“Great staff but the facilities are really looking tired...”

Radcliffe Training and Conference Centre
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Essex
“Great staff but the facilities are really looking tired...”
Reviewed 14 October 2011

It's been a while since I stayed at the Radcliffe and I have to say it's time some serious money was invested in the environment.
The rooms are basic...it feels like an episode of 'Ashes to Ashes' with the 1980's decor. The bathrooms need an update, but they are clean. The beds are comfortable though! I was in a ground floor room and what surprised me was my windows did not have any locks on them, which meant that at night I was loathe to open them as literally anyone could walk past and get in. Surprisingly my colleague who was on the upper floor did have window locks...go figure??
The hotel is generally a bit echo'y at night and the long corridors don't do much to facilitate a quiet night as guests rumble down towards their rooms.
My colleague had to change rooms, as on check in, her loo was blocked which reflects the general state of the bathroom facilities.
Food good and plentiful...real potential to 'pig out', so be warned!
The saving grace are the great staff, who make the place a bit special. I had problems booking online as the website said there were no vacancies on the dates that I needed, so I dropped them an email and Melanie sorted this out for me and was on the desk when I checked in and remembered me too, which was nice. Staff in the bar, restaurant etc all great, polite, attentive, so lots going for the place...just a shame that the staff are not able to work in an environment that matches their skills and potential.

Room Tip: Check that any ground floor rooms have window locks otherwise it may be an airless expereince for yo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank IndianaEssex
warwickconferences, General Manager at Radcliffe Training and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review following your stay – I appreciate you taking time to do this. With regards to your feedback about the bedrooms & bathrooms, please be assured that I am taking your comments very seriously and will be considering this in more detail. We are currently gathering ideas to conduct an extensive refurbishment of some areas at Radcliffe. I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast, and the service you received from our staff.

Kindest Regards,
Dannie Cahill, General Manager, Radcliffe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
montreux
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I booked this as we were attending an open day at Warwick university. I would highly recommend this for an overnight stay for anyone who needs to be near the university. The reception was quick and efficient. The rooms are fairly basic but more than adequate. Tea and coffee making facilities were available in the room. There were various courses being held at the centre but this didn't really affect us. At breakfast we were given our own table whilst there were group tables put together for the courses. There was plenty of choice and I would go so far as to say the quality of the food was excellent. Overall don't hesitate to stay if you need to be in that area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank blonaygirl
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and feedback. Your comments regarding breakfast have been passed onto our teams and I am pleased you found our offering ‘excellent’. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kindest Regards,
Dannie Cahill, General Manager, Radcliffe
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Stayed here for one night as my daughter had a uni interview the following morning. It was ideally situated being just across the road from the campus. The room was like any other hotel room with trouser press, tea/coffee making facilites, hairdryer, toiletries etc. The bed and pillows very comfortable, good choice of channels on the TV and plenty of free toiletries. The food in the restaurant wasn't to our liking.... just a bit too wacky on the night we were there and as the room service menu is the same as the bar menu, but at no extra cost (unlike some other hotels I have stayed lately) we ate in the comfort of our own room, burger nice enough and the cheesecake was lovely. Breakfast the following morning was lovely I had a really nice kipper! The only down point about breakfast was that as it's a conference facility they group people together at breakfast on long tables. If the table had been busy I would have insisted on sitting on a small table alone, I really do not wish to take breakfast with total strangers, however as the long table was quite empty it was okay. Plenty of free parking - I left my car here while we visited the uni for the day and the area outside the rooms is nicely landscaped with a pond with ducks just outside the window. Would happily stay here again, but the early check out time would put me off a little bit if I wanted a more leisurely morning (It's 9.30am). It has access to pool, gym,etc but as I didn't look at any of this I can't comment.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank valleysviz
warwickconferences, General Manager at Radcliffe Training and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
Dear Guest.
Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to post your review. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us including the amenities and food provided.
I will take your comments regarding the table arrangements at breakfast back to my team as we pride ourselves on responding to customer feedback and we will look into this.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Radcliffe very soon.
Kind Regards,
Dannie Cahill, General Manager, Radcliffe training and conference centre
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coventry
Scarman Training and Conference Centre
Ramada Hotel & Suites Coventry
Loch Fyne Hotel Kenilworth
Loch Fyne Hotel Kenilworth
#4 of 7 in Kenilworth

Been to Radcliffe Training and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!