“Very Pleasant Surprise!”

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Lurgan, United Kingdom
“Very Pleasant Surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband and I were looking for a central, reasonably priced, clean hotel to stay in for a couple of nights, whilst we visited our daughter in Coventry. We happened upon the Ibis and, based on Tripadvisor reviews from other guests, we decided to take a chance. We got a great price from Onhotels booking site, which also included breakfast. We drove from Birmingham and found the hotel relatively easily. We parked in the car park which was around the back of the hotel. The reception staff validate the card every time you come in and then you just put it in the machine to get out. You get a new card on every entry but remember to get them all validated before leaving. The cost was only £3 per day, regardless of how many time we entered and left, and we just had it added to the room bill.

On arrival we found the staff in reception to be very pleasant and helpful. We located our room easily and were very pleased with what we found. It was spotlessly clean and had tea and coffee making facilities in the room. There was a reasonably sized en-suite bathroom, again very clean, and which had a very large shower, which was great with decent water pressure and plenty of hot water. The bed was very comfortable and there were extra pillows in the storage area and a nice flat screen television located on a shelving are on the wall near the foot of the bed.
The décor was very modern and in natural tones. The curtain was in 3 panels but when I tried to close them they came off the rail! Possibly my fault, but regardless, we notified Reception and the problem was immediately rectified with no fuss.

The town centre was within a 5-10 minute walk. It was the height of the summer, July 17th-19th, when we visited, and incredibly hot. I like walking but found the walkways that went under the main road to be a bit of an effort and I think I would have been a little concerned if I had been accompanied by anyone with a debility which impaired their ability to walk. However, the temperature was around 30C and I am sure even the most able bodied person would have found it more uncomfortable then usual to walk up and down any sort of gradient in that heat.
We didn't use the train but noticed that is was very conveniently located near the Ibis, about a 5 min walk max.

Breakfast was great. A selection of hot foods; bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage, mushroom, tomato etc. It also had a range of continental style foods and cereals. There was fresh breads and a toaster for toasting it if you so wished. Plenty of fruit juices and tea and coffee were also available. A lovely lady, who, I think, was named Lana, cleared the dishes and wiped the tables constantly and was very helpful, if you needed any assistance. All the Ibis staff were great but we think she particularly deserved a mention.

All in all, we were very impressed with the Ibis and have scored it in relation to the 2 star class which it holds, although in all honestly we have stayed in 3 hotels which we found to be much less impressive than the Ibis! We had two very enjoyable nights and would not hesitate to book it again, should we return to Coventry.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for your review. I have shared your feedback with the reception and housekeeping team. We are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with. I am very happy to see that in the light of having air cooling system, you found the room suitable to stay in the hot weather conditions. I have shared your comments with Lana who was very happy to see your posisitve feedback and her name mentioned. We all appreciate your encouraging comments very much. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Joanna Torbus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Clapham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I booked this hotel for 3 nights over a weekend, I checked in Friday and straight back out the next morning!

To start with the hallways make you feel like you are in a prison. My room was nothing to write home about either as not only did it not have a mini fridge for cold drinks, the bathroom had a terrible sewage smell in it and the room had no air conditioning. Now they are quick to say they have air "cooling" which basically means if there is cold air outside they will pump it into your room but if its hot outside, which this weekend was. You are straight out of luck! When I complained about the heat I at 9:30pm they said "oh you have to turn on the air cooling!" which I had done 2 hours . I called multiple times, I was told to open a window. At 2 am I started begging for a portable fan, nope they don't have any. Finally the very rude man agreed to let me use the air conducting unit they had downstairs, which as you can imagine was very loud. In the end I got 2 hours sleep. I woke up, packed my bags and checked out.

I ask for a refund, based on the 15 min satisfaction guarantee mentioned in the room, the receptionist refused me but said the manager would call me.1 week later I had heard nothing So I called and am now receiving a refund.

It is a shame my weekend away had to be so badly effected by this. The staff where rude and could not be bothered. The room was NOT worth the price and the overall experience was terrible. Will NEVER stay in an IBIS after this!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear Ms. Benson,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that the lack of air conditioning in the room spoiled your stay. At the same time, please let me apologise if at any point you felt that any of my colleagues were impolite in any way. Please rest re assured that we all do our best in order to resolve any queries they guests may have. Unfortunately, the hotel does not have air conditioning system built in. I can see that the night auditor provided you with reception cooling system. I am aware that each time we tried to handle enquiry, originally offering to move the room which was refused.
Like vast majority of economy hotels in UK, we do not have air conditoning and do not advertise to have it. Therefore, the lack of it cannot fall under 15 Minutes Satisfaction Guarantee. Therefore the refund was not offered at check out.

Thank you again for your comments.

