“Avoid as much as possible, ”
Review of DC-6 Diner

DC-6 Diner
Ranked #83 of 585 Restaurants in Coventry
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Me, the other half and a friend came for the first time the other night, after saying we would like to try it for ages. WE can only say we were massively disappointed, and shocked at the state off the food that came out. It didn't even seem that busy of a evening.

Let's start with the starters. After waiting awhile to order, we order nachos to share, and BBq ribs. The nachos tasted nice, but getting to end they were actually stuck to the plate. The ribs were for a friend who states they tasted nice but to me they looked really chewy.

We were then left with dirty, empty plates for at least 20 minutes before they were cleared.

Then we got to mains. The lads had a mixed grill each, 1 steak blue, the other medium with no black pudding, and I had a steak. On the menu it states that you could have a choice of potato, this was not given to us.

When we then got the meals, the steak which I had was ok at best, I requested medium to well but it was more to well done, this steak was really chewy to the point I struggled to cut the steak with a steak knife. I also had peas on my plate, which had some white stuff, definitely wasn't butter, but just ignored it and left them. When my half eaten plate was taken away I asked what it was to be told that it was the starch of the peas as they boiled over.

The two mixed grills were the worrying meals. Both of these mixed grills had fried eggs on which were raw. The steaks were mixed up, so when the one who asked for blue sent his back. Got his new "blue" steak which was unbelievably undercooked, this steak must of only been on the hot plate for 5 Seconds as it was still cold, complained again and all the did was put the same steak back onto the grill. They recooked the blue steak to the medium that was requested.

One of the plates had new potato's on, which were described as tasting like they had been cooked numerous times.

Unfortunately while they were recooking all the pieces that had been very badly undercooked. The rest of the food was just left on the side to get cold, so by the time the rest of the food was finally cooked to a standard that is edible without getting ill, the rest was stone cold.

Unfortunately the lads refused to eat their dinner. When the waitress' came over to take the plates away there was no apology for the state of the food. We then sat around for at least 40 minutes before anybody even dared to give us eye contact let alone come over with a bill, when the bill was finally given to us we were told that the mixed grills had been taken off the bill. Again with no apology given for the terrible food.

To me if somebody has a complaint you do your best to make sure that they are seen to with every need and you make sure you can do nothing more for them.
Unfortunately this wasn't the case, instead of trying to resolve the issues we had they ignored us and went to every other costumer and avoided us as much as possible.

So to me I advise that no matter how much it sounds like a good place to go or how eager you are to try this place, avoid it as much as possible! For the sake of your health because if it hadn't been for the fact we spotted these issues early we would have been really ill. The "chef" that was on duty that night needs looking into as much as possible because no "chef" would ever put food out that was in the state the food we received+).

7  Thank wardenk
Tony C, Manager at DC-6 Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

As per the norm lets highlight the main points. 1, they got to the end of the Nachos before they could find fault?? Funny that isnt it?? 2, Your friends ribs, says they were nice but looked chewy to you?? Lets go with his view, not yours as you didnt eat them. 3, Camera evidence shows you waited 12 mins, but its clear you told the waitress(cameras dont lie) you waited 40 mins and on here you say 20 mins for your starters to be cleared. Already in your review we can see the extent to your exaggeration. On to your mains, Chewy AGAIN!!! if you dont specify you dont want chips and you want a salad or new potatoes, as stated on the menu it will be served with chips.

The only thing wrong on the plate was the egg, that was resolved for you. We have had the same Chef for 3 years now, both waitresses that served you have been here for nearly 2 years, so me being absent didnt matter as i know any issue will be resolved and it was.

Your unhappiness with the mixed grill was reflected in your bill as we took them off. But for the record when you paid and left the cash on the table, you never paid for the other steak.

None of my waitresses are ever rude and are always welcoming to our customers(as per reviews on here), but having spoken to them they were honest enough to tell me that they had done everything possible to make things right and just wanted you to leave.

There are newer reviews for DC-6 Diner

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We went last night,our first visit,and sitting in a plane was a pleasant change,it had a lovely bar area ,albeit small,and the cockpit was open to sit in and take photographs.The sitting area in the body area of the plane feels surprisingly spacious and light,I imagine in the daytime to watch planes landing and taking off would be very interesting.I had a rump steak, with all the trimmings,which was cooked to perfection as not every chef understands rare,but it defeated me and I had to let my husband eat the last of the steak,I think a smaller steak could be introduced for smaller appetites.The others in my party had the lamb shank and the burger which were all declared delicious.We weren't going to have puddings but looked at the board anyway,and we were tempted by lemon meringue,which was declared a success,and sticky toffee pudding,which is my favourite pudding of all time,which I am sad to say wasn't that good,but that is purely personal choice.The service was excellent, very pleasant staff,the food was piping hot and the prices were very reasonable and yes we will go back.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have been here twice now with our grandsons (age 9 & 5) - the second visit was requested by them. It's brilliant to be able to dine in a real plane, on an airfield and being able to watch planes taking off and landing while we eat. The food was hot and very plentiful, the highlight for one of the boys was the sticky toffee pudding (from the adult menu) which he remembered from last time! The staff were friendly and helpful in managing a food allergy. The children's menu is a bit limited and we waited some time for our food to be served - otherwise it would have been a five star experience.

1  Thank MaggieT6
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Visited here(19.07.14) again last night with friends. Had not seen them for a while and they had not been to the Dc diner before so a get together was planned. Its been a about 18mths since our last visit, having being here around 4/5 times before and oh dear, has it gone down "the runway".
We are here just to comment on our food and not what our friends had, they can leave there own review.
The starters:-
I had shish kabab, seemed over cooked (or cooked hours before) and was very crispy.
My better half had a rack off ribs in bbq sauce, well lack of bbq sauce. The sauce was like a jelly. The rack was a good size though,filled the plate :-)
The mains:-
I had the mixed grill, far from the best i've ever had.The chips weren't good. The sausage was yet again soft on the inside and very crunch on the outside, very over done, infact it was black. The Steak, i thought was tough but was cooked how i asked. The gammon, my god, was very thin. The last place i had gammon like this was at a hungrey horse, it looked like a slice of bacon. I just thought the whole mixed grill was a let down but again was a good size.
My better half had the 10oz rump steak. It was average and bland in taste but again cooked correctly
The Desert:-
only one desert, vanilla ice cream. I've complimented dc on their ice cream to every i've spoken to about the place. The vanilla flavour being so nice and able to see the vanilla pods in it but not last night. Seemed just ordinary with no vanilla pods.
The service from the girls in there flight uniforms was brill considering they were under more pressure than they should be and did slow down the ordering of drinks etc.
The plane is a great gimmick, not something you see everyday. You can now go an sit in the cockpit which you couldn't before. Your able to walk all around the plane outside and there is a small bar area for pre drinks which can be put on your tab.
We love going there but last nights food has let in down so much for us. Is it a poor chef (maybe in more ways than one) or has it changed owners who are now buying in poorer ingrediants, i don't no, such a shame, maybe we just caught them on a bad day. Our next visit,and we will visit hopefully crossed fingers will be better!!

4  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My kids love plane, so thought i would take them for a treat. what a great idea. kids loved it . i drove all the way from walsall in west midlands. was worth the 30 miles drive.

the kids only wanted dessert and the restaurant were more then happy do provide that. even thou they were busy... i had a fillet steak which was great, cooked prefect,

overall the place is great and my kids cant wait to go again. the restaurant is well run the manager really made us feel welcome.

thamks for a great night

2  Thank Zainehasan