“Excellent Value for Money”

Britannia Hotel Coventry
Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value for Money”
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Needed somewhere cheap to stay half way through journey. Found this hotel on the internet for £29! Could have kicked myself when I realised I'd forgotten to ask about parking. Phoned the hotel after booking and they said there wasn't a car park, but would have to use an NCP over the road that could cost up to £9! Grrr! Thought "That'll teach me for not checking". My own fault...

Arrived at the hotel 10:45pm. Pleasantly surprised. Room clean, bedding clean and tea and coffee making facilities! Room very hot and quite noisy as we were on the bridge over dual carriageway running through the centre of Coventry.

Got up early and took shower. Towels had been freshly washed, but both the bath towels had black grease stains on them, but as I say, they had been freshly washed, so they were stained rather than dirty. Grabbed a cup of tea and complimentary biscuits that had been left in the room and headed off to get the car.... Since overnight parking was only £1 and it was 50p per hour after 8am I only ended up paying £1.50 parking. Bonus!

If I had to stay somewhere in the area en-route again, I would definitely stay here. The room was very reasonable for the price I paid and the beds were spotless and it was conveniently placed for travelling back to the motorway.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank Scudder_uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2010

Most of the reports on this hotel are disappointing so I did not expect very much and therefore most of my expectations were "realistic".
The building is tired and dated. One of three lifts was not working and some fitments in the bedroom were either inoperative or broken. The TV had a mind of it's own and all satellite stations were off line, the heating could not be controlled and the lavatory pan was cracked.
There is no car park at the hotel and the nearest one is about 100 m away. No problem unless you have luggage, you have to cross a busy street to get to and from the car park. The cost is £10 per day, the hotel will endorse your parking card if you ask and you get a 30% discount on the parking charge.
Food was basic but acceptable. Supplies ran out at breakfast, I'm not sure why.
The staff were friendly, helpful and cheerful but that was not quite enough to ensure my return.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
sbeeke
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Myself and friends from work had booked the Britannia Hotel in Coventry as we had a wedding reception to attend in the area. We got a fantastic deal on line of £29 and thought we had ourselves a great bargain and saving!!
Little did we know and why didnt we check trip advisor beforehand!!
When we did check trip advisor and saw how badly it had scored we deliberated, but decided to give them a chance only to get a call on the Monday before the weekend to be informed there was no heating and hot water!! The bright lady on the phone told me that they had kindly spoken to the travelodge and they had rooms at £45, so we would get a refund from them and have to book with the travelodge as they didnt have any rooms available in the other 2 Brittannia's nearby!! The Brittannia weren't going to pay the difference in cost even though they had inconvenienced me?? Surely £16 to keep my custom isnt too much to ask? They were really not interested and I won't be booking ever again with Brittannia.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sbeeke
montreal
Reviewed 20 February 2010

We were told car park was opposite hotel, not quite. It's on the opposite side of the street but then you have to walk down the street about a 100 yds. Bring money for car park, you cannot pay at the hotel and the machines at the car park don' accept credit cards. Grubby, cold reception area. Rooms cleanish, mattresses were thin and skirting boards in bathroom were falling off and the paint was peeling. There was free WIFI, but it was slow. Grubby dining room and floor finish completely worn through in places. I doubt this hotel has seen any refurbishment since being built.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank propman_dave
Gloucester
Reviewed 17 February 2010

I am writing today to express my total disappointment with our stay at this hotel. Having travelled all over both the UK and Europe staying in many hotels, I have to say this is the most disorganised, ill run hotel that we have ever come across! Untrained, ill informed and most unhelpful staff, the only staff we came across with any idea of running a hotel was Lisa & Graham – all I can say about these two people are that if you didn’t have them your hotel would fall apart very quickly, they are a credit!

Being my parent’s 50th Golden Anniversary I decided to arrange a surprise weekend for them with 8 other members of our family. We arrived on Friday 12th February and the following morning arranged for us all to meet for breakfast at 9.30am (breakfast being served until 10.30am). When we arrived in the restaurant my brother asked for the 10 of us to breakfast together – the room was half empty with most tables made up but he was told this wasn’t possible as the tables had been laid up for dinner! My parents being disabled had sat down at a table for four (as we were not permitted to sit together) and the waitress shouted at them “you can’t sit there – it is already laid up for dinner!” why I ask? And how dare the waitress speak to my parents with such an abrupt manner! Once seated all in different areas of the restaurant we were not told how you serve, where anything was available etc, so we made our own way only to find that there was no milk to be had on the cereal table, no juice in the dispensers and breakfast plates were 8” side plates (perhaps they afraid we would have too much food?) the toast was cold & untoasted and to add insult to injury there was no fresh tea, coffee or milk on the drinks table, when I asked for tea the waitress huffed and puffed only to reply “it’s on the table!” Totally dismayed with such a disastrous meal we left the restaurant.

Having previously booked a table for 10 on Saturday night we were seriously thinking of cancelling but thought as it was a cavery meal (and St. Valentines) they would pull out all the stops (especially since the tables were laid up by 9.30am!) We arrived at 7.30pm for our meal, seated in a freezing cold conservatory (when the restaurant was almost empty – about 6 other tables were occupied) When we asked the waitress to turn off the air conditioning we were told that it wasn’t on it was in fact an air vent which went directly outside (it was -3° outside!) my guests were freezing! The waitress came back and was asked to bring a wine list, being 10 members we would have ordered at least 5 bottles of wine together with beer, liqueurs and brandy but we were told by the waitress you have to go and get your own! I have never ever been in a restaurant where we were told such a bazaar thing! She said “starters – melon or soup?” When we were working out how many soups & how many melon (it was not rocket science – there were 10 guests & two choices?) she rudely said “NO only one at a time!” thinking she meant she was going to go around the table one at a time taking the order we had a shock when after getting the first two orders she went away to get these, after doing this five times the last two were eating their meal after the first two had finished (they obviously couldn’t wait as the room was so cold and the soup was served in cold dishes it was going rapidly cold) We all took the funny side saying that it was exactly like ‘Fawlty Towers – including Manuel!’