Joanna Torbus

Travellers are raving about these Coventry hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a Groupon deal for 1 night which included a 3 course meal and breakfast... Everything was wow ... Lovely room, the evening meal was fantastic and so much food, buffet breakfast in the morning was also spot on and just a 5 minute walk into city centre.. Great :-)

• Stayed September 2012
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Smith,

I would like to thank you for your review. I have shared your feedback with the team. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found both bedroom as well as dinner and breakfast offer up to the standard. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Hotel was clean, well looked after and in a brilliant location - a 5 minute walk and you're in the centre of town. Breakfast was a bit pricey, although there was piles of it! The hotel itself has a bar, which was reasonably priced, and as an added bonus, it was open 24 hours. There are lots of pubs and bars in the surrounding distance, and all of them are staggering distance. The room itself wasn't massive, but it is suited to purpose. The bathroom is a pod style, with loo, shower and sink. The bed is huge, and it is soooo comfy! Best night's sleep i've had for a long time. If, like me, you always manage to leave something like a toothbrush behind, one can be purchased at reception. After reading reviews on here about the air-con, we decided to have a play with the controls, and found out it is not air-con, but a heater (makes sense, there are no radiators in the room). The corridors were clean, and smelt of air freshener, and house-keeping will leave a bag with towels and sundries in outside your door if you can't bring yourself out of those beds!. We will stay here again, it was a great price for a quality hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the car park don't have the noise from the main road, but can be eerily quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for your review. I have shared your feedback with the whole team and we are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We are glad to see that you found our New Sweet Ibis Bed comfortable and that standard of our room, breakfast and bar offer met your requirements. We hope to welcome you back again to Ibis Coventry Centre.

Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Very easy to find, for users of sat-nav, but the ring road can be a bit confusing if you haven't got one. Ample parking albeit at £3 per day. Very quick, friendly and efficient check in, although one person on their own will struggle to check people in and serve at the bar at the same time. The room was clean and well presented, with a "pod" style bathroom. No bath, just a shower. Nice fluffy towels and the bed is very comfy!. Tea and coffee makings in the room, and as you would now expect a flat screen TV, with freeview, and pay per view channels. there is free wifi throughout the hotel, and you can also connect wired with the hub in the room. Others have moaned about no air con, but remember we are in the UK, and don't often have weather requiring such "luxuries". The policy of Ibis is to sort your problem within 15 minutes. I'm sure asking for a sheet to use with your duvet would not be a problem, plus, if you are upstairs, you can always leave the window open. On leaving the "do not disturb" sign on the door, the maids left clean towels and further tea and coffee supplies in a bag outside the door.
The bar is 24hr and is staffed sensibly with "bouncers" overnight, that discourages any unruly behaviour as I'm sure the reasonable rates charged would encourage contractors due to its central location.
The town centre is only about a 10 minute stroll through an underpass (it would be quicker if you could go across the ring road), where there are several bars and restaurants open until the wee small hours.
The breakfast, (which priced at £7.95 is a bit steep compared to what is around in town) is buffet style so you can help yourself over and over again.
All staff are very friendly and helpful, and say if there is anything they can do to make your stay more enjoyable, just ask, although as stated often only one was on the desk/bar at any one time so there can be a bit of a wait.
We will stay here again for future events at Stoneleigh park, and other events in the area.

Room Tip: Even numbers face the car park- quieter
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to thank you for your very positive comments. I have shared your feedback with reception, housekeeping and maintenance departments. We are all very pleased that our standards met your expectations both in regards to hotel bedrooms, cleanliness and breakfast offer as well as customer care. We very much appreciate your comments and your approach to air conditioning system in the hotel. We hope to welcome you back soon- maybe during next Stoneleigh event.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

The hotel needs something of a facelift, but the room was clean, the bed comfy, and the shower good.

I asked for a quiet room, and that was sorted. The staff were friendly and helpful.

This hotel is a short walk from the centre, and I would recommend going into town for tea - the food at the IBIS wasn't great... I had a jacket potato with tuna mayo (very nice), a corn on the cob (horrid) and the cheesecake (frozen in the middle and soggy). I would advise nipping to Nandos.. its only a 10 minute walk.

It is also close to the train station, and just off the ring road, so easy to get to.

I would stay here again, as on the whole it was OK. I generally stay at the premier inn up the road, which is far better.

Oh, and the air con didn't work, at all. It wasn't a big deal for me - but I can imagine it'd be awful on a really hot day!

Room Tip: I was in 130 - nice and quiet, with a view of the car park.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Ibis Coventry Centre, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Ms Day,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to see that you found our New Sweet Ibis Bed comfortable, hotel clean and that you liked the shower room. I have also shared your positive comments in regards to customer care with the whole team. At the same time please accept my apologies for the standard that the food served fell below your expectations. I have shared your feedback with the team working on the day. I was very sorry to hear that despite following up on the meal, none of the issues were raised. We would have replaced the meals or offer refund shall any of the problems been shared with us.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Ibis Hotel.