“Hard to put into words how bad this was”

Coventry City Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coventry
Coventry City Hotel
Ranked #37 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Hythe, United Kingdom
“Hard to put into words how bad this was”
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I wanted a cheap and cheerful overnight stay after a long and tiring ride on a motorcycle rally around Wales.

The hotel is in the centre of town and is alongside the Ibis. The F1 reception was uninviting and a note pinned on the wall said to go the Ibis to book in. Here the staff were friendly and checked me in despite me dripping water all over their bar area. Top marks to the Ibis guy that booked me in.

Once in the F1 via a swipe card entry I was met by a security guard behind a desk who showed me to my room. My neighbours seemed to be factory workers using the hotel as a doss house rather than travellers. I got this from the notes taped to their doors. Although I was a late arriving, the noise from the corridors of drunken women shrieking kept me awake until after 3am.

To be honest for £23 a night you can't expect much and this F1 was shabby with worn and dirty carpets, cigarette burns on the window ledges. The bedding although clean was riddled with cigarette odour.

This might seem harsh, but nothing I didn't tell Accor hotels in their post stay survey. I have stayed at many F1's across France and Belgium and none have been this bad.

Room Tip: Book at the Ibis.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2011
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay. I am sorry that despite security being on duty each night, you did not have good night sleep due to the noise. I have shared your feedback with Housekeeping Department and am currently investigating the matter. Please feel free to contact me on 02476 250 500 to discuss this further. Kind regards, Joanna / General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Medway,UK
Reviewed 17 April 2011

I have stayed in a lot of budget accommodation but this was by far the worst. To be fair on first impressions the room was clean and adequate, but the lack of toilets in the room was disappointing. I could have coped with a normal, but clean shared bathroom, but what is provided is a plastic box with an integral toilet. As you sit for the first time and read the notice, it tells you that the box is self cleaning and not to enter if the red light is on, and you realise that you have no idea if it was on before you entered. The constantly wet floor is disconcerting to say the least, and you can only pray that the self clean function is responsible. We decided not to risk the shower, and instead opted to use the basin provided in the room. The room was also very noisy, but the bed comfortable and appeared freshly made. I would not have like to have shared the room with a third person in the bed above and would have spent the night waiting for them to fall on me. There was only one plug socket in the room which was not properly connected to the wall.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
IbisCovManager, General Manager at Coventry City Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Formule 1 Coventry Centre. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. Please, let me inform you that we have recently installed additional bathroom extraction fan so that the humidity you mentioned is significantly reduced. I have also shared your comments in regards to the noise with the security team present in the hotel every night. We are looking into the matters you kindly brought to our attention. Kind regards, Joanna / General Manager.
swansea
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I have stayed in many low cost locations as well as the very best, This place was booked for me to stay in whilst doing some sub contract work in the Coventry Area.
The place was awful, the room smelt of smoke, the bed sheets were not clean and the ablutions were shocking.
There was hassle booking in as the chap on reception was arguing with a customer who was seeking directions to somewhere in the town. There was a long wait as the reception was manned by on person who was also manning the Bar for the IBIS (You book into the Formule 1 in the IBIS). the attitude of the staff is totally offhand.
I left this hotel/hostel/cell in the morning and cancelled what should have been 5 nights. I had a poor night sleep, the shower in the morning was hot, but thats the best i could say about it, there were people walking around in underwear in the morning to use the toilets etc. The toilets were filthy and apparently self cleaning, I waited and used a local service station !!!.
Pay a few more pound and get a decent B &B !!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
glasgow
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Worst place I have ever stayed by a mile. Smelly room. You lie on a bed and there is a bunk over your head which would be fine other than the fact the underside was all vandalised with graffiti, not the most pleasant sight to greet you could wake up to. Electric sockets hanging off the wall. Nutters hanging about. Yes you expect it to be basic but I have stayed in youth hostels far cheaper than this with far better standards. Toilets a disgrace. Did not feel safe at all, could have cried when I saw it, we lasted about ten minutes and had to make an escape to the Ibis across the car park. Never have I been so relieved to see an Ibis hotel room.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deathsblackdove
Eire
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Horrible. Rooms tiny and smelly. Bedsheets stained. Toilet (a plastic box) smelly and dirty. Showers (another plastic box) filthy. Couldn't wait to get home and wash! Avoid this place - even though it's cheap, I'd expect higher standards of cleanliness.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 7 June 2009

I chose this based on the price and location. I didn't realise until my arrival that the rooms have no toilets - you have to share toilets and showers out in the corridor. The shared toilets are disgusting - they are supposedly self cleaning but both that I tried stank of urine, had wet floors, and did not look clean at all. There are also no toilet seats, so if you are a woman it is very awkward. The shared showers mean that you meet semi-naked people with wet hair dressed only in towels in the corridors. The budget price seemed to attract students and stag/hen parties, both nights the corridor outside my door was full of shouting people, banging doors, and parties apparently going on in rooms, and my door was not soundproof whatsoever so it was extremely noisy until late into the night (thankfully I had earplugs but even those didn't block it all out). The room itself was extremely basic, with a bunk bed over top of a double bed, a sink, and a small desk and chair, and a television which only received the terrestrial channels. There is only one light positioned as part of the bed frame between the bed and sink, so the room is gloomy at night and there is no comfortable place to read unless you actually get into bed. There is one small window with a springloaded blind, so your choice is to be exposed to the world or plunged into gloom. As a single woman traveller, I felt very uncomfortable coming and going from my room, I never saw any staff in the Formule 1 and there is no reception - you check in at the Ibis across the parking lot. There was litter in the hallways on the second day.

I disagree that this is value for money - the Travelodge was advertising rooms from £29 per night in Coventry station, I wish I had stayed there and had a safer room in a staffed hotel and my own bathroom. The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that the continental breakfast served over in the Ibis was actually quite nice, with fresh baguettes and pastries, and a small selection of meats and cheese.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business