“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in!”

Britannia Hotel Coventry
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Gloucester
“The worst hotel I have ever stayed in!”
Reviewed 17 February 2010

I am writing today to express my total disappointment with our stay at this hotel. Having travelled all over both the UK and Europe staying in many hotels, I have to say this is the most disorganised, ill run hotel that we have ever come across! Untrained, ill informed and most unhelpful staff, the only staff we came across with any idea of running a hotel was Lisa & Graham – all I can say about these two people are that if you didn’t have them your hotel would fall apart very quickly, they are a credit!

Being my parent’s 50th Golden Anniversary I decided to arrange a surprise weekend for them with 8 other members of our family. We arrived on Friday 12th February and the following morning arranged for us all to meet for breakfast at 9.30am (breakfast being served until 10.30am). When we arrived in the restaurant my brother asked for the 10 of us to breakfast together – the room was half empty with most tables made up but he was told this wasn’t possible as the tables had been laid up for dinner! My parents being disabled had sat down at a table for four (as we were not permitted to sit together) and the waitress shouted at them “you can’t sit there – it is already laid up for dinner!” why I ask? And how dare the waitress speak to my parents with such an abrupt manner! Once seated all in different areas of the restaurant we were not told how you serve, where anything was available etc, so we made our own way only to find that there was no milk to be had on the cereal table, no juice in the dispensers and breakfast plates were 8” side plates (perhaps they afraid we would have too much food?) the toast was cold & untoasted and to add insult to injury there was no fresh tea, coffee or milk on the drinks table, when I asked for tea the waitress huffed and puffed only to reply “it’s on the table!” Totally dismayed with such a disastrous meal we left the restaurant.

Having previously booked a table for 10 on Saturday night we were seriously thinking of cancelling but thought as it was a cavery meal (and St. Valentines) they would pull out all the stops (especially since the tables were laid up by 9.30am!) We arrived at 7.30pm for our meal, seated in a freezing cold conservatory (when the restaurant was almost empty – about 6 other tables were occupied) When we asked the waitress to turn off the air conditioning we were told that it wasn’t on it was in fact an air vent which went directly outside (it was -3° outside!) my guests were freezing! The waitress came back and was asked to bring a wine list, being 10 members we would have ordered at least 5 bottles of wine together with beer, liqueurs and brandy but we were told by the waitress you have to go and get your own! I have never ever been in a restaurant where we were told such a bazaar thing! She said “starters – melon or soup?” When we were working out how many soups & how many melon (it was not rocket science – there were 10 guests & two choices?) she rudely said “NO only one at a time!” thinking she meant she was going to go around the table one at a time taking the order we had a shock when after getting the first two orders she went away to get these, after doing this five times the last two were eating their meal after the first two had finished (they obviously couldn’t wait as the room was so cold and the soup was served in cold dishes it was going rapidly cold) We all took the funny side saying that it was exactly like ‘Fawlty Towers – including Manuel!’

Main meal was work’s canteen style – just mediocre. I really can’t say it was nice at all, most guests just picked at it. So here comes desert – we had a choice of Chocolate gateaux or Strawberry gateaux, having three diabetics at the table we asked if it was possible to have a cheese board but was told the kitchen didn’t have any cheese! I have never heard of such a thing – even every domestic kitchen would have some cheese in the fridge! Coffee & tea arrived, not served but in self service jugs, again just like a work’s canteen - I couldn’t drink my tea as it had been made in a coffee jug and tasted of a mixture of tea & coffee! Totally dismayed we asked to speak to the duty manager only to find that another table had already requested his presence, I must admit I did feel sorry for him, it was coming from all directions.

Leaving the restaurant we went to the bar only to find it was freezing in there – my parents had to go up to their room to get a coat, this just about finished our night off, my party started to split up by 10.30 as everyone was so cold.

So you could say 'Never Again!'

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank GloucesterSunlover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
hampshire
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Booked with booking .com for one night to attend police training in Ryton very early the next morning. Just needed a basic room for rest and shower to start the day fresh. Arrived in Coventry at 2330... found the nearby carpark without too much hassle and thought we were on to a good start.
Checked into the hotel with a friendly night manager and were directed to our room (410). On entering the lift, we noticed how grubby it appeared but put this to the back of our minds. On walking to our room, the corridors smelt of stale cigarette smoke despite being told it was a no smoking area.
Entering our room, we were still met with the same smoky smell and hit with a freezing draught. Unperturbed, we decided to check out the room further.....

The draught was coming from the double glazed window! Our investigative skills confirmed this when we saw the curtain blowing with the breeze. We could probably have coped with this had the radiator been working. Ok maybe it wasn't all bad? We checked out the bathroom next.... The sink had clearly not been cleaned for some time and there was no hot water... bang goes my fresh start to the following day... OK as we were very tired we thought lets just get our clothes unpacked and get to bed... Opening the wardrobe, we discovered the grime and..... the last occupant's (or sometime in the last year) dirty sock's. Right we thought too many problems, lets get our room changed... Turned to pick up the phone (as instructed by nice night manager) to call reception.... we deduced it had been nicked!
Down to reception by shank's it was then. Night manager explained that the heating was not on at this time of night but we should have hot water. After explaining our concerns for the room's cleanliness, he agreed to move us to 512. Back up in the grubby lift along another identical smoke smelling corridor to our new room hooray!...

OK no it was worse.... this time we found a heater, great I hear you say! Well it would have been if it hadn't been cracked and intermittent in it's operation. Checked for hot water... nope still freezing and still the same level of cleanliness, i.e none. Final straw, we drew back the duvet to make the best of a bad deal and found pubic hairs in our bed! At least this room had a phone, so we phoned reception to complain. A member of staff said he would assist straight away, which to his credit he did.

He brought the key to next door (510) which we entered with trepidation. Our fears were duly justified as this room appeared a clone of the previous two. The staff member ran the hot water tap and after 15 mins said it's starting to warm up... nope that was just his hand numbing from the freezing water. He did however point out that there was a fully functioning halogen heater in this room... oh the joy!... Again the room looked like it had been cleaned during the last coronation with both chairs having very dubious looking stains on them. Carpet were absolutely filthy and we decided that for the good of our sanity and health we were not going to sleep in the bed. We informed the member of staff that we were not going to stay the night and he looked quite shocked... Really?

We collected our belongings and made the weary trip to reception, at least the night manager appeared a decent guy... Oh yes until we told him our concerns. He informed us that the room had already been charged to the credit card and we were not entitled to a refund. We would have to write to the hotel management. We asked him to write a letter for us stating the reasons we were leaving and that we were not happy to stay because amongst other things, major cleanliness issues. In addition, to confirm that we had checked in and wouldn't just get fobbed off with a no show statement! He wrote a half hearted letter and became really irate when we were not happy with it because he "only had our word for the state of the rooms". The Jekyll became the Hyde... We asked him to come with us to the rooms so we could show him the problems, He declined saying he was not willing to leave reception. Ok fair comment, get the night staff to come with us, he stated that was not his job. We left after only 1 hour and 3 room changes in the hotel... an hour that will remain etched in our minds forever.

We now had to find somewhere to stay at half past midnight.... God bless satnav and premier inns... Why didn't we book that in the first instance... a hard lesson learnt... Don't make the same mistake we did!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank kadave
Lancashire
Reviewed 11 January 2010

My partner and I stayed here as we were at a convention hosted at the hotel. The food was terrible (one meal, 'pasta provencale' (spelt 'paste provencale on the menu) the left over tomato juice from breakfast with pasta in it. Five of us ordered it and not one of us could eat it).
Our room was worse though. We had a 3/4 size mattress on our double bed, there were blood stains on the carpet and many other stains on the furniture. the room was in a poor state of repair - very shoddy, and smelt terrible. The windows were so dirty we actually thought it was foggy outside at first.
I took some photos, which you can see here: http://jellynewt.blogspot.com/2009/02/redemption-2009.html
Seriously, take a moment to have a look. They have to be seen to be believed.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jellynewt
London
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Hotel looks nice on first glance, but once in the rooms we found that the bedding had bed bugs!! not pleasant at all, my colleges staying in other rooms had the same problems.

Food served was awful the vegetarian option was fish and we were all served burnt custard and when we asked for un-burnt custard they said this wasn't possible was all the custard was burnt and they wasn't able to make a fresh batch.
Very bad impression for a very bad hotel.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank kej182
kuala lumpur
Reviewed 18 December 2009

I am from Malaysia. I went there to visit my sister in Warrick Uni. My sister booked the hotel bcoz of the reasonable price. But believe me...u will regret. I heard the name of the hotel...my first reaction was ' Not bad. isn't Brittania the name of the Queen's yacht?' . So i thought the hotel was reasonably good. I went there after a 17 hour flight feeling extremely tired. I entered the room and it stinks of stale cigarette smoke and it says on the door 'non-smoking'...what a joke. the teacups were dirty and the toilet was not up to standard either. the bathmat was filthy and the toilet couldn't even flush properly!!It could flush but when i flushed it...water came gushing out of the bowl like a fountain. How disgusting!!!

The service was a teriible [--]. Super horrendous. With the exception of Steven, a receptionist who was quite friendly, another receptionist(a lady who looks really young with husky voice) who was ok and the night duty receptionist(a Jamaican man who was really friendly and earned my respect) , the service of others were particularly horrible especially the duty manager in the afternoon who was a rude [--]. I leave my room at 1.30-2pm every day and when i came back...the room was not made by housekeeping. when i saw the manager, he told me ' u have to leave your room early or else we will not make it' . this is the first time a hotel manager tells me when to leave my room. he is not fit to be a manager and EVEN A HOUSEKEEPER. Even the housekeeping people were more friendly and rational.

Overall...the hotel was a shame.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank planet_euphoria
Swindon, England
Reviewed 9 December 2009

We booked in October for a friends party in Coventry at Laterooms.com. It was cheap but having had the experience I wouldn`t stay if it was free or even if they paid me. When we opened our room door to the non smoking room it smelt as if it had been smoked in for years. The floor carpet would not be fit for a dogs basket. The bathroom was dirty and a few "loose" hairs. The sheets were scary and if the carpet was so dirty what other things lurked in this room. When we complained they offered us nothing else but air freshner. We stayed a total of about 10 mins and that to me was 10 mins too long. Luckly the Travellodge had a room for the night. It certainly isn`t 5* but it was compared to the potential risk we were taking staying in the Britannia it was Palacial. If you have any consideration for your own well being stay well clear! You have been warned.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank The_Pipers
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2009

First off, it's Coventry. Not exactly the tourist mecca of Britain. I realise this. Coventry is the buckle of Britain's rust belt. I know this, you know this, we all know this. Therefore, I wasn't expecting much good in this town, and guess what? I was right. However, even amongst all the drab, post-war brutalistic architecture, boarded-up car factories, confusing ring roads, and perilous pedestrian subways filled with lurking street thugs, I expected at least a decent stay at what is supposed to be Coventry's main city centre hotel. Nothing doing. First off, when I checked in the girl (late teens-early 20s, brownish/redish hair, never smiles) was excedingly brusque and borderline rude. Far from a friendly welcome from this kid on the desk, that's for sure, but that really didn't bother me. I wasn't in the West Midlands for the purpose of making new friends. I knew that, so I didn't let her poor attitude get to me. I was in Coventry for work, and I reserved the room for 4 nights. After the cold reception at check-in I was treated to a room that was ugly, drafty and downright dingy. The bolted shut small window was extremely dirty, and it was littered with dead insects. The television was smaller than my laptop screen and it only was hooked up to the basic channels. I knew I was only going to be in the room at night, so I didn't complain. Meanwhile, across the street from my room was a noisy, smelly bus depot. The aroma of diesel exhaust wafted through my drafty window day and night, along with the alternating sounds of the bus engines revving and downshifting incessantly. Thankfully, I wrapped my business in Coventry up a day early, so as you can imagine, I wanted to get out of that miserable hotel and that dreadful town as soon as humanly possible. Checkout time is 11.00 am; however, I arrived back to the hotel from my work at 11.10 am. I approached the desk and was 'greeted' by the same unfriendly kid who I encountered when I originally checked in three days earlier. I asked her if I could possibly check out a day early and be reimbursed for the 4th night I would not need the hotel room. She said, 'sure, you can checkout anytime you like'. 'Great', I replied, 'I'll be right down to check out'. I went back to my room, made arrangements for an earlier train and packed up all my gear. When I came back down to hand in the room key, I thought I should perhaps just make sure we were both clear and ask just one more time if I would be reimbursed for the last night I would not be needing the room. I asked constipation face once again, and she brusquely told me, 'we can't give you a refund for a room you already booked', Flabbergasted, I turned with amazement and reminded ol' sour puss what she just told me before i came back down to the desk. At which, she quickly snapped, 'I never promised you a refund, I merely said you could check out whenever you like'. No kidding, kid. I know this isn't HM Prison Coventry. I'm quite aware that in our free society I have the right to come and go where I please, but you said...'Case closed', I was told as a hand went up in front of my face, and she wandered off to be miserable with another customer. A plea on my part to speak to a manager went unoticed. The moral of this story: if you must go to this ratbag city, stay out of this hell hole of a hotel! Oh yeah, the food sucked too!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business