“Enjoyable day”

Airbase - The Home of Classic Flight
Ranked #2 of 6 Tours in Coventry
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My wife bought me the aerobatic flight as a Christmas present. I am one of those people that are very hard to buy presents for (you can only have so many socks and bottles of whisky). I also have to say I am not a massive aircraft fan.

The voucher lasted for twelve months and I finally got round to using it at the end of July. Initially I thought the price expensive, but included with the voucher was admission for myself and two adults, a hard back book valued at £20, a voucher for 20% off merchandise and a year of half price entry.
The flight itself lasted about 25 mins we took off and flew a short distance from the airfield where the pilot "Olly" went through some basic manouvers before commencing the aerobatics with a barrel role. When Olly was happy that I was enjoying myself he carried on finishing on a stall turn.

This was an excellent experience and I would recommend it to anyone especially if you have someone like me who is difficult to buy a present for.

The rest of the site was staffed by very keen volunteers the cafe was clean with reasonable prices although a bit sparse in stock. There were quite a few static aircraft to view as well as a Shackleton and Nimrod that you can walk around even sit in the pilots seat. There was a member of staff there to answer any questions and give an insight into the life and use of the aircraft.

I think my son would now quite like to do the flight that I did while my wife would like to go for a flight in the dragonfly biplane.

2  Thank katyb2011

Reviewed 11 June 2011

We visited Airbase recently and whilst we could not fault the courtesy, enthusiasm and helpfulness of the staff we found the experience quite disappointing.

On their website Airbase describe themselves as being a living museum. However on the day that we visited out of around 30 aircraft that were on display only two were open to the public. We have a keen interest in aviation and knew the names most of the aircraft but there was very little (if any) information on show for the majority of the exhibits.

At lunchtime with both of us being hungry we tried to find something to eat only to be told that The Canberra Cafe was closed. We then headed over to the DC6 Diner where we were met by a member of staff who gave the impression that it really was too much trouble to serve us and with no snacks being available we had to settle for just a hot drink.

In conclusion we thought that the £10 admission fee was quite expensive and didn't represent good value for money. By comparison the Midland Air Museum which you have to pass to get to Airbase is far better value at £5.50 with more to see and is a genuinely hands on experience

2  Thank RobbyRoss
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Went to Airbase when it opened after it was overhauled and was very impressed, it was a bit of a faff to find the place, you had to go around the back of Coventry Airport and then head around the back of hangars and you ended up at the visitor centre,

The staff were really friendly and offered to show us around, we declined and found our own way around. there were some planes around on the grassed areas to look at, mostly DC5's.

There is also a Nimrod there, that you can go on and look around, the staff told us all about the plane and let son sit in the pilots seat, he thoroughly enjoyed himself finding out about the aircraft.

There was a picnic area, but as it was hot we fund a spot under a plane and had our lunch.

There was a Shackleton there, this had the engines fired up, along with fast taxi runs in a DC6 and some of the classic planes were flying too.

With our ticket came a half price return, so we will be going back again in the summer holdiays.