Main meal was work’s canteen style – just mediocre. I really can’t say it was nice at all, most guests just picked at it. So here comes desert – we had a choice of Chocolate gateaux or Strawberry gateaux, having three diabetics at the table we asked if it was possible to have a cheese board but was told the kitchen didn’t have any cheese! I have never heard of such a thing – even every domestic kitchen would have some cheese in the fridge! Coffee & tea arrived, not served but in self service jugs, again just like a work’s canteen - I couldn’t drink my tea as it had been made in a coffee jug and tasted of a mixture of tea & coffee! Totally dismayed we asked to speak to the duty manager only to find that another table had already requested his presence, I must admit I did feel sorry for him, it was coming from all directions.

Leaving the restaurant we went to the bar only to find it was freezing in there – my parents had to go up to their room to get a coat, this just about finished our night off, my party started to split up by 10.30 as everyone was so cold.

So you could say 'Never Again!'

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank GloucesterSunlover
hampshire
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Booked with booking .com for one night to attend police training in Ryton very early the next morning. Just needed a basic room for rest and shower to start the day fresh. Arrived in Coventry at 2330... found the nearby carpark without too much hassle and thought we were on to a good start.
Checked into the hotel with a friendly night manager and were directed to our room (410). On entering the lift, we noticed how grubby it appeared but put this to the back of our minds. On walking to our room, the corridors smelt of stale cigarette smoke despite being told it was a no smoking area.
Entering our room, we were still met with the same smoky smell and hit with a freezing draught. Unperturbed, we decided to check out the room further.....

The draught was coming from the double glazed window! Our investigative skills confirmed this when we saw the curtain blowing with the breeze. We could probably have coped with this had the radiator been working. Ok maybe it wasn't all bad? We checked out the bathroom next.... The sink had clearly not been cleaned for some time and there was no hot water... bang goes my fresh start to the following day... OK as we were very tired we thought lets just get our clothes unpacked and get to bed... Opening the wardrobe, we discovered the grime and..... the last occupant's (or sometime in the last year) dirty sock's. Right we thought too many problems, lets get our room changed... Turned to pick up the phone (as instructed by nice night manager) to call reception.... we deduced it had been nicked!
Down to reception by shank's it was then. Night manager explained that the heating was not on at this time of night but we should have hot water. After explaining our concerns for the room's cleanliness, he agreed to move us to 512. Back up in the grubby lift along another identical smoke smelling corridor to our new room hooray!...

OK no it was worse.... this time we found a heater, great I hear you say! Well it would have been if it hadn't been cracked and intermittent in it's operation. Checked for hot water... nope still freezing and still the same level of cleanliness, i.e none. Final straw, we drew back the duvet to make the best of a bad deal and found pubic hairs in our bed! At least this room had a phone, so we phoned reception to complain. A member of staff said he would assist straight away, which to his credit he did.

He brought the key to next door (510) which we entered with trepidation. Our fears were duly justified as this room appeared a clone of the previous two. The staff member ran the hot water tap and after 15 mins said it's starting to warm up... nope that was just his hand numbing from the freezing water. He did however point out that there was a fully functioning halogen heater in this room... oh the joy!... Again the room looked like it had been cleaned during the last coronation with both chairs having very dubious looking stains on them. Carpet were absolutely filthy and we decided that for the good of our sanity and health we were not going to sleep in the bed. We informed the member of staff that we were not going to stay the night and he looked quite shocked... Really?

We collected our belongings and made the weary trip to reception, at least the night manager appeared a decent guy... Oh yes until we told him our concerns. He informed us that the room had already been charged to the credit card and we were not entitled to a refund. We would have to write to the hotel management. We asked him to write a letter for us stating the reasons we were leaving and that we were not happy to stay because amongst other things, major cleanliness issues. In addition, to confirm that we had checked in and wouldn't just get fobbed off with a no show statement! He wrote a half hearted letter and became really irate when we were not happy with it because he "only had our word for the state of the rooms". The Jekyll became the Hyde... We asked him to come with us to the rooms so we could show him the problems, He declined saying he was not willing to leave reception. Ok fair comment, get the night staff to come with us, he stated that was not his job. We left after only 1 hour and 3 room changes in the hotel... an hour that will remain etched in our minds forever.

We now had to find somewhere to stay at half past midnight.... God bless satnav and premier inns... Why didn't we book that in the first instance... a hard lesson learnt... Don't make the same mistake we did!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank kadave
Lancashire
Reviewed 11 January 2010

My partner and I stayed here as we were at a convention hosted at the hotel. The food was terrible (one meal, 'pasta provencale' (spelt 'paste provencale on the menu) the left over tomato juice from breakfast with pasta in it. Five of us ordered it and not one of us could eat it).
Our room was worse though. We had a 3/4 size mattress on our double bed, there were blood stains on the carpet and many other stains on the furniture. the room was in a poor state of repair - very shoddy, and smelt terrible. The windows were so dirty we actually thought it was foggy outside at first.
I took some photos, which you can see here: http://jellynewt.blogspot.com/2009/02/redemption-2009.html
Seriously, take a moment to have a look. They have to be seen to be believed.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple