get it but made sure he was rude when he returned, by this time the bar was packed but only had one person serving??
7;We were told that our party had to sit for dinner at 8pm so we all turned up at 8pm, from the looks and the rude comments your staff gave us it was obvious they were not expecting us to be there, when it came to ordering no one explained that we had to wait for someone to take our starters order, the waitress was so rude it was unblievable (she lumped her water jug on the table and told us to sit down)!
8;On the menu it stated we could have Wild Boar Pate with Rye Bread, this was actually served with Riveta and the pate was very suspect and the chutney was definatly not chutney it was a clear sauce which had been left on a plate to de hydrate.
9;We witnessed one chef scratching his hair and then served the food we also saw a waitress pick her nose and then serve food.
10; The restaurant was serving frozen vegetables and frozen deserts (why??)
11;The table beside us had ordered the Pate and this had arrived with no Riveta, the Gentleman on the table complained to the waitress who in turned brought over his Riveta and promptly opened them with her mouth!
12;We were on the fourth floor, we could hear ever word of the Take That tribute act downstairs, we had no warning that this would be the case.
13; We were woken up by a member of staff at 3.15am outside our door with a walkie talkie.
14; Breakfast-Vile.Deep fried sausages,raw bacon, raw mushroom, potato wedges? and scrambled egg which had split. We had to eat toast which was so wet it had stuck together and the staff had toasted the crusts (why??)
15;Once we had sat down for breakfast one particular rude member of staff tried to take two of our seats after us telling her our friends were on their way, the conservatory that we sat in was filthy and the curtains were barely on the curtain poles, the table clothes were not changed after each sitting so we had egg left on our table from the previous guests.There were also light bulbs that didn't work in the lamps and the whole place was so dark (maybe so we couldn't see the massive cobweds that wre hanging over us?)
Overall we were so dissapointed in the state of this hotel, one of our party had to sleep on a fold down bed with a blanket and one pillow when she had paid for a "decent" room, most of the rooms stunk of cigarettes even though it states it is non smoking on the door, our other friends had a massive chunk missing out of their bath and couldn't use it, i don't expect in this day and age for any hotel to be like this, if you choose to respond to this complaint i don't want to hear the excuse that the hotel is under refurbishment as between the party we stayed with various floor and we all had the same experience-very poor.Your staff are very very rude and un helpfull and the place is generally a dump.

• Stayed December 2009
lincolnshire
Reviewed 29 November 2009

IMy freind and I stayed at this Hotel . Our bed room like evryone else on our coach trip was very cold . we where told their was blankets in the wardrobe . the bar was like a wind tunnel and very smal for the 280 guest staying .
The fod was good although each day our meal time changed on the last minute also the restuarant
so if you stay Here in winter I would recommmend You take plenty of warm clothes
the staff were mainly very plesant and helpfull

• Stayed November 2009
surrey
Reviewed 25 November 2009

We booked three rooms as we were staying for our daughters graduation. After booking the rooms I remembered about Trip Advisor and thought I would check the hotel out, quite scary! If I had read the reviews before booking I would not have booked a room even for my dog. We arrived on Monday night and I was worried about what we might find. We had booked on line and check in was very quick and easy, now off to our rooms to find what horrors were waiting for us. My husband opened our door and what a surprise, a large clean room with new carpet and I think the room had been painted not too long ago. I admit the bathroom needed updating but it was clean. Now off to check on the other two rooms and they were both the same as ours. Breakfast was an other worry having read reviews on here. But again this was a nice surprise. Freshly cooked full English, juice, tea and coffee with helpful staff.
We were only here for one night but could not fault the staff, our rooms or the location which about as close to the cathedral as you can get. I may not choose this hotel for a holiday but it is ideal for a short stay in Coventry's center.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 11 November 2009

Everything about this hotel was dreadful but people will use it because it is so cheap

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Burgess Hill
Reviewed 3 November 2009

It was not their fault that our room stank of smoke - but within 10 minutes they moved us. The bedsprings were uncomfortable - but when we mentioned it they provided a new mattress. How many hotels would have done that? We had just two nights there but the food was excellent, the room comfortable and the service could not have been better.
We have an idea how little they are paid per room by the coach company and, frankly, I do not know how they can do it so well for so little. All credit to them.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple